UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
This will be the advantage working Saturdays. Mostly residential and no P/U's. Little to no time commits. Not having to worry about making sure your businesses are cleared before 5. Stress free day.

The business thing is a good question. As the volume flows in, how are they going to sort out all the business off every route if UPS doesn't intend on delivering businesses on Saturday? It's mostly just public service businesses open Saturdays and as said by someone above, most places don't have receiving staff on Saturdays.

So this begs the question of how they work out the logistics of all this stuff. I can only imagine they just do no business except for Saturday air. There's no way of picking and choosing. So I'd like to know how the hell they sort all resi's from all the business coming in on trailers. Someone please explain!
All addresses are already marked residential or commercial. It shouldn't be that hard to get the system to SPA all commercial addresses to a "hold" trailer for Monday.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
All retail commercial would still be open. I don't know about your center but about 85% of our routes has retail on it.
Most of you realize that UPS can designate the address as a commercial or residential and those packages won't be loaded and sent to a holding trailer right? Did you guys honestly think that the recent DIAD upgrade was solely about how shippers are coding packages to residential as businesses where you can't DR due to it being flagged was only about shipping rates? Currently no business that is flagged as such in the system is being loaded onto vehicles for delivery.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This will be the advantage working Saturdays. Mostly residential and no P/U's. Little to no time commits. Not having to worry about making sure your businesses are cleared before 5. Stress free day.

The business thing is a good question. As the volume flows in, how are they going to sort out all the business off every route if UPS doesn't intend on delivering businesses on Saturday? It's mostly just public service businesses open Saturdays and as said by someone above, most places don't have receiving staff on Saturdays.

So this begs the question of how they work out the logistics of all this stuff. I can only imagine they just do no business except for Saturday air. There's no way of picking and choosing. So I'd like to know how the hell they sort all resi's from all the business coming in on trailers. Someone please explain!
See the previous post. Currently they can seperate it and reload into a holding trailer. We've been doing this for certain days of the years already by marking it in the system. Now we have enough data to auto mark businesses without much driver input.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
A lot of jobs require employees to work on Saturday and work six days a week. I have worked six days a week for almost 40 years off and on. Either :censored2: or get off the pot and give someone else the opportunity to work and provide for their family.

40 years??? Time to retire and let the young kids come up???

Live to work or work to live?

Junkguy

One thing is certain. It won't be stress free. Who do you think will do the loading and unloading of the business packages? Who will make the Saturday pickups? Who will deliver the 200 plus resi stops. Probably a part time person or someone that doesn't already have 40 hours. It will suck I would think or they wouldn't be agreeing to do it if indeed they are. The for sure are not going to pay $40 an hour to anyone for it. Just think what that's going to do to the Monday dispatch. The lost routes and the slammed business only routes, this will be a big clusterf***. Things like this make me so glad I'm sitting on the couch reading about it and you young bucks are doing it.

See the previous post. Currently they can seperate it and reload into a holding trailer. We've been doing this for certain days of the years already by marking it in the system. Now we have enough data to auto mark businesses without much driver input.
UOTE="Jackburton, post: 2388042, member: 34538"]See the previous post. Currently they can seperate it and reload into a holding trailer. We've been doing this for certain days of the years already by marking it in the system. Now we have enough data to auto mark businesses withou

JL 0513

All addresses are already marked residential or commercial. It shouldn't be that hard to get the system to SPA all commercial addresses to a "hold" trailer for Monday.

It's a bunch of new work to now sort business and resi's and load and unload holding trailer(s). This whole process is and unproductive activity. This is nothing but money lost during that phase.

Junkguy

It's a bunch of new work to now sort business and resi's and load and unload holding trailer(s). This whole process is and unproductive activity. This is nothing but money lost during that phase.
Just think what that's going to do to the Monday dispatch. Cut routes and and the ones remaining slammed with all business. Just when you think it can't get worse. I'm so glad I'm laying on the sofa waiting on the check to drop today. I feel for you guys, and gals.

542thruNthru

Most of you realize that UPS can designate the address as a commercial or residential and those packages won't be loaded and sent to a holding trailer right? Did you guys honestly think that the recent DIAD upgrade was solely about how shippers are coding packages to residential as businesses where you can't DR due to it being flagged was only about shipping rates? Currently no business that is flagged as such in the system is being loaded onto vehicles for delivery.

Yes I know they can do that. I only thought if they were going to have people deliver they would add retail commercial locations also. But I guess it's only residential from what you say.

mrbrownstone

Here's the thing. While I'm no fan of Saturday ground delivery and will most likely quit if forced, how will this be such a cluster with business as some of you propose?

Obviously Fedex has been doing Saturday work for a long time and they make it work so I'm not quite following how this is such a logistical nightmare.

I once read that UPS spends more money on technology than any other company. I don't have the source handy but can Google if necessary. That being said, I'm sure it's really not that difficult for them to figure out.

I don't like it but I don't think it will be a logistical apocalypse that some make it sound like.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about those commercial addresses that ARE open and WANT their stuff?

The PDS will be tasked with marking those businesses that do not wish to receive on Saturday as known closed. We will still be required to make an attempt on any premium products.

Indecisi0n

Here's the thing. While I'm no fan of Saturday ground delivery and will most likely quit if forced, how will this be such a cluster with business as some of you propose?

Obviously Fedex has been doing Saturday work for a long time and they make it work so I'm not quite following how this is such a logistical nightmare.

I once read that UPS spends more money on technology than any other company. I don't have the source handy but can Google if necessary. That being said, I'm sure it's really not that difficult for them to figure out.

I don't like it but I don't think it will be a logistical apocalypse that some make it sound like.

Only people that knock it are the people that really don't want to work it. Will most businesses are closed? Sure but keep moving and continue on. You will be able to knock out a ton of house stops and probably with a lot less traffic on the road.