Type 2 diabetic driver on insulin not allowed to drive or work inside.

Discussion in 'Health and Medical Topics' started by motonut, Aug 26, 2013.

1. motonut

motonut New Member

I have been with UPS for 21 years (8 part-time & 13 as a full time driver) I was scheduled to come back to work 3 weeks ago from a nine month stress leave. I went to take my DOT Physical (my DOT card expired while I was off) and I was denied du to the fact that I started taking a once-a-day insulin shot to help control my diabetes. I was told by my center manager that I am a driver and if I can't drive I can't work (alluding to no work inside either) I have been trying to get back to work inside so I can get my Benefits reinstated (my benefits were denied 6 months into my 9 month leave). Neither my center manager or my Teamster rep know what to do. I know there have been other cases but from what I have read most of those drivers were offered inside work while their cases were being worked out. Does anyone know what the protocol is for a driver that can't drive but can work? I have been told to enroll in the UPS Diabetes Protocol waver but that will not help me since I have no way of driving a vehicle under 10,000lbs (not enough sonority because I transferred to a new center last year)

2. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

This is why you pay Union dues.
    Get the BA involved and if he/she "don't know", get the local president involved.

​Good luck.

3. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Or a lawyer.

4. motonut

motonut New Member

I am working with a law firm now. Regardless of how soon I get back to work, I will not stop till this overbearing blanket law (UPS Diabetes Protocol Waver) is changed to differentiate Type 1 from type 2 diabetics. I also think there needs to be some type of precedent set to allow a UPS driver who can not drive because of insulin to get inside work immediately and without question.

5. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

They let our guys drive here, or at least in the feeder dept, as long as they take a pill and not an injection.

6. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Here you could do shifting work in the yard. As long as you never leave property you're good.

7. happybob

happybob Feeders

A law firm that specializes in the ADA(Americans with Disabilities Act). Also talk with the EEOC, since they are charged with implementing and enforcing the law.