Ups vs. FedEx ground "hd"

Exec32

200 stops often, 170 avg, I'm guessing less than 50 mile route? This is the exception not the rule. utilization is off the charts as well as the revenue. The contractor should pay you your worth, which considering your route revenue, compensation should be more than what you get paid. Given the size of these packages, it is difficult to believe one truck can accomplish this, however again I can attest no one at my terminal has anything close to those numbers.
Contractors work together to artificially suppress wages, this exist because these contractors have to spend increasing amounts on resources, resources that to them are more important to them than a liveable wage.

ManInBrown

Just a new guy posting in here. I've been reading these posts for a while. I realize ups drivers get better pay and benefits overall but I wanted to discuss the differences. Yes Fedex ground isn't Union. And we do things differently. I leave my bulkhead door open all day. I leave my truck running at MOST stops, not all. I do have bulk stops and businesses. Also I deliver in a high traffic, heavy populated area. Many apartments and cross over major freeways and highways not to mention in and out of a very busy street all day. Average at least 200 packages plus and about 170 stops plus. It does get over 200 stops fairly often. I average 25 stops per hour or so. I'm hustling but not going crazy and sprinting to each stop. So my question is what's the difference in pay. I get 875 a week and quite often I'm paid per stop on heavy days. Also I am paid a 300 dollar bonus at the end of every month in lieu of benefits. This year I am predicting close to 60k a year. Let me know all of your opinions and thoughts please and thanks.
I make between $1775.00 and $1950.00 per week. 46 to 49 hours per week

SmithBarney

Just a new guy posting in here. I've been reading these posts for a while. I realize ups drivers get better pay and benefits overall but I wanted to discuss the differences. Yes Fedex ground isn't Union. And we do things differently. I leave my bulkhead door open all day. I leave my truck running at MOST stops, not all. I do have bulk stops and businesses. Also I deliver in a high traffic, heavy populated area. Many apartments and cross over major freeways and highways not to mention in and out of a very busy street all day. Average at least 200 packages plus and about 170 stops plus. It does get over 200 stops fairly often. I average 25 stops per hour or so. I'm hustling but not going crazy and sprinting to each stop. So my question is what's the difference in pay. I get 875 a week and quite often I'm paid per stop on heavy days. Also I am paid a 300 dollar bonus at the end of every month in lieu of benefits. This year I am predicting close to 60k a year. Let me know all of your opinions and thoughts please and thanks.

Lets just say a first year driver at UPS make $50k+ and gets free benefits... and once they top out some make close to 100k or more a year. and if you are making 60k, that's very good, I know some 10yr express drivers that don't break 35k(before taxes)

Your route sounds like some UPS routes I know..(on the express side, we have lots of flux in our market, but I average 130stops 115miles/day, the 4 different time commits is the killer, 130stops runs about 20stops an hour, the more stops I get that number just goes up.. had over 200 for mothers day think I ran 30)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lets just say a first year driver at UPS make $50k+ and gets free benefits... and once they top out some make close to 100k or more a year. and if you are making 60k, that's very good, I know some 10yr express drivers that don't break 35k(before taxes)

Your route sounds like some UPS routes I know..(on the express side, we have lots of flux in our market, but I average 130stops 115miles/day, the 4 different time commits is the killer, 130stops runs about 20stops an hour, the more stops I get that number just goes up.. had over 200 for mothers day think I ran 30)

There are very few Express drivers who break $50k these days. I know, I know. Someone will get on here and say they make $65k...OK. But my point is that most of us here at FedEx make less than a first year UPS package car driver, with far fewer benefits and no retirement.

A UPS pension for a career employee is about $5k per month.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You're what they call an outlier in mathematical terms. Assuming you are telling the truth, you make far more than the average Ground/HD driver, but are still severely underpaid, especially since you have no benefits at all.

bacha29

Even if he is telling the truth, he's not going to last long enough for it to matter. With no health insurance, no disability plan , no pension the eventual destruction of his body will not render him success nor qualify him for survivor status instead he will simply be another casualty and no income . Just a worn out body with no money that was not retired but rather simply disposed of because it could no longer lend itself to the task of making somebody else rich.

image.jpeg

Something like that...

I know I am making the contractor rich. I talk to him and the managers all the time. I've worked as a climber at a tree service, a roofer, and some demo work as well. This work as a courier isn't exactly easy all the time, but is honestly not comparable to those other jobs physically. My point is I've never made anywhere near 100k. 60k isn't bad but I'd love that 100k mark. Do they hire drivers off the street at brown anymore?

bacha29

Mr fedexman. You have been duly advised by qualified individuals as to what awaits you. There will come a day and it always comes sooner than you plan when you will cross your own threshold of pain and you can no longer go out there and kill yourself in exchange for a modest living , what will your employer do? He will get somebody else, terminate you with no further obligation to you whatsoever. What will you do then? Climb trees? Crawl along some house roof trying to nail shingles? A few weeks back I talked to a woman from vocational rehabilitation about future employment possibilities . She explained in emphatic detail about
how " we have a continuous trail of drivers and delivery people many years from retirement coming in here with their knees and hips gone trying to find something else to do for a living. Furthermore getting Social Security Disability benefits is now simply the luck of the draw".

dmac1

I know I am making the contractor rich. I talk to him and the managers all the time. I've worked as a climber at a tree service, a roofer, and some demo work as well. This work as a courier isn't exactly easy all the time, but is honestly not comparable to those other jobs physically. My point is I've never made anywhere near 100k. 60k isn't bad but I'd love that 100k mark. Do they hire drivers off the street at brown anymore?
As soon as fedex catches you with the motor running or bulkhead open while making a delivery, you will be out on the street.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
55 hours per week is WAY too much.

There is more to life than money.

Some routes are unavoidable when it comes to a lot of OT. I know a few alone in my center, mine included, that averages 55-57 because of late pick ups and bulk etc and early commit delivery times for big money shippers