transfer, please help!

hello, i'm currently try to transfer to another ups hub.
i will have my one year seniority at the end of sept.
they're now telling me that i have to enrole and be accepted into a college *or a credited school* and that i cannot move during peak season.
if i just quit i'll lose all the money i got from raises, and i'll have to start from scratch.
is there any way around this at all.
this is a MAJOR set back.
i dont know what to do.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

so you cant move for any other reason other than "educational transfer"?

what if you have to move for family reasons?

ya' know actually i'm tacking this in stride, maybe it's a good thing.
i'm not sure if working at ups when i move, will pay the bills where i'll be living.
maybe i'll just get a full time job somewhere other than ups.

the whole thing just angers me because i bust my ass like every other loader, only to be diasspointed by piss poor human resource people and crappy policies that make no sense, or that help the employees they SHOULD be trying to keep....

high turnover rate anyone?
haha

so i'm pretty much screwed then huh?

i mean i understand the peak season part, no questions there.
i just dont understand why it must be "educational" to transfer.

seriously what if my grama' was dying and i had to go somewhere to help her out.

thanks for the info
i greatly appreciate it.
-ts fan

drewed

Shankman
so you cant move for any other reason other than "educational transfer"?

what if you have to move for family reasons?

ya' know actually i'm tacking this in stride, maybe it's a good thing.
i'm not sure if working at ups when i move, will pay the bills where i'll be living.
maybe i'll just get a full time job somewhere other than ups.

the whole thing just angers me because i bust my ass like every other loader, only to be diasspointed by piss poor human resource people and crappy policies that make no sense, or that help the employees they SHOULD be trying to keep....

high turnover rate anyone?
haha

so i'm pretty much screwed then huh?

i mean i understand the peak season part, no questions there.
i just dont understand why it must be "educational" to transfer.

seriously what if my grama' was dying and i had to go somewhere to help her out.

thanks for the info
i greatly appreciate it.
-ts fan

first calm yourself most hr people do a great job and 2nd they have no part in the process beyond doing the paperwork. the union determined the rules for union transfers, its too much of a hassle to deal with seniority issues and bumping people out of jobs and such....

i believe you can get a hardship/medical transfer, but youd have to produce documentation that either your health would be benfieted from moving to whereever or your grandma needed personal care and you needed to be there (not sure on that part, i know the medical is a yes)

actually my asthma would benefit by a warm souther climate.
and i take back part of the HR part, a few were gentle souls,
but a few are not.
that's everywhere, enough of that haha.

as far as hardship...the more i think about it
the more it seems to be a hardship to work at ups.
honestly.
i might just save what money i can, cross my fingers and hope for the best and try to land a full time job.
as much as i say this isnt discouraging, it must be...i'm up at 1am and worried sick haha.
oh well that's my problem to deal with.

thanks again
-ts fan

drewed

Shankman
well tell your hr that you have a dr's note saying your asmtha is be exasperated in the current climate and a position in would be benficial to your health, you know itd be better to go down there and atleast have some sort of income lined up then just sorta bum around for a bit

IDoLessWorkThanMost

forget all of what Drewed is saying. Apply to a college, get accepted, and tell them (UPS) you're going to school and need to transfer. You don't have to goto school, just transfer hubs then cancel the school part. ;)

update:
at the pullers meeting today i spoke to my day sort manager,
and he told me that i might qualify for hardship transfer
so i'm going to talk to my HR rep tomm. he wasnt in today, or was out doing something with his car...i dont know...
my co-worker's dad is also decently high up in the local union, he's going to check into for me...i mean it might not help but it's something ya' know.

and i'm not going to pull any fasts ones, eventhough i thought of it.
it doesnt work out and they wont work with me, then so be it.

thanks for all the input guys.

-ts fan

drewed

Shankman
update:
at the pullers meeting today i spoke to my day sort manager,
and he told me that i might qualify for hardship transfer
so i'm going to talk to my HR rep tomm. he wasnt in today, or was out doing something with his car...i dont know...
my co-worker's dad is also decently high up in the local union, he's going to check into for me...i mean it might not help but it's something ya' know.

and i'm not going to pull any fasts ones, eventhough i thought of it.
it doesnt work out and they wont work with me, then so be it.

thanks for all the input guys.

-ts fan

yea, the hard part part is getting your manager to approve (sounds like they are understanding) and that theyre hiring in the area that your moving and they approve (most do if they get good word from your building)

good luck

Overpaid Union Thug

in my exp they dont accept acceptance, you have to be enrolled

That would be BS. What if someone is planing on transferring so that they can attend the following semester and are wanting to be settled in BEFORE said semester starts? That is what I did. Maybe they don't want to wait until the last minute. I didn't. Requiring that they are enrolled is ridiculous and only makes it more difficult for the person trying to transfer. Or is that the real agenda? We've had four or five people transfer into my center (including me) and none of us had to wait until the last minute (right after enrolling) to get our transfers approved. We only needed to turn in copies of our acceptance letters and that's how it should be. Man, sometimes I think HR puts these stupid rules in place just to make it hard on people. I know some hubs have a high turnover rate but that doesn't mean they should pull stunts like this to keep people from leaving.

drewed

Shankman
That would be BS. What if someone is planing on transferring so that they can attend the following semester and are wanting to be settled in BEFORE said semester starts? That is what I did. Maybe they don't want to wait until the last minute. I didn't. Requiring that they are enrolled is ridiculous and only makes it more difficult for the person trying to transfer. Or is that the real agenda? We've had four or five people transfer into my center (including me) and none of us had to wait until the last minute (right after enrolling) to get our transfers approved. We only needed to turn in copies of our acceptance letters and that's how it should be. Man, sometimes I think HR puts these stupid rules in place just to make it hard on people. I know some hubs have a high turnover rate but that doesn't mean they should pull stunts like this to keep people from leaving.
'
or they couldnt allow t'fers at all and really hose anyone.
but as someone stated above its too easy to get an acceptance letter, enrollment is a commitment to go to school

Overpaid Union Thug

'
or they couldnt allow t'fers at all and really hose anyone.
but as someone stated above its too easy to get an acceptance letter, enrollment is a commitment to go to school

They are required to allow transfers (per the contract) so that is not a factor. It is just as easy to enroll as it is to get an acceptance letter. Any HR that requires proof of enrollment clearly is under the mind set that each and every employee is only trying to cheat the system so that is why they have those rules. But in the end its the legitimate transfers that end up suffering. Some people's decisions on whether or not to attend an upcoming semester might depend on whether or not they can transfer the job at UPS. They want to continue getting their pay and benefits without having to quit. That is the whole point of transferring.

drewed

Shankman
They are required to allow transfers (per the contract) so that is not a factor. It is just as easy to enroll as it is to get an acceptance letter. Any HR that requires proof of enrollment clearly is under the mind set that each and every employee is only trying to cheat the system so that is why they have those rules. But in the end its the legitimate transfers that end up suffering. Some people's decisions on whether or not to attend an upcoming semester might depend on whether or not they can transfer the job at UPS. They want to continue getting their pay and benefits without having to quit. That is the whole point of transferring.

they are required to allow transfer for pt per the contract, but there isnt any recourse for an employee that has their t'fer denied on either end.

Enrollment normally requires some sort of proof of finicial aid and thusly wouldnt be as easy as acceptance.

Why wouldnt HR be under the mind set that people are out to screw them? the first post in this thread that wasnt from the OP said blow off everything I said, get an acceptance letter and screw UPS over.

I completely understand the reasons for transferring, you wont get an arguement from me about there being completely valid reasons. but with 400,000+ employees in thousands and thousands of buildings, but the headache for the union and the company are daunting enough for them to make it a pain to t'fer

i'm just going to hope for the best, i'm not however going to "lie" or screw ups over.
if they cant do it, so be it.
it would take more time for me to lie and plus that's just bad karma.
if they cant do it, they cant do it.
i'm going to put my withdrawl card in with the union and so for and just go down to Raleigh, NC and hope for the best.
if anyone works in the raleigh hub, let me know, and/or put in a good word for me haha.

i'm sick of spending time worrying about it, i know it's a big issue but the more it goes on the more a full time job would suffice my needs anyhow.
ups was just going to be a quick paycheck as soon as i moved, and i was going to take it from there and weigh my options on how to move up.

ya' know the funny thing about all of this.
i just got asked to send in my letter to be a supervisor today...i'm 100 percent serious.
haha

go figure huh?!

drewed

Shankman
That could be an option, tell your sup your interested (only if you are of course) but still have the need to and ask him if he has any contacts in the Raliegh center. right now your making about 10-11? pt sup you be making from 14-17 based off of 27.5 hrs after that to 40 its +10% then after 40 its standard ot, you get paid twice a month and an additional half months pay in dec.

yup with my pullers dollar raise and my 85 cent union raise i make about 1085 right now, i'll get 50 cents more towards the end of sept *my year seniority*.
so that will be 1135
i'd just hate to lose that and start my scratch and have to pay union dues once i'm down there.
then i'd be in big trouble and i'd def. have to get a second job.
but i will of course put down on my letter and ask for contacts in raleigh.
off to bed finally.