UPS Health Benefits Shock for Retired Union Employees

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Health Benefit Shock

When left to getting our own ins. since 2000
at the height before Medicare we were 850.00 each a month. (or about that)
so 12 x $1700 =
That's around $20,400 a year
sounds right to me

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I think you might be misinterpreting that bit about cost sharing, but I'm honestly not sure. If you are then the annual premium would be $15160.00, which is still pretty high but probably more in line price wise with the type of plan he has.

Could be but the language is "share equally in the cost above $6250" so I read that as UPS pays the first $6250 and then the retiree pays 1/2 the cost above $6250 with UPS paying the other half.
$742.50 per month is $8910 annually. $6250+$8910+$8910=$24,070.

With More's input, that seems pretty much in line with the total actual cost.
And her cost was for a married couple and not a family.

Makes one appreciate our healthcare benefits.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Could be but the language is "share equally in the cost above $6250 so I read that as UPS pays the first $6250 and then the retiree pays 1/2 the cost above $6250 with UPS paying the other half.
$742.50 per month is $8910 annually. $6250+$8910+$8910=$24,070.
I figured that's the way you were reading it.

upsrogue

A copy of the letter has been posted on this thread http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/health-benefit-shock-347951/ I am not even close to 65 so I am not as concerned about Medicare as the retirees I have coffee with, I am concerned about the increased cost of health insurance. This increase in cost is only for those currently covered by the UPS Health and Welfare Plan. UPS attempted to do the same thing at the end of 2007, but they backed down.

kumet

ups retirement plans are different all over the country. I had to leave ups in 07 at 55 ,30 years as a driver in So Cal. Back and shoulders are used up. I opted for 36K a year. that option will provide some income for my wife when i die. Our insurance was 50 a month. Dental optical and medical included. not as good as it was when i was employed.I had been researching retirement benefits and some how i never saw that my insurance cost might increase and definitely not go from 50 to 750 in one year. Big shock . thought cheap insurance was a negotiated benefit. three of us in the family .anyhow, I didnt have the choice to work longer.Hopefully it is just a contract negotiation ploy. Cant see employes who hope to retire from ups signing a contract with this .

The Milkman

ups retirement plans are different all over the country. I had to leave ups in 07 at 55 ,30 years as a driver in So Cal. Back and shoulders are used up. I opted for 36K a year. that option will provide some income for my wife when i die. Our insurance was 50 a month. Dental optical and medical included. not as good as it was when i was employed.I had been researching retirement benefits and some how i never saw that my insurance cost might increase and definitely not go from 50 to 750 in one year. Big shock . thought cheap insurance was a negotiated benefit. three of us in the family .anyhow, I didnt have the choice to work longer.Hopefully it is just a contract negotiation ploy. Cant see employes who hope to retire from ups signing a contract with this .

The big word you said was HOPE to retire...This move will more than likely cause many to stay longer, especially those with kids...Gee for a while you would of been thinking that UPS would like to get rid of the old timers but yet again UPS does what it does ........So now those who stay will just have to limp along and hopefully hold up untill they can't take it any longer......Merry Christmas from UPS your United Way supporter, Nascar supporter, Yeah I guess they can afford to do that instead of helping the workers who put them on the Map.... "What can Brown Do For You?' Raise your rates without conscience..That's what they can do...More to follow.:surprised:

DorkHead

In my area, once you retire, you go on UPS`s HW plan. Monthly payment is around 250.00/month for you and spouse. They tried to increase it a couple years ago and Teamsters local took them to court Courts sided with teamsters because of language in contract for retirees can`t be changed until contract expires on 7/31/13. Negotiations will determine new amounts next contract.

kumet

if you want to start a business , ask your parents for a loan, if you want to go to school, ask your parent for a loan, if you dont want to die ask your parents for a loan for health insurance. how do people survive?

The Milkman

if you want to start a business , ask your parents for a loan, if you want to go to school, ask your parent for a loan, if you dont want to die ask your parents for a loan for health insurance. how do people survive?

Good question..How do people survive? My question is..How did we survive in the 60's and 70's with healthcare back then.. You never heard a peep about medical costs back then...Now it is a national crisis..The cost goes up faster than gallon of gas with the threat of a hurricane hitting the gulf...Can it be that Corporate Greed has taken us down?? Where have all the MFG jobs that I saw listed in the help wanted ads many years ago go ?? I saw a once thriving GM and Ford plants working 3 shifts daily not far from me in Jersey...Now look...torn down and empty lots now with many broken people and dreams of a good retirement out the window..I worked at GM for a few months back in 71 ,if I would of stayed I would be in a lot worse shape than I am now as I would of gotten the Boot in my 50's....The Good Old Days.........Live long enough and you could remember them........

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thank YOU MILKMAN for posting this letter. It erases all doubt to see it in black and white.
Somewhere in that monstrosity, 2000 plus pgs bill I read subsidies to help people buy their insurance, people making up to 90k per year, were eligible. Since it was tossed in your lap, if you qualify take it. God Bless and all I can say is OMG.

beentheredonethat

It sounds like he has basically a similar medical insurance as mgmt (I have the higher cost insurance of two you can select) and my monthly cost for a family is 355 a month and it's gone up every year. I know for mgmt, that have capped the amount to go to retiree medical to a set dollars per year worked. (There is also a multiplier factor somewhere before 1991). As insurance costs go up, UPS will keep their cap and retirees pay the delta. Also, when we get to medicare age, the amount per year goes down substantially due to the lower cost of insurance supplement once medicare takes over. So unlike this plan where UPS pays the first 6200 and then splits the difference. For mgmt they have a straight cap.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When you get to Medicare age....the cost will depend on the plan you pick!!

I don't know why everyone talks like Medicare is a set amount for everybody. It's not!!

kumet

looking back i think i can see a plan present employees can use to keep their retirement med. cost charged to the insurance we are discussing here, down When you hurt your knees from stepping down that 2 foot step hundreds of times a week ,make sure you see company Dr. and have it charged to workman's comp ins and have a paper trail. Same when you hurt your shoulders lifting yourself up that 2 foot high step.When you hurt your shoulders wrestling that truck with no power steering or pulling those heavy packages off that top shelf see company Dr.. When you get plantar fasciiti because of that sudden weight gain ( carrying packages miles and miles everyday), see the company Dr. dont try to work through it. I asked for 30 years how to safely pull a handtruck up stairs, haven't heard back yet. There is no YOU in team ups. Nothing you do is appreciated . Cant negotiate for respect contract time..Get a lawyer and get future medical paid by their insurance. keep our insurance claims down will keep our premiums down .