UPS appearance standards?

danny_379

It's gonna be hard for me to comply with the UPS appearance standards. I'm that type of guy who has facial hair that grows very fast and hates shaving frequently. I break out easily too while doing it. :knockedout: Will UPS get on my butt if my facial hair is like sandpaper? You know like 3 days after shaving? Is this policy strictly enforced?

tourists24

Yep.... pretty strict.... the only chance is to get a doctor's note saying you can only shave so often; and even then you are going to be in for a fight. Or convert to a religion that requires a beard

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
As long as you work an inside job, you will have no problem. If you want to work as a driver dealing with the public, you have to decide if you want the paycheck or like your whiskers better........

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It doesn't matter if you hate shaving frequently, UPS don't a care. Your best bet is to go to a dermatologist and have them note that you havepsuedofolliculitis barbae (showing that you break out in a rash after you shave). They will still send you to their doctor and try to have them give you medicine to reduce the rash, and if THAT doesn't work then they'll allow you to have a beard. However, there are only two drivers in our whole hub (both of whom are in my center) who have them. It is difficult to be allowed to have one

danny_379

It doesn't matter if you hate shaving frequently, UPS don't a care. Your best bet is to go to a dermatologist and have them note that you havepsuedofolliculitis barbae (showing that you break out in a rash after you shave). They will still send you to their doctor and try to have them give you medicine to reduce the rash, and if THAT doesn't work then they'll allow you to have a beard. However, there are only two drivers in our whole hub (both of whom are in my center) who have them. It is difficult to be allowed to have one

I don't really get rashes, but I do get cuts easily.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't shave on the dadily mainly because i breakout easily from it which in turn causes me to cut myself in turn making it look worse. I shave Monday, Wednesday and Friday and no more. Nothing is said. But I'm also of Irish descent and we're not exactly known for our flourishing facial hair. No one has ever said a word to me about having a day or two worth of growth.

satellitedriver

It's gonna be hard for me to comply . :knockedout: Will UPS get on my butt if my facial hair is like sandpaper?

:happy-very: Yes they will, and should.
I remember so well back in the 70's, in a redneck bar on Telephone Road in Houston, Tx., a 6'3'', 220lb man asked me why I cultivated on my face that which grew wild on his butt,
that is when the fight started.
UPS pays me over $80,000.00 a year to be clean shaven and I gladly shave everyday.

satellitedriver

But I'm also of Irish descent and we're not exactly known for our flourishing facial hair.
Really?
Never heard that before.
My Grandmother, on my mothers side, was born in Waterville, in county Kerry.
My great, great Grand Father, on my fathers side, was born in the Antrim Region of northern Ireland.
My facial hair grows at least a 16th a day.
Ergo, I shave daily.

Indecisi0n

I feel your pain. I shave the night before then again before i go into work in the morning. Its not as bad the second time (before work) because the hair isn't as long.

If I end up having 5 o-clock shadow (at 5am) and it`s noticed I just tell them I was clean shaven when I started work, maybe you shouldn`t work me so many hours.

cino321

Invest in a electric razor. They do not cut as close. I also have sensitive skin and since using a electric razor I don't have any issues. It's also faster and easier.

Make sure you maintain the foil and clean the razor after each use.

over9five

Staff member
I am a big believer in appearance standards. Right now, every day in CHEMA, you will see Feeder drivers wearing t-shirts. I hate this, and I don't understand why management allows this. Some CHEMA Feeder drivers should not be allowed on the road based solely on the image they are projecting to the public.

I may mention this again. I am Over9five. People know me. I have power.

danny_379

I'm gonna have to get a doctor's note. Their policy is ridiculous! I just shaved last Sunday and some guy from the HR department said my stubble today is not acceptable! The thing is, I have razor bumps on my chin and and some redness on my neck so I really don't wanna shave today because it will make it worse!

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

Men or women?