using your seniority to not work

myreqoil

im aware of using your seniority to get the work thats available before others...but is there anything in the southern agreement that states one can use their seniority to not work. for example: demanding to be sent home before others with less seniority... more specifically, giving a lower seniority driver your DIAD and telling them they're running you're route today and you'll be the one going home "MUAHAHAHA"

charm299

im aware of using your seniority to get the work thats available before others...but is there anything in the southern agreement that states one can use their seniority to not work. for example: demanding to be sent home before others with less seniority... more specifically, giving a lower seniority driver your DIAD and telling them they're running you're route today and you'll be the one going home "MUAHAHAHA"
Article 64 in southern supplement

dogs.bite.me

Article 64 of the southern.

Brownwind

Not sure. It would be nice sometimes.

We’re fighting for the right to work and the privilege to represent the company while making a quality living. I’m going let my fellow bc members answer your question.

Hope you get what you’re asking for.

allahuakbar

She/Her
When I first started a senior guy handled me his diad and said you’re on my route today. I tossed his board under a truck and walked away. You have the right to work not the right to go home.

over9five

Staff member
Seniority in all instances.
It's like when shifting here. When the work slows down, yard control will start with the top guy in the yard, saying over the radio "Stay or go?"
I'm not in the Southern, but I would hope Seniority matters there too.

wilberforce15

Our management and union always say seniority can't be used like that. I think they're wrong.

If there is work available and too many people to do it, the work should be "offered" in seniority order. Then, when the senior guy doesn't want it, it's the same as the right to go home.

Ask them to offer the work in seniority order, rather than asking them to go home. It's the same thing. But it sounds better.

wilberforce15

When I first started a senior guy handled me his diad and said you’re on my route today. I tossed his board under a truck and walked away. You have the right to work not the right to go home.
The right to work and the right to go home are the exact same thing.
If you have the right to the work, it means you have the right to be offered the work first.
And that means you can turn it down, in which case you can go home.