Was told I am fired. What do I do?

rod

Retired 22 years
So you think a railroad job is worth leaving ups?

I don't know how the RR is to work for now. Check it out real good before you pull the plug on UPS. You know the old saying about The grass is always greener........The RR's must have some forums like we have Brown Café---read some of those.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it seems obvious to me that management failed on this kid. 108 stops during training , then 160-80 when on his own. is this normal?

since he was on probation and probably sol I would go in to the office and confront his immediate supe and confront him with some facts ( in a nice way at first ) to defend myself.

if that doesn't work , then mano o mano ... tell him what you think and walk out of there with your head held straight.

you are probably better off without this place.

bbsam

Staff member
Rumor has it that some of the railroads are on a hiring spree but be for-warned---if you get hired you will be working some crazy long hours.
One of my drivers left for the railroad. I have lunch with him occasionally. Said the work can be sporadic and one of the big issues they have is with electric plants shifting to natural gas, a lot of rail work (coal) has dried up.

Box Ox

Thanks.

Starting pay I think is $30/hr gotta think hard

If it looks good to you, I say go for it and enjoy your intact, pain-free body.

Whatever the situation with the railroads is, it'll probably have fluctuations just like the package business. Big volume shifts, Uber-esque alternatives and emerging tech that puts pressure on well paid workers. Few are safe these days.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
it seems obvious to me that management failed on this kid. 108 stops during training , then 160-80 when on his own. is this normal?

since he was on probation and probably sol I would go in to the office and confront his immediate supe and confront him with some facts ( in a nice way at first ) to defend myself.

if that doesn't work , then mano o mano ... tell him what you think and walk out of there with your head held straight.

you are probably better off without this place.
Or it worked as planned.
UPS gets enough mediocrity from inside ... use the opportunity to get some good people.

watdaflock?

Panhandling--8625.jpg

clean hairy

I could be wrong, but when this person goes in on Monday to return the uniform, they will also be hading over their pass and walked out.
I doubt the Bosses are going to be interested in any kind of deate with a former employee.
Would be interested hearing from the OP if i was right on this.

P

pickup

To the Original Poster, I am sorry it didn't work out. It sounds like you didn't get a fair shake. As for turning in your uniform, I think you might want to wait on that. As for your last check, I don't know if it is going to be a live one or not. I don't know if you were on direct deposit, but even if you were, the last check may be live. Someone may want to confirm this for me. And if you weren't on direct deposit, then it is definitely a live check.

I would just make it one trip on Thursday : turn in your uniform and grab your check as opposed to coming in Monday and giving up your id and uniform and then coming back on Thursday for your check and being denied access to the building. Oh, sure they might mail it to you or they might not.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge about the last check can chime in but that's my two cents.

Again, I'm sorry about the way things turned out and I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

moldsporh

What's all this throw in the towel garbage?

Check the language in the contract. If he is supposed to have 6hrs then 8 hrs with sup, then the same solo, you need to find a steward that will enforce this.

He is also if I'm not mistaken he's supposed to be on the same route for 30 days.

Otherwise you are letting them win.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
What's all this throw in the towel garbage?

Check the language in the contract. If he is supposed to have 6hrs then 8 hrs with sup, then the same solo, you need to find a steward that will enforce this.

He is also if I'm not mistaken he's supposed to be on the same route for 30 days.

Otherwise you are letting them win.
There is no language for him, he's a temp..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I have always been the exception in whatever I have done. :)

You mean by lying, cheating and doing things outside the prescribed methods but by your own accord, when it only benefits you?

Man you really are a classic textbook narcissist.

We get it. You really do think highly of yourself.

But the real measure of being great at what you do is how those around you respect you.

Look at that and I'm betting you'll get a reality check