unloading too slow?

theoneone

i have a few questions and was wondering if any of you could help. im sure you have heard most of these.

i was wondering if there was a set time limit when it comes to unloading a trailer.

also, when the unload is done and they call break are the unloaders entitled to a break as well?

another one is during break can the sups call a PCM?

when a sup says seniority doesnt matter anymore is it true? does seniority only apply to certain things?

when an employee transfers to another building does he keep his seniority for vacations over those who have less years total but who have been working in the building longer?

when a sup shows favoritism with certain employees with low seniority over those who have more can something be done about it?

is telematics really that bad?

evilleace

i have a few questions and was wondering if any of you could help. im sure you have heard most of these.

i was wondering if there was a set time limit when it comes to unloading a trailer
No they will tell you a time in which they would like the trailer to be unloaded, but just work as quickly as you safely can.

also, when the unload is done and they call break are the unloaders entitled to a break as well?

You are contractually entitled to a break between the 1st and 3rd hours of work.

I suppose they could but I have never seen this done, and since pcms are done on the clock I wouldn't think that it would count as your break.

when a sup says seniority doesnt matter anymore is it true? does seniority only apply to certain things?

No seniority applies to just about everything at UPS.

when an employee transfers to another building does he keep his seniority for vacations over those who have less years total but who have been working in the building longer?

You only keep your seniority for the amount of weeks of vacation you get, you go to the bottom as far as vacation selection goes.

when a sup shows favoritism with certain employees with low seniority over those who have more can something be done about it?

Yes file a grieveance on it if the employee is getting more time, or is getting to work in a higher job a classification than you are. If you you are qualified to do the work and have not been offered a chance to do the work.

Not sure we don't have it yet.

UPSGUY72

i was wondering if there was a set time limit when it comes to unloading a trailer.

There is no time limit but a PUP is around 1 hr for 1 person and a 48 fter is about 2 hrs. That is with rollers and it all depends on the set up you have in your building and how good the sorter are at teh end of your trailer.

Everyone get a break if your are being told to work through your break then file a grievance.

If they did that it wouldn't be a break.

Depends on what they are talking about and what your local rider says.

Again it depends on what your local rider says. These rule vary all over the coutry. If it is in the same local and when a bid comes up a driver could bid into another building and keep all his senority. However it is understood that vacation senority is kept becasue it's based on the day your started at ups not the day you started your new classification.

Depends on what you mean by favoritism. If you have a question about something I would ask a steward in your building.

No if you do your job like your suppose to it's a none issue. However if your ride around like the FEDEX drivers then your going to have problems. In the building I'm in half of the 120 plus cars have something wrong with atleast one of there sensors. So it's kind of a joke and there is no big rush to have everything fixed.

rod

Retired 22 years
To answer your first question--- at some point in your career you will realize that you will never hear them say "you're doing your job fast enought" at UPS.

Toshiro Hitsugaya

There is no set time limit, but there is a flow rate UPS expects their Unloaders and Sorts to work at which is 1200pph. That is basically calculated by taking the number of packages the Unloader or Sorter moves within a certain time from and multiply that by 20. I have been off the floor for a while so I forget the exact time frame.

Well that really depends on how your hub works, I know sometimes if we are behind the 8-ball due to availability of trailers and did not turn the required amount to get all the bays we need we sometimes leave a couple of trailers that are close to getting finished (usually within 5-15mins) running. Once that team finishes the trailer they are in we send them to break. Sometimes we also do individual breaks if we got slammed with trailers.

Nope

It applies to various aspects of the job, there are a lot of gray areas, especially with the different riders. For instance in my hub we usually run 4 bulk guys, but if we need a 5th we will grab somebody who has been trained and certified to do bulk, from another area. But in doing so making sure to grab the person with the most seniority as they are entitled to have first go. Now if they choose no to do it we will go to the next senior person and so on.