UPS Feeder accident in Orlando 8/27

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I'm amazed that we can already place the blame when we don't even know what the supposed mechanical problem was.

I seriously doubt a broken axle shaft caused the accident. A broken axle won't cause loss of control, it would just coast to a stop. Unless you have xray vision, you can't tell if an axle is broken unless you disassemble it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilli, what does crow taste like? Does it taste like chicken?

ALOT.:wink2: Why wait til now to ask? I have eaten crow for you to. I have no problem admitting if I am wrong as long as you can prove to me I was wrong. If one is going to accuse just for the sake of it then I won't apologize for it.

Tie, I have said very little about Socks. I don't agree with his attitude and his posts but I have said very little about him.

I'm amazed that we can already place the blame when we don't even know what the supposed mechanical problem was.

I seriously doubt a broken axle shaft caused the accident. A broken axle won't cause loss of control, it would just coast to a stop. Unless you have xray vision, you can't tell if an axle is broken unless you disassemble it.

I believe it was the front axle in question.

rushfan

Bad call on taking the "yard shifting tractor". Around here in one center, the out of commission tractor is driven by part-timers who don't give a damn about yard speed, and they consistently grind/jam the gears. Most yard shifting tractors do not get a PMI.

Maybe both of them fell asleep after eating biscuits and gravy (a lethal combination-causes heart disease, and sleepiness). At least, an accomplice was along for the ride.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You guys make assumptions that the sup rushed the driver when my experience is that very few drivers can do a complete and thorough pretrip and our audits show drivers routinely miss DOT required items.Even with a sup riding with the driver the sup generally does not have the driver call out everything he is pre-trippiing. So a look in the general direction of the equipment is probably determined to be his checking the steering components. Axles and U joints are not always easy to catch on a pre-trip due to the reasons you list. My question would be what indication did they have while driving. If its an axle then you would think it gave off some vibration before it broke. Are we sure it was an axle? They usually do not break. If he had steering issues then it sounds more like he blew a steering tire. The other question is why the fire? I've seen some accidents where drivers flipped and rolled equipment and had no fire.
Could the dolly have locked up or the kite tires have blown ? Both would have jacked the kite so quick that you would still have air pressure on the dash. Happened to me one time,felt kite lugging going down a hill got over fast as I could,then lost all pressure. I blew two tires on kite but got out of jack knife. Tires could of caught fire and taken out kite !!

over9five

Staff member
Man, I'd hate to be that mechanic. Anyways, there was no further gossip about it around the Orlando hub that I heard.

I thought that too, but can a mechanic even tell when an axle is about to break? Would this have been caught in a PMI?

Nimnim

The Nim
Well we still don't know how the axle actually broke, did it snap, or break loose from a mounting? If it broke from a mounting I'd think you'd be able to notice the issue before it became a complete hazard. Either way, and this is me, if I were that mechanic and I knew I ok'd something even if I couldn't tell there was an issue, it'd rattle me. Still lucky there were no really serious injuries.

amclain

Hope some has taken pictures of the tractor after the accident..because Mgment will attempt to coverup the mechanical cause of the accident..In the Georgia Feeder Mgment present a pic of posted speed 55 and stated the driver was speeding, but the truth is the accident of the Georgia Feeder driver happen on I-75 where the speed zone was 70 mph which a union steward took pic of the actually area, and not Mgment area of the accident. REMEMBER MGMENT =ARE= TRAINED TO LIE IN ORDER TO DISCHARGE AN EMPLOYEE...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hope some has taken pictures of the tractor after the accident..because Mgment will attempt to coverup the mechanical cause of the accident..In the Georgia Feeder Mgment present a pic of posted speed 55 and stated the driver was speeding, but the truth is the accident of the Georgia Feeder driver happen on I-75 where the speed zone was 70 mph which a union steward took pic of the actually area, and not Mgment area of the accident. REMEMBER MGMENT =ARE= TRAINED TO LIE IN ORDER TO DISCHARGE AN EMPLOYEE...

Anti-SOCKS

This is an absurd post ... don't lower yourself to this level of posting by responding to it. That is the best way to deal with these type of flamers.

Last edited:

diesel96

I believe it was the front axle in question.

An axle separation could most definetly cause a violent reaction. Losing an entire tire/wheel/hub assembly at highs speeds is not a simple coast. And many axle hazards are spurred on by bad bearings creating tremendous heat... You can usually hear a bad bearing though.....

Got a little more info from the feeders news network. Mechanic in Daytona told them tha yard tractor would be ok and that they should take it.

Daytona is a small center, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are Feeder qualified mechanics in Daytona. My apologies if there are.....come to think of it, I not even sure there are night-shift Feeder drivers there. I occasionally see jax drivers doing all the shifting at that bldg there.....

tieguy

Banned

anti socks