Upcoming 401(k) Changes

MassWineGuy

I’ve read about changes coming to the 401(k) plan next year. I think we’ll be able to choose between keeping our pensions along with no change to the level FedEx matches our 401(k) contributions OR getting an eight percent match and ending future pension contributions.

Does anyone know anything more?

falcon back

I’ve read about changes coming to the 401(k) plan next year. I think we’ll be able to choose between keeping our pensions along with no change to the level FedEx matches our 401(k) contributions OR getting an eight percent match and ending future pension contributions.

Does anyone know anything more?
Was supposed to happen in 2020 but was delayed. It was announced and all the details were explained over a year ago. The decision as to which way to go is something every employee will have to make based on their needs. There is no "one size fits all" answer.

MassWineGuy

In my 6 1/2 years at the company, I think my pension is about $10k. Even if I worked another five years, it wouldn’t increase dramatically.

On the other hand, my 401(k) has done very well. An eight percent company match would brush good thing.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
No matter what you choose, it may not last as long as you like. Fred can and will change things to his benefit with a blink of an eye and the stroke of a pen. People had their "choice" in 2003 with the portable pension vs. traditional. That lasted not even quite 5 years when it was changed to all portable in 2008 with zero input from the workforce.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Cactus is right. FedEx could try to get everyone to get out of the pension plan by offering an 8% match on their 401K. Then, down the road, the company could drop the match down to 6% due to "business needs." There is no guarantee it will stay at 8% indefinitely. Just remember, if the company is encouraging everyone to switch to the 8% 401K plan, they aren't doing it for your benefit. They are doing it for their own benefit. They have some ulterior motive. Your financial well being isn't their motive, but the company's own well being is. I thought FedEx was bragging just a couple of years ago about how they put a billion dollars into the pension plan so it would be well funded-during that tax beak deal when we got a raise 6 months early. Now they have closed out the pension to new hires. I would say do just the opposite of what FedEx encourages. If they encourage people to do the 8% deal, then I'd stay in the pension plan. I know I am.

vantexan

Was supposed to happen in 2020 but was delayed. It was announced and all the details were explained over a year ago. The decision as to which way to go is something every employee will have to make based on their needs. There is no "one size fits all" answer.
So one chooses based on his needs and you rip him for doing so. The best solution on this forum is to not disclose what one is doing if one wants to avoid ridicule from know-it-alls who's only expertise is they got in early when the company was a lot more generous.

falcon back

So one chooses based on his needs and you rip him for doing so. The best solution on this forum is to not disclose what one is doing if one wants to avoid ridicule from know-it-alls who's only expertise is they got in early when the company was a lot more generous.
Where did you read that I ripped anyone? You should refrain from drinking before you post. Is there even a hint of suggestion on what a person should do in my post?

falcon back

Cactus is right. FedEx could try to get everyone to get out of the pension plan by offering an 8% match on their 401K. Then, down the road, the company could drop the match down to 6% due to "business needs." There is no guarantee it will stay at 8% indefinitely. Just remember, if the company is encouraging everyone to switch to the 8% 401K plan, they aren't doing it for your benefit. They are doing it for their own benefit. They have some ulterior motive. Your financial well being isn't their motive, but the company's own well being is. I thought FedEx was bragging just a couple of years ago about how they put a billion dollars into the pension plan so it would be well funded-during that tax beak deal when we got a raise 6 months early. Now they have closed out the pension to new hires. I would say do just the opposite of what FedEx encourages. If they encourage people to do the 8% deal, then I'd stay in the pension plan. I know I am.
I don't recall reading anywhere the company "encouraging " people do decide either way. If you have something to prove otherwise, please share. As much as people like to complain, less than 10% of Fortune 500 companies have BOTH a pension AND a 401k. Even though the Portable isn't as good of plan, it beats not have any pension at all.

!Retired!

I don't recall reading anywhere the company "encouraging " people do decide either way. If you have something to prove otherwise, please share. As much as people like to complain, less than 10% of Fortune 500 companies have BOTH a pension AND a 401k. Even though the Portable isn't as good of plan, it beats not have any pension at all.
Correct. Companies have been doing away with pensions for a while now.

I wouldn't believe the match will remain at 8%. New hires don't have a choice though. 20+ years with the company, hopefully maybe only 7-8 more, I wouldn't change. But, if I was a new hire, what to do is a no-brainer decision.

bacha29

No matter what you choose, it may not last as long as you like. Fred can and will change things to his benefit with a blink of an eye and the stroke of a pen. People had their "choice" in 2003 with the portable pension vs. traditional. That lasted not even quite 5 years when it was changed to all portable in 2008 with zero input from the workforce.
Just take a look at Ground. The peanuts contractor employed drivers earn in terms of wages/salaries and the nothing in the way of a benefit plan that goes with it.... You'll see where Express will be by the end of the decade if not sooner.

vantexan

Where did you read that I ripped anyone? You should refrain from drinking before you post. Is there even a hint of suggestion on what a person should do in my post?
Dude you've ripped into me for taking my pension not only early but taking the Social Security Leveling Option which gives a lot more for the first 12 years then drops way down. One of the most astute statements you've ever made on this forum was above where you said employees need to choose based on their needs. My needs are that I can no longer feel sensation when a doctor pokes my feet with a pen. That my eyesight is going. I may be dead before I'm 70. So I took as much upfront as possible but that didn't stop your ridicule. I'll be taking Social Security at 62 also and live where I can get by on $500 a month ok so that I can put the rest into savings. $30k+ for 5 years then $10k or so from them on. I will pay our house off and save for my wife's later years or die trying. There comes a point when having stuff or living the life means very little. Taking care of family before we go for some of us is the only legacy we can leave.

bacha29

Dude you've ripped into me for taking my pension not only early but taking the Social Security Leveling Option which gives a lot more for the first 12 years then drops way down. One of the most astute statements you've ever made on this forum was above where you said employees need to choose based on their needs. My needs are that I can no longer feel sensation when a doctor pokes my feet with a pen. That my eyesight is going. I may be dead before I'm 70. So I took as much upfront as possible but that didn't stop your ridicule. I'll be taking Social Security at 62 also and live where I can get by on $500 a month ok so that I can put the rest into savings. $30k+ for 5 years then $10k or so from them on. I will pay our house off and save for my wife's later years or die trying. There comes a point when having stuff or living the life means very little. Taking care of family before we go for some of us is the only legacy we can leave.
Not telling you what to do but why not take a shot at your disability first rather than take the permanent 25% reduction?
Mine was a case of dumb luck. One day while waiting for the second hip joint replacement on sheer curiosity I went wondering into the OVR office just to see what they had to offer. As in most cases the only jobs the program created were their own .

Anyway, a representative took me out into the hallway and said, "Look, I'm telling you this off the record and I'll deny having ever said it. Why, don't you just go for your disability and be done with it? You've done enough".

And so that's what I did. Three months after I made my first and only application , it was approved and back dated a year and a half.

And given that your monthly disability benefit will be based on what it would otherwise be at full retirement, it's difficult to find a reason not to take at least one shot at it. Moreover the "Social Security Blue Book" which contains the qualifying criteria is available on line.

Spam

Take your meds!!!!

vantexan

Not telling you what to do but why not take a shot at your disability first rather than take the permanent 25% reduction?
Mine was a case of dumb luck. One day while waiting for the second hip joint replacement on sheer curiosity I went wondering into the OVR office just to see what they had to offer. As in most cases the only jobs the program created were their own .

Anyway, a representative took me out into the hallway and said, "Look, I'm telling you this off the record and I'll deny having ever said it. Why, don't you just go for your disability and be done with it? You've done enough".

And so that's what I did. Three months after I made my first and only application , it was approved and back dated a year and a half.

And given that your monthly disability benefit will be based on what it would otherwise be at full retirement, it's difficult to find a reason not to take at least one shot at it. Moreover the "Social Security Blue Book" which contains the qualifying criteria is available on line.
I've looked at it, talked to attorneys who specialize. I haven't been seeing a doctor regular and will have to get together some serious documentation with treatment. Can't afford insurance. And it could take a year or more with no guarantee. As soon as the virus is over can go overseas and live decently on little.

AB831

That seems to be FredEx's strategy for delivering bad news: deliver it in a disingenuous manner and throw you a bone like "you can choose what works best for you" just so they have something to use against you for sake of argument. Kind of like how you can't say the company didn't give you a raise for three years when they're giving you a generous 2% raise while the company is "struggling." It's always smoke and mirrors with Fat Freddy.

bacha29

That seems to be FredEx's strategy for delivering bad news: deliver it in a disingenuous manner and throw you a bone like "you can choose what works best for you" just so they have something to use against you for sake of argument. Kind of like how you can't say the company didn't give you a raise for three years when they're giving you a generous 2% raise while the company is "struggling." It's always smoke and mirrors with Fat Freddy.
Typical Fat Freddy. Throwing a 25 ft. rope to a guy drowning 50 feet offshore then try to make it look like he did something.
And while he can't legally turn Express in it's entirety over to contractors he'll keep trying to skirt the law by sliding as much Express volume over to it and use a slick term to make it look all good.

And now he's doing it with the Express benefit plan which will be whittled down to nothing over the next few years until it quietly disappears altogether.

I'm happy that you got out because there's still plenty of productive contribution left in you and it needs to be used for better purposes.

And feel sorry for those still there who like Old Falcon Fart wrongly believe that the Fedex of old still remains and will support them when they can no longer serve it.

bacha29

I've looked at it, talked to attorneys who specialize. I haven't been seeing a doctor regular and will have to get together some serious documentation with treatment. Can't afford insurance. And it could take a year or more with no guarantee. As soon as the virus is over can go overseas and live decently on little.
The Social Security "Blue Book" is public information. A person's qualification for benefits is not based on their disability per say but rather it is based on "work suitability " meaning are they suitable for work as a whole? Given that your symptoms a getting much worse I don't think that you would have much trouble proving that you're no longer suitable for work in any capacity. And after 2 years on disability you would automatically go on Medicare.

Look man, you've too have done enough. And with the shrinking number of traditional blue collar jobs and many that remain are at slave wages there appears at least looking at it from my vantage point there looks to be a quiet effort underway to get the old guys out of the work force . So if they'll make it worth your while to get out and it's under the best possible terms you're doing yourself and the nation as a whole a real favor. And given the many very generous programs available to people who can collect benefits and still work a little bit, if somebody needs you they'll know where they can find you.

AB831

And feel sorry for those still there who like Old Falcon Fart wrongly believe that the Fedex of old still remains and will support them when they can no longer serve it.
FredEx won’t support those who currently serve it. Fat Freddy looks at his employees the same way he views his Sprinter vans: just a necessary business expenditure that will inevitably be worn down, thrown away, and replaced by something cheaper.

bacha29

So true! They want employees off their books for good, year or so portable will be gone we will have to be on our own 401k.
And employer contributions will be slowly decreased year over year until the only thing going in them is what the employee alone can contribute .Knowing this there is some not a lot but some momentum growing in Congress for a shoring up of Social Security ahead of the eventual disappearance altogether of private pension plans leaving only public sector pension plans remaining.