week four - the final push!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Austin.Was.My.Hero, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

Sounds like some places are working right now - Sunday AM.
    Our small hub is closed (thankfully) but after visiting the mall yesterday I'm guessing tomorrow and Tuesday is pretty rough.

This peak has been really smooth so far. Are we going out on a good note or getting creamed this final week?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

How would foot traffic at the mall equate to packages in our system?

3. Jeremaih156

Jeremaih156 Member

I heard Monday is going to be the heaviest day this peak season at our hub. Hell, we loaded Saturday to make it easier to load Monday

4. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

I think it's people getting a few last minute gifts before shipping it Sunday. Granted not everyone at the mall is mailing gifts. Just was surprised by the amount of people at this small mall near where I live...

5. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I just saw an ad on TV from a place (pajamagram) still guaranteeing delivery by Christmas.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Very few people who waited until the weekend before to shop will be turning around and sending those presents out as they would have to pay for at least 2nd Day Air to get them there.

I went to the mall yesterday morning to get my hair cut and it wasn't nearly as busy as I thought it would be.

7. McGee

McGee Well-Known Member

Just heard tomorrow ( Monday) is the last day to order from amazon ( IF you have Prime...to be there by Wednesday)....
    Its coming....

8. I can't wait to push it out so I can flush it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Wife just read me the list of emails still offering Christmas delivery. 4 out 5. QVC didn't didn't say guaranteed. Our Sunday delivery got cancelled. Monday and Tuesday will be bad hopefully it dies on Wednesday.

10. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Wednesday will start OK and then the Air will show up at 4pm.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  11. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Don't you mean 11 am then 2 pm then 4 pm with breaking off for meet points every time?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. jaker

jaker trolling

Wow you really are the luckiest man alive

I rode past 5 malls yesterday and every single one had traffic backed up onto the freeway

13. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

I'm guessing Monday will be lighter. Due to our Saturday delivery. Tuesday will be a heavy day. Equal to last week. Wednesday will be a 5-6hr day. With a helper. Then off till Monday

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Our Saturday delivery was all NDA and Savers. A lot of it was Monday volume but I still only had 20 stops. Less then a normal Saturday but we used twice as many drivers. Brought back all my apartment deliveries for Monday. Pick ups at the UPS stores were there normal heavy volume. All in all I have had worse Super Saturday the last 20 years. I do believe this will be my last Super Saturday. Time for the kids to grow up.

15. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

I don't miss picking up those UPS stores. :D My DOT job is only a shuttle between local buildings, fortunately.

16. MendozaJ

MendozaJ Active Member

The internet continues to take a chunk out of retail. Greater retail sales in turn means greater internet sales. If 20k shoppers pack a mall, you can bet an additional 5-10% are shopping at home.

17. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

I'm still anxious to see whether or not the rumor about Amazon cutting off SurePost is true. That could really create quite the SURGE for UPS and FedEx.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Same

19. sailfish

sailfish Having way too much fun.

Peak has been going surprisingly smooth here too. Just have to hold out for three more days!

20. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Retail is retail whether it's internet or physical in-person purchases from a bricks n mortar business. Higher than usual foot traffic at a mall doesn't necessarily mean anything. It could mean that more people are shopping locally than online (unlikely). It could mean that too many people procrastinated and waited until the last minute and realize they don't have time to shop online. It could mean that the economy is doing better and people have more money to spend this year and are shopping more both in person and online. Additionally things that would be delivered in the next couple of days were ordered last week.