UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm not trying to be a jerk but there is some serious overreacting to this going on.

Say you are a 10 year driver forced into a T-S schedule. My fuzzy math tells me you have 3 Saturdays off for vacation, ten possible for option and sick days plus at least 4 Saturday call ins to keep you off the radar. That's almost 1/3 of the year that you will have 3 day weekends not including other holidays that will extend your weekends.

I'm sure many of the guys threatening to quit have no clue what the job market is right now. I know tool and die makers being offered $22 an hour...that is a highly skilled job with years of training. What kind of job does busting your ass delivering packages prepare you for? You want M-friend delivering packages? Maybe FedEx Express will hire you. Of course you will take a $50k pay cut but at least you will have Saturdays off.

UPS has Saturday and Sunday, day air sorts right now. Pilots and Feeder drivers work every day of the week already and we are the highest paid UPS employees. Why do package drivers feel they are above working Saturdays? Ever see a Doctor, nurse or other professional person work on the weekend?

Step off the ledge...your kids will love to have you around Mondays during the summer and Monday afternoons during the school year. Bars and golf courses are open on Mondays too.

I'm not trying to make people mad with this, just tire of reading the whining and threats to quit. Corporate wide I doubt more than 50 people will quit when this rolls out and most of them will regret it in the near future. For the most part this job sucks but we are compensated at a level to make it worthwhile.

oldupsman

I have got an entirely different view on this. I'd bid a Tues.- Sat. run in a heartbeat. Saturday is going to be
mostly house stops and less business. Mon. is always fouled up anyway with the way they cut trips.
Plus you could get alot of personal things done on a Mon. Now I understand it's not for everybody, but
I think you're going to have more senior guys bid on a trip like that than you think.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have got an entirely different view on this. I'd bid a Tues.- Sat. run in a heartbeat. Saturday is going to be
mostly house stops and less business. Mon. is always fouled up anyway with the way they cut trips.
Plus you could get alot of personal things done on a Mon. Now I understand it's not for everybody, but
I think you're going to have more senior guys bid on a trip like that than you think.

I agree with this, Tuesday through Saturday doesn't sound bad to me personally. My kids are grown so I wouldn't miss any ball games. Monday off would mean I could go to the doctor or take care of banking or any other such business. I could take a day trip on Monday and miss the weekend crowds wherever I go.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I'm not trying to be a jerk but there is some serious overreacting to this going on.

Say you are a 10 year driver forced into a T-S schedule. My fuzzy math tells me you have 3 Saturdays off for vacation, ten possible for option and sick days plus at least 4 Saturday call ins to keep you off the radar. That's almost 1/3 of the year that you will have 3 day weekends not including other holidays that will extend your weekends.

I'm sure many of the guys threatening to quit have no clue what the job market is right now. I know tool and die makers being offered $22 an hour...that is a highly skilled job with years of training. What kind of job does busting your ass delivering packages prepare you for? You want M-friend delivering packages? Maybe FedEx Express will hire you. Of course you will take a $50k pay cut but at least you will have Saturdays off.

UPS has Saturday and Sunday, day air sorts right now. Pilots and Feeder drivers work every day of the week already and we are the highest paid UPS employees. Why do package drivers feel they are above working Saturdays? Ever see a Doctor, nurse or other professional person work on the weekend?

Step off the ledge...your kids will love to have you around Mondays during the summer and Monday afternoons during the school year. Bars and golf courses are open on Mondays too.

I'm not trying to make people mad with this, just tire of reading the whining and threats to quit. Corporate wide I doubt more than 50 people will quit when this rolls out and most of them will regret it in the near future. For the most part this job sucks but we are compensated at a level to make it worthwhile.
If you're tues-Saturday with Monday schedule off and a holiday falls on a Monday...do you still get 8 hours for that day even if it's a scheduled day off

PT Car Washer

If you're tues-Saturday with Monday schedule off and a holiday falls on a Monday...do you still get 8 hours for that day even if it's a scheduled day off
I suppose it would be just like now when a Holiday falls on your vacation week or a Holiday falls on a weekend. You still get paid for the Holiday just don't get the extra day off.

opie

Here's the thing. While I'm no fan of Saturday ground delivery and will most likely quit if forced, how will this be such a cluster with business as some of you propose?

Obviously Fedex has been doing Saturday work for a long time and they make it work so I'm not quite following how this is such a logistical nightmare.

I once read that UPS spends more money on technology than any other company. I don't have the source handy but can Google if necessary. That being said, I'm sure it's really not that difficult for them to figure out.

I don't like it but I don't think it will be a logistical apocalypse that some make it sound like.

Fedex can do it because they have seperate divisions. Fedex Home Delivery is Tuesday to Saturday. Fedex Express only delivers packages on Saturday marked for Saturday delivery. Fedex Ground doesn't work Saturdays.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Fedex can do it because they have seperate divisions. Fedex Home Delivery is Tuesday to Saturday. Fedex Express only delivers packages on Saturday marked for Saturday delivery. Fedex Ground doesn't work Saturdays.
FedEx Home WAS a subsidiary of FedEx Ground. It has since been absorbed and integrated into FedEx Ground.

Since FedEx Ground focuses on commercial addresses, that is why they were off Saturdays. It made sense to just combine Home with Ground, and basically do what the post office has a doing for years.

This is not going to kill UPS. It is being done to keep pace with competitors who already offer service on Saturdays. I foresee that as word spreads about UPS working Saturdays, some businesses may decide to take advantage and ask for service, delivery and pickup.

As for Monday plans, what are operations like for you guys on days like Black Friday or Good Friday, when volume is extra light. Here, some drivers start at the normal start time, while others start much later, around 1PM. These drivers focus mainly on pickups, and don't do much if any deliveries. This is how envision Monday is going to operate.

I remember it being said our building, with 6 delivery centers and 40-60 trips per center non-peak, will only run 75 trips for the entire building on Saturday. Also told preload will now load on Saturdayso rather than Mondays, since most of the stuff should be in by Saturday. A light skeleton crew will load on Mondays, similar to the types of preload operations seen during those andforementioned days like Black Friday and Good Friday, well Black Friday before it was turned into a regular work day.

I put my name on the Saturday list, for the reason given above about doing errands on Mondays. For those married with kids, this is a day you can be a part of that regular week routine of school and whatnot, interact with the family in a different way. And you'll still have Sundays.

When I decided to put my name on the list, I explained my reasoning to several other drivers, some who had swore they'd never do it. The list now has 7 names on it; was 8, but one guy crossed his name off. Interestingly, about half of the list are new guys who'd probably be forced in anyway, so at least they won't be upset when it happens.

guyinthebrownbox

Tuesday-saturday doesn't seem too bad. Some feeder schedules are way way worse than that. I agree m-friend is ideal. Having lower senior guys forced on it is a no Brainer. Work is always offered from the top, forced from the bottom.

The hours of service per DOT regulations would be easily worked around with cover drivers, and dedicated tues-sat drivers.

ManInBrown

Also told preload will now load on Saturdayso rather than Mondays, since most of the stuff should be in by Saturday.

That has disaster written all over it. That was done 2 peaks ago as well, for drivers who worked on Saturdays. Problem is the drivers who didn't work on Saturdays ended up having 30-45 stops on the car that weren't loaded in the board. Those stops were meant to be moved to the driver who came in on Saturday, but were never moved. Absolute disaster. Nothing like doing 200 stops and only having 20 or 30 left, but come to find out you have 80 left.

clean hairy

I suppose it would be just like now when a Holiday falls on your vacation week or a Holiday falls on a weekend. You still get paid for the Holiday just don't get the extra day off.
Except for this year, SUPPOSEDLY the day after Christmas and New Years (both Mondays) are UPS Holidays. We will see if it really works out this way...

35years

Gravy route
As for Monday plans, what are operations like for you guys on days like Black Friday or Good Friday, when volume is extra light. Here, some drivers start at the normal start time, while others start much later, around 1PM. These drivers focus mainly on pickups, and don't do much if any deliveries. This is how envision Monday is going to operate.
I doubt many drivers will volunteer to start at 1 PM on Monday if this is an every week situation.
And unlike Fed-Ex we have a contract to keep them from forcing us into half days or start times more than an hour later than usual.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I doubt many drivers will volunteer to start at 1 PM on Monday if this is an every week situation.
And unlike Fed-Ex we have a contract to keep them from forcing us into half days or start times more than an hour later than usual.
Won't need many drivers. 2 or 3 per center. Rookies looking for stable work, or perhaps a driver wanting mornings off to help get kids off to school is all that would be needed.

Since these would be new routes created, doubt the contract provision has affect here.

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

That has disaster written all over it. That was done 2 peaks ago as well, for drivers who worked on Saturdays. Problem is the drivers who didn't work on Saturdays ended up having 30-45 stops on the car that weren't loaded in the board. Those stops were meant to be moved to the driver who came in on Saturday, but were never moved. Absolute disaster. Nothing like doing 200 stops and only having 20 or 30 left, but come to find out you have 80 left.
That's from when it was unusual to do something like that. Talking about them planning for this. There should be hiccups in beginning, but will be smoothed out more or less.