UPS vs Fedex

Leftinbuilding

Interesting...on Fedex's "heaviest day ever" they delivered 19.8 million pieces. UPS averages 15.8 million pieces a day, year round. Fed averages 3.4 mil a day. Didn't realize there was such a gap.

Last edited:

Leftinbuilding

They average more than that. They r about half our size.

Per YAHOO........How UPS will deliver millions more packages than FedEx today - Yahoo

Holiday season in the United States is show time for United Parcel Service (UPS) and FedEx—respectively, the world’s number one package deliverer and largest cargo airline. With online retailers already posting huge numbers for the season, both shipping magnates are expecting big numbers for the holiday season. FedEx CEO Frederick Wallace Smith revealed Wednesday that Dec. 17 was its busiest day ever, handling 19.8 million shipments.

That number still pales in comparison to the 28 million packages that UPS will deliver on Thursday, Dec. 20, its own busiest day of the year. On an average day, UPS handles 15.8 million packages. FedEx, by contrast, averages north of 3.4 million packages per day.

The scale difference also shows up clearly in the financials. In their last reported fiscal years, FedEx raked in $26.5 billion in revenue (for the year ending May 2012) compared to the $53.1 billion UPS boasted (for the year ending Dec. 31).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I believe FedEx peak day number includes ground where as the average daily volume is just based on fed ex air. That would be my guess.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Interesting...on Fedex's "heaviest day ever" they delivered 19.8 million pieces. UPS averages 15.8 million pieces a day, year round. Fed averages 9 mil a day. Didn't realize there was such a gap.

FedEx - 9 M ADV to 19.8 M PeakDV = ~100% increase
UPS - 19.8 M ADV to 28 M PeakDV = ~50% increase

Think I would rather work at UPS during peak (and the rest of the year for that matter).