Unused vacation upon retiring

Discussion in 'UPS Retirement Topics' started by Cardboard carrier, Feb 15, 2015.

1. What does UPS pay us for after we retire? Unused vacation, sick, optional days in the year we leave. It would be nice to get the extra pay but I don't want to leave money on the table.

2. edd_tv

edd_tv Cardboard picker upper

Everyone I know has scheduled it all right before the date they retire. The last guy I knew stopped working in mid October and actually "retired" November 27

3. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Depend on your supplement .

I plan to use up all my days prior to retiring .

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. You will still get paid for next years earned vacation time.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

My original plan was to work up until my 30 year mark and then take all of my sick, personal and vacation time but I think now I will do what everyone else does and work backwards from my retirement date.

6. retired2000

retired2000 Active Member

Yes work backwards. I left in July but retirement date was sept 1

7. I guess most are ready to go asap. I was wondering what weeks they will pay us for and what are considered use or lose.

8. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

You shouldn't lose any earned day or weeks. It's all about planning ahead.

9. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Backwards? How do you mean. I will just get my 5th week vacation on my 30th yr.in November. Which means I probably will leave after the last x Mas. On January 1st. /19

10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

"Backwards" means you determine your retirement date and then schedule all of your personal, sick and vacation time working backward from the date. For example, if your retirement date is June 1 and you have 8 weeks of personal time you would schedule that time during April and May.

11. 3 done 3 to go

Ok got you. That was my thinking anyways. Never thought of it as "backwards ". That is how all of the retirees out of our center have always done it.

12. Xexys

Xexys Retired and Happy

Wow, how the locals DO differ. My old local gave us our fifth week of vacation at 15 years of employment. 20 years yielded you 6 weeks and 25 years gave you 7 weeks of vacation, all of these include the option week. After 25 years, you gained no more weeks.

13. 3 done 3 to go

No I was a casual driver (cover driver now) . For my 1st 10 yrs. No vacation,sick or rovers. The only good thing is all my first yrs, Counted as full time credits for the pension. Just means the union will be sending my first pension ck earlier then you.

14. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Are we all in agreement that we are currently earning vacation time for next year. I guess working backwards we are selecting this years vacation based on last years work. If you pick the end of the month as your retirement date you could double dip for a while I guess.

15. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

I didn't have the luxury of planning ahead to schedule everything in order. I came off an injury and realized I could no longer do the job. I had 156 punches in 2013 before I went out, earning my 2014 vacations. I retired in March 2014. I asked for my 6 weeks vacation and my option week pay. The only drawback was they lump it all together in 1 check and taxes bite you. Since it took 2 months to get my first retirement check, it was pretty seamless. Your results my vary.

16. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

id like to use some vacas and sick days before I retire even though I know the reason for working backwards. it takes about 3 months to get 1st pension check but i'll save some money up for bills.

17. We can't request a payout for our sick days at anytime we want.

18. By The Book

I think he's saying he is going to use some sick days as time off.

19. I was a little confused by her post. Wasn't sure if she wanted to burn off sick time or take the money.

20. By The Book

I may have posted incorrectly of your gender, my apologies. I think if you retire on the last day of the month you should get your first pension check the next day. Can this not happen in your situation?