UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

Tough Guy

Yes, I don't know of a single non bid holder who volunteers to do it. Currently they have been using new hire FT drivers fresh off the boat for T-Sat coverage, but as they ramp up the FT swing drivers will start to be forced to a T-Sat bid.

The new hires have been floundering out there, hence why they are begging regular drivers to come in and 6 punch.
Wouldn't that be the "easiest" day for a new hire? To just do basically residential splits? I mean, there's no commercial stuff going out is there? Save for maybe a few airs?

542thruNthru

Wouldn't that be the "easiest" day for a new hire? To just do basically residential splits? I mean, there's no commercial stuff going out is there? Save for maybe a few airs?

All retail commercial would still be open. I don't know about your center but about 85% of our routes has retail on it.

trickpony1

Dave-
Alcoholics are in a strong state of denial and "....can quit anytime."
A dependency of one day a week is still an addiction. You can sugarcoat it anyway you want.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

iruhnman630

All retail commercial would still be open. I don't know about your center but about 85% of our routes has retail on it.
But not all retail commercial is staffed to handle full receiving on Saturdays.

I don't think those mall stores will want to see full carts come through the door during a busy crowded saturday.

PT Car Washer

But not all retail commercial is staffed to handle full receiving on Saturdays.

I don't think those mall stores will want to see full carts come through the door during a busy crowded saturday.
A lot of retail commercial (Target, Walmart, mall stores,etc) don't have anyone in receiving on Saturday. Take it to customer service and wait in line?

JL 0513

This will be the advantage working Saturdays. Mostly residential and no P/U's. Little to no time commits. Not having to worry about making sure your businesses are cleared before 5. Stress free day.

The business thing is a good question. As the volume flows in, how are they going to sort out all the business off every route if UPS doesn't intend on delivering businesses on Saturday? It's mostly just public service businesses open Saturdays and as said by someone above, most places don't have receiving staff on Saturdays.

So this begs the question of how they work out the logistics of all this stuff. I can only imagine they just do no business except for Saturday air. There's no way of picking and choosing. So I'd like to know how the hell they sort all resi's from all the business coming in on trailers. Someone please explain!