United Way Intimidation

tieguy

Banned
Overhead means expenses. How can they have no overhead? No telephone, no stamps, no office, no po box, no office supplies, no computers, no electricity, no property, no legal expense, no tax prep??? There has to be some overhead. Some organizations may have very little, but it's virtually impossible for any organization to have ZERO expenses.

Klein is interested in being critical not accurate.

I learned in 1990 how the shakedown was for the United Way. I had previously donated to the UW the year before. The following year I was informed that my donation(same as the previous year), by the manager standing outside the pcm door in front of everybody, was unacceptable. In conclusion, I have not given to UW since. However, I do donated to another cause.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... from the book of John (Lennon) I bet he would give to the United Way !!

P

pickup

The Catholic Church is the only way to salvation. I believe in it with all my heart and anyone that gives any money to any other organization other than those of Catholic Chuch is wasting his money and possibly his salvation as well. There was a time that the Catholic Church used to be able to force people to join and donate and those were the good old days. Hopefully the good old days will come back again.

I don't want to hear any debate about it.

Well, covemaster , I unfortunately started this tangent with my above post, but my point was to show that some people's version of the united way (with the belief that this is the best way to donate and therefore the element of some coercion is okay) is very similar to the way the Catholic Church used to operate.

And for some people who argue that the United way has fed starving children(and I am not saying the organization hasn't). It can be presumed that some of those kids have grown up and might be working in some ups hubs right now. Where is the charitable approach in the hubs? Why feed them so they can grow up and then unfairly treat some of them like garbage once they work in the hub ? Anyone reading this post knows what I am talking about.

Why does ups seemingly care so much about charity (read their press releases ) but there seems to be a lack of charitable feelings within the organization?

tieguy

Banned
Well, covemaster , I unfortunately started this tangent with my above post, but my point was to show that some people's version of the united way (with the belief that this is the best way to donate and therefore the element of some coercion is okay) is very similar to the way the Catholic Church used to operate.

And for some people who argue that the United way has fed starving children(and I am not saying the organization hasn't). It can be presumed that some of those kids have grown up and might be working in some ups hubs right now. Where is the charitable approach in the hubs? Why feed them so they can grow up and then unfairly treat some of them like garbage once they work in the hub ? Anyone reading this post knows what I am talking about.

Why does ups seemingly care so much about charity (read their press releases ) but there seems to be a lack of charitable feelings within the organization?

you're a feeder driver at ups how much more charity did you need?:happy2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The hijack topic of God, religion and other unknowables has been moved to Current Events under a new Thread:

God, Religion, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons

Perhaps this thread can resume on it's original topic.

gonzobean56

Wow...I have been with ups a long time, now even the donations to United Way have become a source of intimidation for managers and supervisors. I overheard a manager tell a driver his donation was lacking compared to the previous year. The manager belittled him in front of others. Part timers are complaining also. This year is my last to give through UPS. They are tyrants in every aspect. Give and keep giving brothers and sisters...but please dont let UPS harass you or make you feel guilty in your choice. Is United Way goals on the balance scorecard?

When I was there as a driver,I quit giving when that United Way official allegedly embezzled funds & my stop counts went up dramatically!

tieguy

Banned
When I was there as a driver,I quit giving when that United Way official allegedly embezzled funds & my stop counts went up dramatically!

people tend to dodge this question. Perhaps you have the courage to take it on.

did you quit the teamsters union when they were rife with mobster corruption?

jimstud

Banned

you still haven't answered my question about molester priests and upper management covering it up. ups is also rife with corruption did they not get caught hiding money in the caymen islands so i guess you should quit the catholic church and ups.

tieguy

Banned
The hijack topic of God, religion and other unknowables has been moved to Current Events under a new Thread:

God, Religion, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons

Perhaps this thread can resume on it's original topic.

hurumpf . getting to the point where we cant have a good runaway thread anymore.:happy2:

BCFan

What corruption are you referring to? Is it like the pay-off UPS make to certain elected officals in states that are heavily dependent on UPS for jobs that fuel their economy(i.e. Kentucky) This thread is about UPSers that are tired of being strongarmed and pressured to make " voluntary contributions" to a charity that is rife with overpaid staff and a real (not perceived) history of corruption. Maybe UPS could let charity begin at home by helping out their people. There are employees who are out of work with debilitating injuries in the service of UPS, instead of fighting tooth and nail to try and prove that the injuries are imagined or falseified.....Just saying..... BC (not Brown Cafe)

tieguy

Banned
What corruption are you referring to? Is it like the pay-off UPS make to certain elected officals in states that are heavily dependent on UPS for jobs that fuel their economy(i.e. Kentucky) This thread is about UPSers that are tired of being strongarmed and pressured to make " voluntary contributions" to a charity that is rife with overpaid staff and a real (not perceived) history of corruption. Maybe UPS could let charity begin at home by helping out their people. There are employees who are out of work with debilitating injuries in the service of UPS, instead of fighting tooth and nail to try and prove that the injuries are imagined or falseified.....Just saying..... BC (not Brown Cafe)

its real simple. If you're going to stop giving to your communty for something that happened at united way why don't you also use the same critical eye to quit the teamsters. After all the teamsters have had every president but one indicted for something?

When you compare united way to the teamsters united way is squeaky clean.

BCFan

Hmmmm I asked for specifics and you give your general opinion which is not very good..... United Way is so much a BS operation it really hurts me to think about it. The great Teamsters protect us from ignorant managers. What is wrong with us UPSers supporting our own instead of people that make a lifetime decision to drain money from the producers in our society? Again Tie I want to count on your weekly help to support UPS hourlies and even Management people that have fallen on hard times. What can YOU pledge every pay period toward this goal? I am quite confident you will be willing to help being the kind and benovolent person that you are! FYI this fund has no overhead and every penny will go to help OUR brothers and sisters that are TRULY deserving. Please make this amount known publicly so all the Brown Cafe folks can see what a grat man you truly are. Thanking you in advance BC (not Beat Children)

Last edited by a moderator:

tieguy

Banned
Hmmmm I asked for specifics and you give your general opinion which is not very good..... United Way is so much a BS operation it really hurts me to think about it. The great Teamsters protect us from ignorant managers. What is wrong with us UPSers supporting our own instead of people that make a lifetime decision to drain money from the producers in our society? Again Tie I want to count on your weekly help to support UPS hourlies and even Management people that have fallen on hard times. What can YOU pledge every pay period toward this goal? I am quite confident you will be willing to help being the kind and benovolent person that you are! FYI this fund has no overhead and every penny will go to help OUR brothers and sisters that are TRULY deserving. Please make this amount known publicly so all the Brown Cafe folks can see what a grat man you truly are. Thanking you in advance BC (not Beat Children)

Looks like a nice tap dance BC.

I'll throw out there for you to dance around again.

Many posters say they stopped giving through united way because of scandels.

Yet the teamsters have a long illustrious career of corruption with every one but one teamster president indicted for something.

yet they are not quitting the more corrupt teamster organization?

av8torntn

Looks like a nice tap dance BC.

I'll throw out there for you to dance around again.

Many posters say they stopped giving through united way because of scandels.

Yet the teamsters have a long illustrious career of corruption with every one but one teamster president indicted for something.

yet they are not quitting the more corrupt teamster organization?

This fits me so I will give you my view. I stopped giving to United Way when I was part time and their president stole all that money. I am still in the union.

I view the union as corrupt but they will still represent me even if I am not a member so in my view my best course was to retain my membership to use my vote to try and vote corruption out.

If I donate to United Way I had no say in how they ran their organization. I also feel that I could do a better job my my time and money by picking charities myself to donate time and money to.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
This fits me so I will give you my view. I stopped giving to United Way when I was part time and their president stole all that money. I am still in the union.

I view the union as corrupt but they will still represent me even if I am not a member so in my view my best course was to retain my membership to use my vote to try and vote corruption out.

If I donate to United Way I had no say in how they ran their organization. I also feel that I could do a better job my my time and money by picking charities myself to donate time and money to.

The union fights real hard for employees that refuse to join and don't pay dues...that's a funny one. I hope you don't believe it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The union fights real hard for employees that refuse to join and don't pay dues...that's a funny one. I hope you don't believe it.
I'm a steward in a right to work state, and I can assure you that at least in my building everyone gets the same representation.

Last edited:

av8torntn

I do not believe they "fight real hard for many employees". There are some that seem to be "in the union loop" that have been terminated 20 plus times that the union seems to "fight real hard" for but the average employee I would say from my observation does not get the same vigor in their defense. I do not really care weather you believe they do, they do not, or weather or not it is funny. It is not relevant to my decision to not give money to United Way but to stay a member of the Union. The fact is weather I am in the union or not I work under the same rules, wages, etc. as the person next to me. If I do stay in the union however I get a vote on representatives, local work rules, and contracts. The only way I get to vote with United Way is to not give money. To be fair the union has extorted money from a coworker who had gotten out then was terminated. He was told directly if he paid back dues they would get him his job back. That is the type of corruption that should not be tolerated but is cheered on by the hard line union members. Just like with United Way the union should also be able to stand on their own merits without the use of coercion.

av8torntn

I'm a steward in a right to work state, and I can assure that at least in my building everyone gets the same representation.

I am also in a right to work state and from my observation at the steward level everyone gets the same representation just as with your experience.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I do not believe they "fight real hard for many employees". There are some that seem to be "in the union loop" that have been terminated 20 plus times that the union seems to "fight real hard" for but the average employee I would say from my observation does not get the same vigor in their defense. I do not really care weather you believe they do, they do not, or weather or not it is funny. It is not relevant to my decision to not give money to United Way but to stay a member of the Union. The fact is weather I am in the union or not I work under the same rules, wages, etc. as the person next to me. If I do stay in the union however I get a vote on representatives, local work rules, and contracts. The only way I get to vote with United Way is to not give money. To be fair the union has extorted money from a coworker who had gotten out then was terminated. He was told directly if he paid back dues they would get him his job back. That is the type of corruption that should not be tolerated but is cheered on by the hard line union members. Just like with United Way the union should also be able to stand on their own merits without the use of coercion.

Guess it depends on the "whether".