using your seniority to not work

herbigharo32

Here's the thing. If I am loading an air can, perhaps several already, and another guy with a few more years seniority makes the first cut. Fine. I will not be loading his stuff. Sorry, NOT sorry!! That is when I do my number 2 bathroom stop, fill my jug, grab a soda, and chill.....jus' chill!! Let the winds of the dock fans be at my back. If they can afford to start sending outbound out up to several hours before downtime, why should I tear my ass up doing the work of three people?

GodlikeRage

im aware of using your seniority to get the work thats available before others...but is there anything in the southern agreement that states one can use their seniority to not work. for example: demanding to be sent home before others with less seniority... more specifically, giving a lower seniority driver your DIAD and telling them they're running you're route today and you'll be the one going home "MUAHAHAHA"
Yes, however if someone with more seniority than YOU wants go to home there’s a problem. They can file a grievance. Work is offered from the top down, forced from bottom up. So it’s really up to the supervisors if they’ll allow it. They can technically say no since like I said they’d have to ask everyone above you in seniority first. They’re not gonna take the time to do that lol.

iruhnman630

Contract says seniority works.

We used to do past practice and seniority could go home, but Saturdays really put a wrench in that.

No more.

Seniority works

Grindstone

Plus five hours a week of lunch plus commute. That's a 55 hour week of being away from home as an expectation.

That's toxic, even at that OT rate.
Yeah, my 50 min commute didn't seem so bad back before our management said ":censored2: it" to reasonable dispatches and getting drivers out of the building on time.

wilberforce15

Yeah, my 50 min commute didn't seem so bad back before our management said ":censored2: it" to reasonable dispatches and getting drivers out of the building on time.
Most of our drivers might work a 10 hour day at most, but that's getting home after 8pm.
9-7, plus an hour lunch. Then commute.

If your kid is under like 15 years old, you can't even tuck them into bed. What kind of life is that? 5 days a week all year?
Then those miserable saps ask me why I'm still PT. You're not seeing any games or attending any plays. You're not having a dinner at home at a family table. It's just pathetic and toxic.

lol. I'm PT because I see they're miserable.

Last edited:

Driver7906

In the last few years that I was still in a package center, we’d have days where there would be extra utility drivers. I’d ask if I could go home and management would reply “No. We don’t have anyone who knows your route.” It would drive me crazy because when I was a rookie we got sent out on blind routes all the time.

El Correcto

god is dead
Not necessarily, like when I was super low seniority management would force higher seniority guys not to be able to bump me because I would cause economic loss to the employer by letting the route crash and burn.

El Correcto

god is dead
I guess it would be harder for cover drivers to do this now days with the map cradles. All I had to do was start asking them directions and let them know my phone wasn’t coming with me if I was going out blind.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
The only language I see relative to my location about using seniority to getting out of work or leaving early is Article 4 Section 3 of the Western Region supplement:

SECTION 3 - RECOGNITION OF SENIORITY
“The Employer recognizes that the principles of seniority shall be given prime consideration in the every day operation of the business.”

So if I understand correctly they’re supposed to put a member’s seniority before instructing them to do anything whether it’s to cut, keep or ask if they’d like to work for the day.
We don't have this language in 710... I've always been jealous of it.