DS

Fenderbender
Dual post in fedex discussions

I think we should have 3 shifts to cover air/ground/late pickups

A

anonymous6

Dual post in fedex discussions

I think we should have 3 shifts to cover air/ground/late pickups

agreed. in my discussions with customers the main complaint is cost and service is almost even. i was told by a manager that our biggest selling point is service.

DS

Fenderbender
agreed. in my discussions with customers the main complaint is cost and service is almost even. i was told by a manager that our biggest selling point is service.
Same here,but it seems to me that ups could just do what retail stores do and offer 5% off any quoted and verified rate.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Biggest complaint I get from customers is sales reps telling the customer, "I'm giving you the best rates we can offer." Then a week later FedEx comes in a tells them that they can beat that and when customer calls UPS rep and tells them they will go FedEx the UPS rep tells them that they can do better. Well if that's the case, why lie the first time and tell them it's the best rate you can give them. I've lost a few customers for this reason.

bluehdmc

Biggest complaint I get from customers is sales reps telling the customer, "I'm giving you the best rates we can offer." Then a week later FedEx comes in a tells them that they can beat that and when customer calls UPS rep and tells them they will go FedEx the UPS rep tells them that they can do better. Well if that's the case, why lie the first time and tell them it's the best rate you can give them. I've lost a few customers for this reason.

Unfortunately the price the UPS sales rep may give is the best he can at the time. When the customer tells them FedEx quoted them a better price the UPS's boss may allow them to quote a better price.

Did you ever shop for a car, go to one dealer and get a price, then go to a second dealer, get quoted a price and tell them dealer #1 could beat that?
Then dealer #2 gives you a better price?

If you're shopping for something you can apply that game to anything, cars, mortgage rates, aluminum siding, etc.

DS

Fenderbender

The shareholders want as much money as they can get,and are underestimating the price of undercutting fedex.
The volume will override the cost.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can't do anything more than I am already doing.
I think a more pertinent question is why are both companies giving the post office so many packages?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I understand both those points myself but unfortunately our customers don't see that when a sales rep is directly in front of them and tells them that is THE best rate they can do. They feel like they are being lied to. I understand sales and profits completely. Especially when it's high volume customers being "lied" to. More volume means you can make more in smaller increments.

ymelord

Unfortunately the price the UPS sales rep may give is the best he can at the time. When the customer tells them FedEx quoted them a better price the UPS's boss may allow them to quote a better price.

Did you ever shop for a car, go to one dealer and get a price, then go to a second dealer, get quoted a price and tell them dealer #1 could beat that?
Then dealer #2 gives you a better price?

If you're shopping for something you can apply that game to anything, cars, mortgage rates, aluminum siding, etc.
Treating customers like a car salesman does, is not good. Most of the people I know don't think much of how car salesman treat them

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can't do anything more than I am already doing.
I think a more pertinent question is why are both companies giving the post office so many packages?

I believe, that in well defined urban settings, we would be better served to deliver the packages for these areas; cutting the post office out.
While the margin would be less, it would enable us to build our infrastructure to serve what will be an ever growing urban household base.
We already target businesses that receive multiple packages on the premise that each additional package to the first becomes exponentially more profitable.
The household of tomorrow is the future of this company if they don't mortgage it for the instant gratification of today.

Packmule

A) Why does my building, which puts an average 27 drivers on the road, have 15 management, clerical people tippy tapping on computers? What does any of that do for the customers? Cut that in half and put another driver on the road so we can adequately take care of the customers needs.

B) Stop delivering NDA 30 miles out in the sticks. No one is home but the dog and we are wasting tons of fuel and time.

C) In my little town, we need to make it worth some main street business's time and effort to be a drop location for customers that want to use us. They go FedEx or PO strictly because those carriers have set up drop off locations. So far, UPS won't cut anybody any deals, and consequently, if the customer doesn't run across me, they are forced to use our competition--and yes--I have pointed this out to customer service.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
How about consistent delivery and pick up times like we use to have. Customers don't know if they will get their delivery right after they open or right before they close. Stuff gets moved around and routes cut until customers can't depend on when or what driver will show up.