US Economy

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The gov't works for me .
Except around here the potholes don't get fixed , the bridges are falling apart because all available funds are needed to fill pension liabilities .
Checkout Chicago ; $2B unfunded pensions ,
teachers starting salaries at $70,000 , the next Detriot .
Come on over and attempt to drive on my state's roads . Bring lots of spare tires with you .
So you can not give a source. Just spewing garbage, thanks for clearing that up.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
There was an increase in the volume of vehicle traffic this winter due to the fact that the Mass Bay Transit Authority ( MBTA ) had to cease operations due to winter operations .
Funny how a railroad & bus line gov't operated system failed to prepare for known weather conditions .
http://www.mbta.com/weather/
Weekday Service recovery will take place in stages with updates to various lines on March 2, March 9, March 16, March 23, and the resumption of full service on March 30.

rickyb

If I included the Republicans in that post, it would have made the whole post untrue.

your clueless about ur own country. then again i dont know too much about canadian politics except that hte federal leaders of every major party besides green are corporatists i believe.

rickyb

The gov't works for me .
Except around here the potholes don't get fixed , the bridges are falling apart because all available funds are needed to fill pension liabilities .
Checkout Chicago ; $2B unfunded pensions ,
teachers starting salaries at $70,000 , the next Detriot .

detroit is a wreck because manufacturing jobs were outsourced because of lower wages and few regulations overseas.
China's factories dump 60,000,000 tons of waste into the ocean every day — 90% of China's water is polluted

i find that hard to believe that their starting salary is 70k. where im from they start at 45k or so, and it takes some time to get to 70k. i personally think they should start at 60k, and they are probably worth more than 70k. lets not forget im talking canadian dollars.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
detroit is a wreck because manufacturing jobs were outsourced because of lower wages and few regulations overseas.
China's factories dump 60,000,000 tons of waste into the ocean every day — 90% of China's water is polluted

i find that hard to believe that their starting salary is 70k. where im from they start at 45k or so, and it takes some time to get to 70k. i personally think they should start at 60k, and they are probably worth more than 70k. lets not forget im talking canadian dollars.
Don't be stupid, it's all the teachers union fault that the roads in Chicago are in bad shape.
I can just imagine Baba going down the road, hitting a pothole, and throwing his hands up in the air and screaming about how all those overpaid teachers are responsible.

rickyb

Don't be stupid, it's all the teachers union fault that the roads in Chicago are in bad shape.
I can just imagine Baba going down the road, hitting a pothole, and throwing his hands up in the air and screaming about how all those overpaid teachers are responsible.
i know what was i thinking??

rickyb

http://www.alternet.org/robert-reic...0001&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

New technologies aren’t just labor-replacing. They’re also knowledge-replacing.

The combination of advanced sensors, voice recognition, artificial intelligence, big data, text-mining, and pattern-recognition algorithms, is generating smart robots capable of quickly learning human actions, and even learning from one another.

If you think being a “professional” makes your job safe, think again.

The two sectors of the economy harboring the most professionals — health care and education – are under increasing pressure to cut costs. And expert machines are poised to take over.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will be left providing the only things technology can’t provide – person-to-person attention, human touch, and care. But these sorts of person-to-person jobs pay very little.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
he was the one who said it. i dont bother googling ridiculous assertions. i know theres a war on teachers in america. its very unlikely what he said is true
http://www.ctunet.com/for-members/t...ions-Final-Showing-Pension-Pick-up-092412.pdf
http://www.ctunet.com/for-members/t...ions-Final-Showing-Pension-Pick-up-092412.pdf
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/12/how-much-do-chicago-public-school-teachers-make/
A Chicago Public Schools spokesperson said average pay for teachers, without benefits, is $76,000.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Now we're talking. Let's get into the facts.
A teacher with a Bachelors degree, teaching in a traditional 208 day school year, starts at over $50,000.
A teacher with a P.H.D. teaching in a year round school, starts at over $70,000.
Median salary for a man in Chicago with a graduate degree: $79,566. (source)
I guess the real question is, do you not think teachers deserve to make this much money? It seems to be pretty much in line with the salaries for the area.

Earlier in the thread, you made a comment about the state of Chicago's roadways, and tried to relate the lack of funding for infrastructure to the high teacher pay and pension fallout. Now call me crazy, but are the teachers and their union really responsible for this, or does the real fault lie with the same politicians who are trying to scape-goat the teachers and their union?

Personally, I see education as an economic issue. If we can't attract and retain well qualified teachers, we can't properly educate the children (future workers), who will attract high paying jobs and industries. Trying to bring teacher compensation into a discussion about our inability, or unwillingness, to address a failing infrastructure seems to me to be nothing more than a distraction.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The point I was attempting to make was my roads & bridges were not being fixed due to necessary funds being diverted into under funded pension funds .
When a one party run area makes the rules for decades every citizen loses . The unions always get what they want in exchange for their votes .
Thus The Teachers Union is able to hire and keep their salaries high thus showing other city unions how to do the same . Promises were made to fund all the pension funds at high rates , but when the economy falls problems arise .
The City of Chicago was an example used as having a problem with elected officials making promises that they knew would have to be handle with long after they had died .
Many major cities and even our own pension funds are in this same danger .
Promises made years ago are no long valid in a falling economy .
The Federal Gov't has set standards on which pension funds are at critical stages which might cause payment amounts in the near future to be decreased .
When the cities reach this critical stage , the elected officials will not be able to lessen the salaries without losing their own power to maintain office so other city services will suffer .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The point I was attempting to make was my roads & bridges were not being fixed due to necessary funds being diverted into under funded pension funds .
When a one party run area makes the rules for decades every citizen loses . The unions always get what they want in exchange for their votes .
Thus The Teachers Union is able to hire and keep their salaries high thus showing other city unions how to do the same . Promises were made to fund all the pension funds at high rates , but when the economy falls problems arise .
The City of Chicago was an example used as having a problem with elected officials making promises that they knew would have to be handle with long after they had died .
The Federal Gov't has set standards on which pension funds are at critical stages which might cause payment amounts in the near future to be decreased .
When the cities reach this critical stage , the elected officials will not be able to lessen the salaries without losing their own power to maintain office so other city services will suffer .
My issue with this reasoning, is still that those pension obligations have absolutely nothing to do with infrastructure.
Gas taxes have remained relatively stagnant for years, all the meanwhile vehicle efficiency has gone up. Teacher pensions are a completely separate issue. Trying to tie these two issues together after the fact is grasping at straws.

I will agree to a certain extent that promises made when the economy is great are up for reinterpretation when the economy gets bad. Would you agree, following the same line of thinking, that social security benefits should be drastically cut, and the promises the federal government made to the baby boomers shouldn't be honored?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If you cut the SS funds today that are given out to the new arrivals a majority who are well under their 60's , then yes the system could survive .
Had a conversion with an SS employee yesterday , this employee has been there for over 2 decades and said that about 120 clients are handled @ day .
Out of that 120 a majority are new arrivals who believe that payments are due to them at age 20.
Must be from all those pamphlets bhos' administration has been handing out south of our border .
The people this employee used to see would have been persons about to turn 62 or 66 who were trying to get their paperwork done early .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
oh , by the way.
My state puts all the taxes from gasoline into the State's General Fund .
Gasoline taxes are not used to fix intrastructure , so they are part of the under funded liabilities that have to be addressed .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
oh , by the way.
My state puts all the taxes from gasoline into the State's General Fund .
Gasoline taxes are not used to fix intrastructure , so they are part of the under funded liabilities that have to be addressed .
That's friend'ed up.
The gas tax is one of the few taxes I actually approve of, because those who use the roads are theoretically the ones who pay for them. Leave it to politicians to dip their hands into every fund in sight, sad.

bbsam

Staff member
For what it's worth, my experience is that $76,000 in Chicago doesn't get you very far. A lot of things is at least twice as expensive as on my side of the state.

rickyb

a pension is an employers promise to pay future wages in exchange for present wages. so the employees are owed. but corporations and government quite often mismanage their employees pensions.

where im from teachers unions are the most organized and they certainly dont always get what they want. teachers unions are good they actually strike. the only problem is they dont push for more rights like 5 weeks vacation, affordable or free college, etc.

the reason you have cracks in the road is political. it is not because america is a poor country. the country is awash in wealth, but it is simply not distributed in the first place correctly (it goes to the 0.1% or whatever), and it is not redistributed through taxes correctly.

on top of that the federal government spends 50% of its budget on military empire.

regarding social security, the government has spent alot of the savings for it to keep the debt down or whatever. social security has a regressive tax: so after roughly 120k you pay a smaller and smaller percentage the richer you are. they could easily change this and then social security would be paid until 2075 or something. and i think social security should be expanded, i heard its quite a small amount when you retire. its one of the best programs out there and its government run, so of course wall st is trying to privatize it.