Ups testing delivering ground on saturdays

Johney

I can see where simply getting to packages which can be successfully delivered on Sat in a mixed pile can be a real challenge in some instances. If a route has a certain business that receives a large shipment daily but is only open M-friend, what do you do on Sat morning with that large pile of boxes that would normally go down the aisle bricking out the package car if it can't be unloaded early or even at all, giving the driver room to move around the truck and sort and line up deliveries.
This will be a dispatcher issue and likely a ton of work for said person. Tagging said addresses for hold and having them diverted to a retain trailer as opposed to running it into cars. Likely a logistical nightmare for centers sent down from some IE geek in a cubicle 1000 miles away.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Considering UPS' primary competitors for Sat. ground (FedEx Ground & USPS) do not charge extra for Sat. delivery, how will UPS be able to command a premium price? UPS NDA for Sat. delivery already has a surcharge as does FedEx Express, so nothing to change there. Consumers are demanding Sat. delivery for ground shipments and UPS is the outlier by not offering it. FedEx Home Delivery constantly touts that offering Sat. delivery for ground as a major service advantage over UPS.

Times change and companies that don't change to accommodate consumers needs lose market share and revenue. It's about time UPS offers this option. Since UPS typically rolls out new services at the start of the year, it's likely Sat. delivery for ground will become a standard service offering in Jan. 2017.

I don't disagree. I do think this is a test run for peak. Which is when I think it will come out for a full test. The only issue is how they get around the contract for the hours and day stuff.

PT Car Washer

I don't disagree. I do think this is a test run for peak. Which is when I think it will come out for a full test. The only issue is how they get around the contract for the hours and day stuff.
I wonder how UPS hopes to find enough qualified hard workers for a PT job that pays $10.15/hr for 4 hours a day. Promise to pay new workers 15/hr just to get them in the door? More smoke and mirrors from HR.

mainebrown

Will they make us work 6 days? Or create a tues-sat bid? 6 day work weeks equals goodbye family time, weekend getaways, we work enough hours Monday -Friday as is.

Hellobrown2000

This will not be the norm come January. The contract is up next year meaning this probably won't be mandatory till peak 2017 or 2018. Sundays will be next and so will us having to pay for benefits.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Being competitive went out the window long ago, if it didn't then service wouldn't have gone down the tubes with all the carriers. Every carrier knows that there is more than enough volume to go around and no one company could ever handle it all and they all know that.
And the pie is growing by the day.

brett636

I believe this is long overdue. Fedex Ground and the post office both make regular deliveries on Saturday which has given them an edge over us for packages going out over the weekends. Closer to the end of the week all of our local amazon facilities start to load up on fedex ground trailers to get those Saturday deliveries out which are packages we could be be moving instead. This will probably mean more volume and more package car(and maybe a few feeder positions as well) for us going forward if this is expanded nation wide. I can see the company trying to cut out Saturday air drivers altogether as a result and that is unfortunate, but maybe some of those drivers will take this opportunity to go fulltime which can be beneficial for them going forward.