Ups Unprepared For Air Volume

A

Anonymous Coward

.....So while our planes are mechanically sound, that is why all week there were mechanical problems in so many of our planes. And why there seemed to be a rotating schedule of mechanical problems....

No aircraft mechanicals where I work. For the month.

O

Original Anonymous

airman11 said:
The solution to that was simple. If the pilot refused a jumpseater on company business, ie pilot deadhead, then ALL jumpseaters were banned from the airplane. That includes their buddies trying to get home for Christmas.

Needless to say, that silliness ended abruptly.
Thanks 11. Good info..

A

Anonymous Coward

I Think U.p.s. Highly Underestimated The Volume That Large Shippers Like, Harry & Davids, And 800 Flowers Poured Into Our System. We Need To Be Better Prepared.

wkmac

dannyboy said:
No problem. I dont know the air system that well to have posted that type of information. Just thought I would set the record straight.

d

Hey Dboy, just fake it like the rest of us!
:lol:

Captbrown

Dannyboy,

Please dont allow management to get of the hook for the failures of this peak by blaming the pilots. That is way too easy and nothing will get done to better prepare for next year.
Just a few facts from someone who was there:
  1. If the aircraft you were waiting for was down for maintenance, it was just that. We dont break aircraft and we dont any input into the decision on how it will be fixed. That decision is between UPS maintenance and the FAA.
  2. Volume was extremely heavy on the air side this peak, 90% of the flights I flew were late due to loading. I know of no other pilot who purposely tried to be late.
  3. Jumpseaters on UPS aircraft ride with the approval of the captain not UPS. This authority is granted from the FAA not the company. We have already had one captain fired for refusing jumpseaters, needless to say he was reinstated a week later with full pay.
I hope this help clear up any confusion.

ddomino

If the systems in place work the way they were designed, UPS knew the night before what every driver would have (or should have based on no delays). EDD assignes a number to each address based on all addresses that will be on that truck that day. These numbers change daily based on what is inbound to be delivered that day (already known in EDD). If anyone thinks Atlanta and all the boys-in-the-know didn't know, I am selling some ocean front property in the everglades you may be interested in. The bottom line since the summer of 04 has been only THE BOTTOM LINE. All else goes by the wayside; service, customers, family....need I go on? EDD was put into place to get more for less. The top brASS think it can work because some bean counter said it would.

The bottom line for UPS in the real world is that Wall st. did not reward them, but most certainly did reward Fedex. UPS stock went along at mid 70's while Fedex soured to a new high of $105.00+.

Unprepared is an understatement.