Two routes in one day...

Hedley_Lamarr

Have any of you guys ever done a regular route during the day, and then done an air route at night? I did this all last week. 55 total hours in last week. Everybody in my center thinks I'm crazy. I need the money, and my center manager and on car know this. The only down side is I slept almost all day today (Saturday.)

softshoe

Have any of you guys ever done a regular route during the day, and then done an air route at night? I did this all last week. 55 total hours in last week. Everybody in my center thinks I'm crazy. I need the money, and my center manager and on car know this. The only down side is I slept almost all day today (Saturday.)

That is no big deal. Most drivers in our center put in that many hrs in a week.

barnyard

KTM rider
I used to routinely work 50+ hours a week. 58 is the most I have done.

Lately, it's been right around 50. I have also been looking for extra work. Before I asked for the extra work, 45-50 was the norm.

HIJACK ALERT

I really don't know why some of the guys in my center work 2 jobs. My daughter is at the Mayo clinic right now, so my wife is there with her, taking at least 3 weeks of FMLA. I asked for the extra work, got it and that, combined with being able to stay at the Ronald McDonald House is going to make this financially feasible.

I can see how, if I did not work at UPS, it would be hard to hold onto what we have. There is not enough time in the weekend to make what I earn with an extra 5-6 hours a week of OT.

END HIJACK

TB

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Do they go out with 170 on the regular route, finish by 6:15, then start the air route??

Is this the daily plan for you? Does the stop count go lower sometimes? Be careful please. We all love the OT but too much work can be hazardous. A sprain a strain a tear and out the window it goes.

DS

Fenderbender
. My daughter is at the Mayo clinic right now, so my wife is there with her, taking at least 3 weeks of FMLA. I can see how, if I did not work at UPS, it would be hard to hold onto what we have.
------------------------------------------
I admire your courage and tenacity.I pray that your efforts will not go unrewarded.

TB

Last edited:

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Thursday, they dissolved the route next to me and gave all the work to me. It probably would have worked out to a 20 hr. planned day if I didn't make a fuss. They begrudgingly pulled off just enough for me to make it in in just under 12.5, I guess the threat of 80 or so service failures got their attention. It latter turned out, that they were told by the almighty IE to add routes that day-- not cut them....At least that only happens around here only a couple times a week....LOL

satellitedriver

50hrs a week is my low average for the past 5 yrs.
I am 55 and have driven for over 22 yrs.
Maybe, some brain can come up with a formula based on age and hours worked? I think age and hours worked should equal about 100.
You need the money, take it.

upsgrunt

50hrs a week is my low average for the past 5 yrs.
I am 55 and have driven for over 22 yrs.
Maybe, some brain can come up with a formula based on age and hours worked? I think age and hours worked should equal about 100.
You need the money, take it.

Bad news for the 25-30 year old!:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do they go out with 170 on the regular route, finish by 6:15, then start the air route??

Hedley, I can certainly understand when finances get tight but, as Steve pointed out, you need to be careful because the last thing that you need at this point would be an injury. If you are having a tough time getting by now just imagine trying to get by on what comp pays.

New Englander, this is not peak--give the guy a break.

Just curious, this air route that you are doing--are you bumping the regular driver for that route or are you filling is because he is on vacation?

New Englander

Hedley, I can certainly understand when finances get tight but, as Steve pointed out, you need to be careful because the last thing that you need at this point would be an injury. If you are having a tough time getting by now just imagine trying to get by on what comp pays.

New Englander, this is not peak--give the guy a break.

Just curious, this air route that you are doing--are you bumping the regular driver for that route or are you filling is because he is on vacation?

I'm not going to give him a break. His last response clearly showed he was looking for a pat on the back. Great he's doing 170 stops then going to do an air run! It's no different from what we all do December and most of January, except we don't get the cushy/easy air run.

We have several routes in our center that will net you 50+ hours a week easily if you want it.

I'd be more worried about my finish time and my report to work time.

I've also had the joy of working preload then doing my full route for the week many times in the past when we've been down preloaders - thats the same thing as well.

I'm grumpy tonight anyways!

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Back in the days before UPS had rules, the part timers were able to work alllllllllllllllll day! I was a pre-loader for 3 years and for almost all that time I was a certified driver (a.k.a. able to drive routes). I would routinely work from 3am to 8am in pre-load and than run a route untill 8pm. My all time record war one peak with pre-load starting at 1:30am and I drove a route untill 9:30 pm, the worse part about it was that it was on a Friday and I drove on Saturdays and I covered the airport run starting at 3am. I dont know how I did it but I did, just be thankfull that the newbies will never see this side of UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NE, you make some very valid points for which I have no argument because I agree with them. My only point was that it is not peak and he is busting his butt for a week to maybe catch up on a bill or two.

I bet you'll be in a much better mood tomorrow when the Patriots crush the Dolphins. It looks like it will be the Sox and the Angels in the first round of the playoffs as Tampa is just not going to fade.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They gave me two routes to do in one day once. I did all of one and half of the other. The other 150 stops I just brought back to the building at 11:30 at night. :anxious: Never despair, a new day is always just around the corner!:wink2:

rushfan

I regularly put in 59.88 hours in the feeder dept. It's easy in feeders to do so, but I couldn't stand to do so in package.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've done the afore mentioned bid run and then cover and air run. no big deal. at te time I wasn't married and had no kids so it didn't matter how much I woked. The extra money was nice at the time. Now its more important for me to get home to my family. They can have their money.

New Englander

NE, you make some very valid points for which I have no argument because I agree with them. My only point was that it is not peak and he is busting his butt for a week to maybe catch up on a bill or two.]

I bet you'll be in a much better mood tomorrow when the Patriots crush the Dolphins. It looks like it will be the Sox and the Angels in the first round of the playoffs as Tampa is just not going to fade.

Good ol' Joey Porter. Why on earth do players on bad teams run off at the mouth? Lol

I've got to give Tampa credit....they deserve it this season, even the Sox with the injuries have done well to stay in it.

I'll be just as grumpy today :) I have to replace the fusebox in the VW Corrado we just purchased a couple weeks ago as our winter fun project! There's not a whole heck of room under the dash.