UPS would not allow me to leave...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Tie, I see where you stand and explain why the company is doing what they do. However, at the same time what's your opinion, as a member of management, of forcing employees to stay? And I add this: given the road and weather conditions as a consideration. As Joopster and I said, we'd be glad to stay any other night. -Rocky

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Does anyone find it interesting that Joopster is not responding to some of these posts?

And no mention of what the union advised the employees to do, if there was respresentation in the sort.

We all have our opinions of what should have been done, could have been done, but only Joopster can tell us what was done and by whom

Nothing was said before the end of the sort to our supervisor. We punched out and tried to leave. We were then told if we left we would be at a hearing for job abadonment. Yes I got paid for the time that was spent while I was being threatened with my job.

I did not see a steward around or else I would have asked him/her. I just know the next time I am going to walk right by, and not respond. I hope someone puts there hand on me as I do so.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, I see where you stand and explain why the company is doing what they do. However, at the same time what's your opinion, as a member of management, of forcing employees to stay? And I add this: given the road and weather conditions as a consideration. As Joopster and I said, we'd be glad to stay any other night. -Rocky

My opinion. Its an act of desperation with more negatives then positives. You tell the shop stewards what you are doing they tell you they will support you then go hide somewhere.
Even joopster says he could not find his. Thats typical.
Many of your part timers get overly dramatic over the whole event of forced overtime so you tend to have a spike on turnover. Employing this tactic tends to hurt your employee realations with your people. I've seen it done twice and both times I think the negatives far out wieghed the positives gained for one night.

A

Another Driver

If you punched out, you punched out. I wish someone had taken a video with their camera phones of this "incident." And I would love to see UPS try to make a "firing" for this event stick.

Zypher22

It's really easy for everyone to jump to conclusions. We are only hearing one side of the story here. Where is the line for being threatened and being warned? For example, IMO telling someone that if they leave they can be disciplined for job abandonment does not constitute a threat, but rather a warning.

Lol Call the cops.....Yeah call the cops, while they are there ask them how many double shifts (more than 5 hours each I might add) they have had to pull in emergency situations where they wanted to leave but couldn't......

The bottom line is the job has to get done, if everyone just goes home and we can't provide the service our customers expect/require, we will all be without jobs. To me I would rather work an occasional double shift to make sure I/we have jobs for years to come than to not have a job a few years down the road when our customers move to the competition.

BEEGDADDAY

It's really easy for everyone to jump to conclusions. We are only hearing one side of the story here. Where is the line for being threatened and being warned? For example, IMO telling someone that if they leave they can be disciplined for job abandonment does not constitute a threat, but rather a warning.

Lol Call the cops.....Yeah call the cops, while they are there ask them how many double shifts (more than 5 hours each I might add) they have had to pull in emergency situations where they wanted to leave but couldn't......

The bottom line is the job has to get done, if everyone just goes home and we can't provide the service our customers expect/require, we will all be without jobs. To me I would rather work an occasional double shift to make sure I/we have jobs for years to come than to not have a job a few years down the road when our customers move to the competition.

GOOD ANSWER. WE HAVE TO MAKE THE SERVICE OR YOU WON'T HAVE A JOB TO GO BACK TO WHEN THE WEATHER CLEARS.

D

drcolossus

These are part time jobs. UPS wants all these jobs to be such. They can't have it both ways. It's unfortunate that there were weather problems, but UPS can't force you to stay. Many workers have other jobs and lives to get to. Joopster, next time go to your steward first. There is always one somewhere in the building. Almost everyone today carries a cell phone. Make an effort to get their number before situations like this arise. And one other thing, today UPS can't get enough decent people to take your job. It's doubtful you would lose it over something like this. UPS management uses threats and intimidation to get what they want regularly. Get used to it. Stand with your coworkers to resist it. A reasonable company would have asked those people who don't have other commitments if they could help out and stay. UPS also could have offered something like double time to entice people to stay. But instead they chose to intimidate. I'm not surprised, I've seen it for 25 years.

UPS will and has always used this kind of practice on part timers because they are naive and gullible. They are also the group which is the least educated by the union. I mean no disrespect by this as I am speaking from expeiriance,I was in the same place 20 yrs ago. If this happened to a group of drivers there would be a sup looking for a job.

Last edited:

Zypher22

UPS will and has always used this kind of practice on part timers because they are naive and gullible. They are also the group which is the least educated by the union. I mean no disrespect by this as I am speaking from expeiriance,I was in the same place 20 yrs ago. If this happened to a group of drivers there would be a sup looking for a job.

Yeah, there are never any drivers that have to work more hours than they would like to........

Working more hours than we would like,yea sure. Being turned around at the gate with threats of termination,never. Would actually like to see it tried.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
There's a life outside UPS?? I simply refuse to believe it. What's next? All driver's will be dispatched with enough work to afford said driver his 70 minutes. Or even worse; Smart labels become smart?

tieguy

Banned

LOL, where are they then. The drivers are forced to work overtime every day.

And if you want to leave when your 8 hours are up and your jobs not done you just leave?
We run 24/6, technically the work is never done.
The thread isn`t about who works overtime it`s about people who are off the clock being turned around at the gate with threats and itimidation. Thats what I said would never go over here.

tieguy

Banned
We run 24/6, technically the work is never done.
The thread isn`t about who works overtime it`s about people who are off the clock being turned around at the gate with threats and itimidation. Thats what I said would never go over here.

I can't speak to whether a supervisor told them to punch out and you can't either.
But we can speak to forced overtime and forced overtime happens in every job including ups.
And in every job whether they are kind enough or not to stand at the door and tell you is irrelevant. If you leave you lose your job. Its not something UPS invented in that buildiing with those people.
And yes you and your folks in chicago are no different.

BoogaBooga

There are lots of companies that end up needing empolyees to work another shift. But they usually ask each individual by seniority and hours available. Then if employees are needed to work another shift, they are indeed forced to stay. But usually they get another lunch break with a meal voucher. I think UPS management instead of delivering ultimatums, and pissing off it's people, should already have a plan in place. The plan could be implemented when conditions such as bad weather could force employees to work a second shift. The plan would first "ask" it's employees to stay, and "why" management is asking. Second, the plan would allow employees time to call and make changes to their personal lives. Third, the plan would provide a free, decent meal (sorry-not just a slice of pizza) and additional time to eat, and rest. Fourth, the plan would 'thank" employees for staying. Lastly, the plan would state the company has the right to force empolyees to stay by reverse seniority order and available hours.

trickpony1

MitEman-
Your suggestion would require forethought and planning by the company as well as treating people with respect. Not gonna happen.