United Way Harassment

GameCockFan

Charity starts at home. UPS used to have a gift matching program. They would match employees contributions up to $3,000 per year to almost any non-profit charity. However, just like everything else they decided to cut it out. On February 20, 2009, UPS’s Board of Trustees approved the action to suspend the Gift Matching Program due to the economic climate. At this time, there are no current plans to restart the program.

GameCockFan

This one may still be active. It also matches 2:1. So, effectively triples your donation.

The Annie E. Casey Foundation

Contact Info
Forms:

https://easymatch.com/aec/
Guidelines:
https://secure7.easymatch.com/AEC/CustomerContent/common/Guidelinesmg.asp
Corporate Contact: Casey Matching Gifts Program
(866) 788-1247
[email protected]
Matching Gift Programs
Offered:
Yes
Minimum Matched: $25
Maximum Matched: $6,000
Match Ratio: 2:1
Full-time employees, spouses, and board eligible? Yes
Part-time employees eligible? Yes
Retirees eligible? No
The Annie E. Casey Foundation matches employee donations to most nonprofits including:

• Educational institutions (K-12 included)
  • Health and human services
  • Arts and cultural organizations
  • Civic and community organizations
  • Environmental organizations
  • And many other organizations
The foundation provides a 2:1 match so donations made by employees are tripled (max $6,000 contribution from the foundation).

Additional details can be found at https://secure7.easymatch.com/AEC/CustomerContent/common/Guidelinesmg.asp.

Annie Casey Foundation's Matching Gift Submission Process:
Employees / donors should register their matching gift requests electronically at https://easymatch.com/aec/.

Nike

I wouldnt its a crooked organization. If you want to help volunteer your time as that can go a long way to doing some good. Most part timers barely make 140$ a week and they want you to donate ha!

Sent using BrownCafe App

anHOURover

Let me educate you brothers!!
This story is very common with the United way!! This is not the only example.
William Aramony

William Aramony served for 22 years as president and CEO of United Way of America (UWA), the umbrella group for thousands of local United Way organizations that fund social and human service projects nationwide. In 1992, Aramony resigned amidst allegations that he siphoned money from UWA through spin-off companies he helped to create. Before the scandal broke, Aramony was widely respected as one of the most influential nonprofit leaders of his time. He even had a hand in creating many of the rules under which charities operate today. In 1995, Aramony and two conspirators, Thomas Merlo and Stephen Paulachak, were convicted of defrauding UWA. Aramony was convicted on 25 felony counts and sentenced to seven years in prison for fraudulently diverting $1.2 million of the charity's money to benefit himself and his friends.

This scandal is especially memorable given how Aramony chose to use some of the charity's funds. For instance, he used UWA cash to woo a girl, Lori Villasor, who was only 17 years old when they began dating; Aramony was 59. He met Villasor while dating her slightly older sister. Both young women were added to UWA's payroll. For his notoriously young girlfriend, Aramony spent $450,000 of the charity's money to purchase and lavishly furnish a New York condo; $78,000 to chauffeur her around New York City; and $4,800 to renovate her home in Florida. The couple vacationed in Egypt, London, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City. The New York Times reported on the testimony of Aramony's former aide, Rina Duncan, with whom he also had an affair. Duncan testified to falsifying Aramony's expense records for seven years so that he could charge the charity for things like champagne, flowers and plane tickets for Villasor.

Aramony was also known for treating female employees inappropriately. He offered some women financial benefits if they had sex with him and would transfer those who declined, according to the indictment. Aramony's lawyer claimed there were medical reasons for his client's behavior, arguing Aramony's ability to control impulses was impaired by brain atrophy.

When Aramony resigned amidst scandal in 1992, the organization's growth in contributions stalled for a few years. CharityWatch president, Daniel Borochoff, remarked in USA Today in 1995 as to how the scandal influenced public perception of charities, saying, "It created a climate where donors are more questioning. They want to know more about how an organization is governed and the ethics of its leaders."

Overpaid Union Thug

There's always people that have reasons why they will participate (or not) in the push to give to Untied Way. Tax write offs, because they feel good about it, because they are pressured to, Untied Way is corrupt, they already give elsewhere, whatever. Mine is simply because UPS has made a metric out of it and are too pushy about it. But......won't even put half of that kind of effort into fixing any of the rather long list of problems we have as drivers.

So, they can take their sign up forms and shove them into the same holes they get verbally raped in by their coward district and region level superiors via conference call. Their problem. Not mine.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My center is having their United Way drive this month and I chose to donate nothing, for a number of reasons. Well, the supervisors didn't have the testicular fortitude to ask me to reconsider to my face, so they recruited the shop steward. Not only did the shop steward hound me about it, but in his United Way pitch there was a veiled threat. I was told a donation could "alleviate some pressure in other places." Do I have any recourse from here or basically just watch my butt?

Some steward. Did management elect this person?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Go down to a local charity in your area for a cause you believe in. Write them a check for a donation or volunteer. That's way more effective and has direct impact on your community then going through UW.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go down to a local charity in your area for a cause you believe in. Write them a check for a donation or volunteer. That's way more effective and has direct impact on your community then going through UW.

You are right, to a point. I am able to donate more through payroll deduction than if I were to write a single check. Yes, I could write 52 checks per year to that same charity, but......

The 15% match covers the administrative costs.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You are right, to a point. I am able to donate more through payroll deduction than if I were to write a single check. Yes, I could write 52 checks per year to that same charity, but......

Or save that money and write them 1 check a year. That money will go way farther regardless of the 15%.

speedbug577

My dad is on the board of directors of the charity I donate to. But I'll be sure to tell him "speedbug577" says I don't have the facts right.

We like to stuff the ballot box on occasion.
Since you claim your "daddy" told you I guess I have to believe you. Well I guess they must not handle it same way everywhere.

speedbug577

15% match = 17% administrative costs. So let's make this simple.
$1000 direct to charity donation = $1000
$1000 + 15% UPS match = $1150 less 17% admin fee = $954.50

speedbug577

My dad is on the board of directors of the charity I donate to. But I'll be sure to tell him "speedbug577" says I don't have the facts right.

We like to stuff the ballot box on occasion.
http://charity.lovetoknow.com/Where_Does_My_United_Way_Money_Go
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1438284370.640036.jpg

You are designating where you want your money to go. You are not directly giving to that charity. Daddy lied.