two weeks on one paycheck

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

we can use our sick days as a vacation week so it was a scheduled vacation.​

Call it what you will but you have no one to blame but yourself.

3/1 Vacation check not in system----did not tell anyone.

3/8 Vacation check still not in system---finally got off butt and told supervisor.

3/15 Vacation check paid.

4/3 Corvette is out of luck with no one to blame but himself.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm having trouble seeing valid grievance that will produce anything. Perhaps there's something in your local, but I am having trouble seeing any tangible result from a grievance at this stage.

The timeline is a little muddy for me without all the dates, but my understanding is you were on "vacation" the week ending 3/16/13. There should have been a check reflecting that no later than 3/7/13(as you state you get paid on Thursdays). There wasn't so company fault there.

Article 17 3rd para 1st sentence

Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation.

If you had let the company know immediately, or at least right after coming back from the vacation, instead of 2 weeks later 3/21/13 the company might have acted differently instead of just putting it in with the current weeks payroll to be sent out on 3/28/13.

Article 17 3rd para 2nd sentence

If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air.

Reasonable is the key word. By waiting 2 weeks to let management know you basically said to them, "Hey, I wasn't paid but no rush getting it to me." Management acted in accord to the sense of urgency you gave them so they just added it to the very next paycheck you'll get.

I don't know why they didn't cut it as a separate check, but they technically did not short you any pay. Taxes are a bitch, but the company still paid the full amount before taxes were deducted so what exactly are you trying to get from this grievance?

Really, I'm with you if the company had shorted you time or pushed off paying you for weeks after being notified, but I'm just not seeing what a grievance will accomplish. I can really see management at the hearing for the grievance being "We paid you after you waited weeks to let us know you weren't paid right and now you're going to complain the government taxed you?"

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
He asked why he didn't get paid and they paid him he doesn't have a grievance he got paid... You can't file a grievance because you pay check was to big and because of that they took a high percent of taxes out of it.

Two weeks on one check is enough for anyone to file. And it doesnt matter the outcome or reason. You need to learn their tactics to aviod them in the future. Its a matter of reason over taxes, dues and all-of-the-above. It should be brought up so they and the worker can document the fail on the mark. Money is money, you should treat any threat upon it as a threat upon you and nothing more.

File, wait and file again if it doesnt suit you. This is wrong on many levels.

Kae3106

Thats what im doing..i would have been fine as long as it was on a separate check

If it had been in the scheduler properly and you had the time available, it would have been paid on time and as a separate check. Since something went wrong and your supervisor had to put in an adjustment to get you paid, it was paid along with your current earnings. If the supervisor had specifically requested a separate check, Payroll would have paid it separately. If no such request is made, the default is to add it to the current check. This does impact the federal and state withholding as the federal on two $500 checks is not the same as one $1000 check.

You have a couple of options here if you want to adjust the tax withholding. One is to send the check back to Payroll and ask them to reissue it as two separate checks. Or you could have your supervisor put in another adjustment and ask them to recalculate the check as if it had been paid separately and refund you for the excess federal and/or state withholding. (There will be no effect on Fica/Medicare) Or, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, you can tweak your W-4 settings on upsers for a week or two...instead of 2 allowances, change it to 3 or 4, for example. Just remember to set it back or you'll owe at the end of the year. I have seen all of these things done regularly in Payroll.

Vacations/sick weeks/option weeks that are scheduled and taken as time off are paid at the employee's normal withholding rates. Vacations/sick weeks/option weeks that are cashed out and not taken as time off are paid at the supplemental withholding rates...currently 25% federal. If a cashout and regular wages are on the same check, the payroll system will calculate the taxes separately based on the type of earnings.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not to discount the OP's concern but I consider myself a by the book guy, that being said, this whole thing seems pretty excessive.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If it had been in the scheduler properly and you had the time available, it would have been paid on time and as a separate check. Since something went wrong and your supervisor had to put in an adjustment to get you paid, it was paid along with your current earnings. If the supervisor had specifically requested a separate check, Payroll would have paid it separately. If no such request is made, the default is to add it to the current check. This does impact the federal and state withholding as the federal on two $500 checks is not the same as one $1000 check.

You have a couple of options here if you want to adjust the tax withholding. One is to send the check back to Payroll and ask them to reissue it as two separate checks. Or you could have your supervisor put in another adjustment and ask them to recalculate the check as if it had been paid separately and refund you for the excess federal and/or state withholding. (There will be no effect on Fica/Medicare) Or, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, you can tweak your W-4 settings on upsers for a week or two...instead of 2 allowances, change it to 3 or 4, for example. Just remember to set it back or you'll owe at the end of the year. I have seen all of these things done regularly in Payroll.

Vacations/sick weeks/option weeks that are scheduled and taken as time off are paid at the employee's normal withholding rates. Vacations/sick weeks/option weeks that are cashed out and not taken as time off are paid at the supplemental withholding rates...currently 25% federal. If a cashout and regular wages are on the same check, the payroll system will calculate the taxes separately based on the type of earnings.

+ as usual.

UPSGUY72

Two weeks on one check is enough for anyone to file. And it doesnt matter the outcome or reason. You need to learn their tactics to aviod them in the future. Its a matter of reason over taxes, dues and all-of-the-above. It should be brought up so they and the worker can document the fail on the mark. Money is money, you should treat any threat upon it as a threat upon you and nothing more.

File, wait and file again if it doesnt suit you. This is wrong on many levels.

What section of the contract is he filing under he got paid right after he notified his SUP he didn't get his vacation check they don't owe him any money ? HE doesn't have a contractual leg to stand on.... A mistake was made they fixed it and paid him.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I asked before about it being a combo week rather than your scheduled vacation because they would then pay you based on remaining sick or personal/option days. How would they know 2 weeks in advance how many days you had left to be able to pay you appropriately. I would thin k you would need coded out appropriately when those came up that you were not working and then be paid out the following week based on those days. I've never taken one of these week but I would have assumed that's how it would work. I'm sure I'll be corrected though if I am wrong.

canam450

if you take your sick as a vacation week they're supposed to pay you five sick days and if you call of sick its just a lay off day so you wont get paid for it..UPSGUY72 UPS screwed up on two things thats clearly stated in the contract and no i didn't get paid right after i told my sup it was a week later..i looked back on some of my other checks that were close to what i wouldve been paid if they sent me two separate checks and it came out that they taxed me 140 extra dollars that shouldve been in my pocket

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you learn of a shortage. You need to tell your sup you want your green check next day air.

Green checks have a much higher tax withholding rate and should be requested only as a last resort.

On a side note, if they can EFT our regular checks why can't they EFT green checks?

Kae3106

Green checks have a much higher tax withholding rate and should be requested only as a last resort.

On a side note, if they can EFT our regular checks why can't they EFT green checks?

Green checks do not have a higher tax withholding rate. The only items that are taxed at the supplemental rate are supplemental earnings which are defined as vacation/sick/option payoffs in lieu of time off and certain types of bonuses.

Several years ago, green checks were issued using the UPS AP (accounts payable) system and then had to be manually entered into Payroll the following week. This did cause some tax issues as it would add the adjusted amount to the current earnings and taxes had to be manually controlled. It was a pain in the ass. A system enhancement was created a few years back that allows the daily green check requests to be run right through payroll on a separate daily schedule rather than the regular weekly schedule. This allows the system to tax the green check properly based on the employee's W-4 settings. Actually, since green checks tend to be smaller than normal earnings because they are correcting mistakes, the taxes calculate a bit lower based on the gross earnings of the green check.

The reason they can't be EFT is because it would be slower. We can print a check and NDA it faster. Direct deposit to every single bank in the country can't happen over night. On the weekly cycle, we push all of the funds to one central bank and they push it to all of the various banks and credit unions utilized by the employees. From what I've been told, it takes a day or two for some of the smaller banks to process these transfers and make them available to their customers.