Washington Redskins change their name

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That's B.S. you can't even say 'Indians' today......you have to say Native Americans (I never do). So, Cleveland is just as screwed up as Washington according to political correctness. Redskins is a fine name.

Where did you hear you cant use the word "INDIANS" anymore? How lame of excuse is that? Of course, its clear that you would use any racial slur that you could get away with to describe people of color, and you have done so many times on this board.

You are the kind of person that would be cool with a team from Orange country called the Anaheim Gooks. You would say its a term that is used everyday by people close to you in your area, considering "little Vietnam" is just down the street from your hood.

What could be wrong with Gooks? ( I could just hear you asking) Its a term of endearment ( as Cashsuxs would claim ) for little vietnamese people.

You people just dont understand how RACIST you really are deep inside. If you cant evolve from your racist roots, you can never be respected.

The argument over the term "REDSKINS" isnt about "YOUR" feelings moreluck, but rather, the feelings of the thousands of actual american native indians who are offended by the term.

Maybe, if you could put your hatred for people of color aside, you would see how insensitive the term is, But I know you cant, its part of your character.

Peace

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
I've never even heard of Little VietNam.......so how can it be close to me. You once said Calvert was my guy.....I'm not in the 42nd district.
I don't need respect from the likes of you.
I'll just keep things my way.....lots of people wouldn't want me to change a thing. Go ride your putt-putt and beat people up like you said you do..

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We as a society decide what is and isn't acceptable. When I hear the word redskins, I don't even think of Native Americans, I think of football... I'm betting that goes for a lot of other people too. If you don't like the name, don't support the team or the NFL.
It is important to consider what actual Native Americans think of the name though:
90% of American Indians find the name of Washington "Redskins" Acceptable

We as a society decide what is and isn't acceptable. When I hear the word redskins, I don't even think of Native Americans, I think of football... I'm betting that goes for a lot of other people too. If you don't like the name, don't support the team or the NFL.
It is important to consider what actual Native Americans think of the name though:

90% of American Indians are more worried about the poverty levels in the reservations that they live in.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Really DRIVE? A poll from 2003?

Please.

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I've never even heard of Little VietNam.......so how can it be close to me. You once said Calvert was my guy.....I'm not in the 42nd district.
I don't need respect from the likes of you.
I'll just keep things my way.....lots of people wouldn't want me to change a thing. Go ride your putt-putt and beat people up like you said you do..

Aww, ok, play dumb if you will, but here's the hot info for ya on LITTLE SAIGON just down the road from you!!

Little Saigon, Orange County, CA | Westminster | Vietnamese Business Directory | người Việt namGuide to Little Saigon, Orange County - Sunset.com

Guide to Little Saigon, Orange County - Sunset.com

Little Saigon | Anaheim/Orange County - Visitor Information

Like I said, just down the street from ya... Maybe those "Anaheim Gooks" isnt so far fetched for ya , eh? "its just a term of endearment".

TOS

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My uncle used to play minor league baseball for the "Atlanta Crackers" back in the 1940s. I guess I should be offended, but I'm not.

tourists24

Teams don't make their nicknames to belittle themselves. They use that name as a source of pride and distinction. There is no racism or hate in the name unless you are looking for it. Kinda like a few years ago when a few tried to have the swimsuit competition removed from a beauty pageant. A few offended people try to get attention but means means very little in real life. Stop looking for things to be offended at

pretender

If there was a team named the Whiteskins, they would be called racists by the same people who are offended by the name Redskins...

I guess I'll have to withdraw my name suggestion of "UPS Feeder Fatasses" for our softball team as it could be construed as offensive by some panty wearing left coast busy body.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
No Need for Redskins to Change Name, Says PETA - PETA

When you hear the word "redskin," what do you immediately think of? Potatoes, of course! And who could be offended by a harmless redskin potato—except, maybe, for the Yukon Gold lobby (and if Alaska had a football team, rest assured that we'd be the first to suggest the Yukon Gold Diggers as a franchise name).

Don't change the legendary Redskins name. Just change the logo.

redskins.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
No Need for Redskins to Change Name, Says PETA - PETA

When you hear the word "redskin," what do you immediately think of? Potatoes, of course! And who could be offended by a harmless redskin potato—except, maybe, for the Yukon Gold lobby (and if Alaska had a football team, rest assured that we'd be the first to suggest the Yukon Gold Diggers as a franchise name).

Don't change the legendary Redskins name. Just change the logo.

redskins.jpg

Me for that with some steak and asparagus.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ok, its easy to understand why "white" people wont take the time to consider the history of the Native American Indian. Nobody wants to revisit that era, no matter how horrific that period of time was for the Native American Indian.

I know its alot simpler to downplay the word "redskin" as if it has no negative conotation to it.

The American Indians would disagree however.

In the pioneer days, states paid "bounties" for REDSKIN heads and scalps. The word "REDSKIN" was a generic word that encompassed ALL native american indians in the country. The early "paymasters" for the redskin heads and scalps used the head of an indian with a feather on it as its logo.

The STATES paying bounties for killing indians and returning their heads and scalps is a disgusting part of american history.

My state, CALIFORNIA paid out MILLIONS of dollars for the slaughter of all indians in the state.

Read:

RW ONLINE:True Story of the 1849 California Gold Rush: Gold and Genocide

quote from article:

""
In his January 1851 message to the California legislature, California Governor Peter H. Burnett promised "a war of extermination will continue to be waged between the two races until the Indian race becomes extinct." Newspapers cheered on the campaign. In 1853 the Yreka Herald called on the government to provide aid to "enable the citizens of the north to carry on a war of extermination until the last redskin of these tribes has been killed. Extermination is no longer a question of time--the time has arrived, the work has commenced and let the first man who says treaty or peace be regarded as a traitor." Other newspapers voiced similar sentiments. ""

The murdering of "REDSKINS" should never be a word that is "honored" by anyone in this country who has a conscience. To attempt to downplay the word is OFFENSIVE in itself.

Would any of you support a team called the "Alabama N-GG-rs?"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ok, its easy to understand why "white" people wont take the time to consider the history of the Native American Indian. Nobody wants to revisit that era, no matter how horrific that period of time was for the Native American Indian.

I know its alot simpler to downplay the word "redskin" as if it has no negative conotation to it.

The American Indians would disagree however.

In the pioneer days, states paid "bounties" for REDSKIN heads and scalps. The word "REDSKIN" was a generic word that encompassed ALL native american indians in the country. The early "paymasters" for the redskin heads and scalps used the head of an indian with a feather on it as its logo.

The STATES paying bounties for killing indians and returning their heads and scalps is a disgusting part of american history.

My state, CALIFORNIA paid out MILLIONS of dollars for the slaughter of all indians in the state.

Read:

RW ONLINE:True Story of the 1849 California Gold Rush: Gold and Genocide

quote from article:

""
In his January 1851 message to the California legislature, California Governor Peter H. Burnett promised "a war of extermination will continue to be waged between the two races until the Indian race becomes extinct." Newspapers cheered on the campaign. In 1853 the Yreka Herald called on the government to provide aid to "enable the citizens of the north to carry on a war of extermination until the last redskin of these tribes has been killed. Extermination is no longer a question of time--the time has arrived, the work has commenced and let the first man who says treaty or peace be regarded as a traitor." Other newspapers voiced similar sentiments. ""

The murdering of "REDSKINS" should never be a word that is "honored" by anyone in this country who has a conscience. To attempt to downplay the word is OFFENSIVE in itself.

Would any of you support a team called the "Alabama N-GG-rs?"

All of this ties-in with Manifest Destiny, which today is presented in a thinly-veiled form by the Right called "American Exceptionalism". In other words, Whites are exceptional and everyone else isn't, and they were "destined" to take over this country from the Native Americans due to their inherent superiority. I'm glad they changed the name, even if it is largely a symbolic move.