What do you think? The Utmost Importance of Safety at UPS.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
so they can be laid off in a month when the weather changes?
Most ramp people work 4 hr shifts...you have your head up your arze and are in insult to pkg car drivers everywhere, hot or cold !! Why don't you come back and discuss "safety" with us after you have spent 15 or 20 years out in the elements in a package car, not from a heated office drinking the Brown Kool-Aid!!! Ok college boy!!!

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Most ramp people work 4 hr shifts...you have your head up your arze and are in insult to pkg car drivers everywhere, hot or cold !! Why don't you come back and discuss "safety" with us after you have spent 15 or 20 years out in the elements in a package car, not from a heated office drinking the Brown Kool-Aid!!! Ok college boy!!!

Wow. Did you find that in the "Most generic response to management" book? Read the thread and know what you are talking about before you go all Braveheart on me, ok old, grumpy guy?

I haven't sat in a heated office for the 11 years I've worked for UPS. I'm not a 20 year old 'college boy'. I've been on the road...I know and appreciate what package car drivers have to deal with. I was using my ramp employees (and myself) as examples of people who couldn't gripe about the weather in a manner that expects UPS to realistically do anything about it. Kind of hard to put a roof over an airport. I never said they worked harder than package car drivers. I think everyone understands they are 4 hour employees. But, again, if you were not so ignorant, you would know that when they DO have to work extended amount of hours, it's during some of the nastiest times of the year...and it all happens at night. All of it. Not just the last few hours of overtime. It wasn't a direct comparison of workload, but a simple example of another set of people who have no choice but to be in the weather...and for similar lengths of time when things get busy (peak season??).

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'm not saying the rampies don't work hard. Nor am I saying that the aren't out in the weather, I 'm a feeder driver and go quite often to a nasty cold Gateway in the N.E and I see how hard it is!!MY BEEF with you is the way you came across to some other posters on adding a rte or two in extreme weather to enhance their safety and your cold UPS management robotic spiel answer to them seemed offensive to me and people who have been out on a P.C for many years compared to your 90 joy ride on a cul de dac house call rte !!

Integrity

Binge Poster
To All Participants,

Thank you all for your spirited discussion and participation in this thread!

I think a part of the problem and the incongruity that we find with regards to safety at UPS can be found in the original post.

Remember it is not just UPS (the Employer) that makes the bold statement regarding the utmost importance of safety, the IBT (the Union)does so also.

Safety is covered in detail in Article 18 of the Master Contact and the care of the injured employee is covered in Article 14.

How often do you see union BAs overlook unsafe acts as they walk through the buildings?

How often do see union BAs support enforcement of safety training?

When was the last time you saw your local file an OSHA complaint?

How has your local union done maintaining the contract integrity of the Safety and Health Committees?

How does your union support the right to refuse to work against UPS safety training?

When was the last time you saw Article 14 enforced?

Add your own question about this if you like!

In aims of adding traction to this discussion my point is this:

Hourly workers should expect the IBT (locally and internationally) to lead the way in making the safety of the working men and women they represent the utmost important aspect of their representaion.

They should be expected to take whatever means necessary to ensure the integrity of workplace safety at UPS.

Please speak freely as you will!

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
And for those of you who need the government to tell you how to handle the cold.
http://www.nmdhsem.org/uploads/File...a59e9aa/19 Winter Storms and Extreme Cold.pdf
Take extreme interest to the pointers of driving a car. Do it in the day, avoid backroads. As for frostbite, well the longer you are out the more likely it becomes, your body does run out of fuel. Especially when you work through the normal dinner time.
toonertoo9(and other interested parties),

OSHA Cold Weather Information:

Emergency Preparedness and Response: Safety and Health Guides - Cold Stress

THE COLD STRESS EQUATION

File a complaint if you think a violation exists.

Sincerely,
I

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It was never my intention to demean anyone, everyone works hard. PT workers work just as hard, if not harder in a shorter period of time. which is probably a good reason why it is pt work, aside from the fact there isnt usually an all day operation, except at major hubs to work them full. I was pt 8 yrs, its all tough.
This week, I have been tweaked. I saw no good reason to cut a total route, when there was plenty of work to go around. If we all worked 11 and there was 3 of us in a loop.....not a mathemitician, but ............................So I am a wimp, it was -15 wind chill, we are not used to that here. They canceled schools, many businesses closed, especially those who had to work outside. It beat the hell out of me.
Then the drivel of safety blah, blah, blah ad nauseum. But make sure not to idle your car..........What the heck is a guy suppose to do, who has no whee to take a break but his pkg car? Dont back in driveways, walk it off. Ever try dragging a dolly through a foot of snow, or even less. Its impossible, then you hit a bump and it all falls in the snow. Meanwhile snot is rolling down your face, your eyes hurt, and your cheeks are frozen. Your fingers ache, it just sucked.

Bad Gas!

Safty first...Our dispatcher couldn't manager to put in an extra route today.No problem, more drivers went over 9.5 than any day of the week today...But to top it all off. I had a pkg drive up to my area and drop off 2 left in building pkgs..Driving the pkg car were a ups driver in the drivers seat and a ups driver riding shotgun with a clip board...They were both doing 8 hour safty rides and swapping misloads.....Pt of story: so UPS cant put in a route to level dispatch but they can send 2 drivers with coded safty hours out to ride around...Not good for todays attitude if you know what I mean!!!!@

DS

Fenderbender
LongTimeComing
You make some good points about weather and the reality of dealing with weather,
but your gung ho attitude really pisses me off.Mark my words.At some point,some idiot in Atlanta,
will do something to make you realize they really don't give a shi t about you.You are cute though,
Jim Casey,had dreams of a company run on honesty and integrity,now that is all history.
Now,it's all about money.
Get a grip.UPS will hurt you in the end.
See if Google is hiring,that way,you may have a future.
I have lost faith in ups.
I'm just a robot that knows to look left right left.
This has been a public service message brought to you by DS.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
LongTimeComing
You make some good points about weather and the reality of dealing with weather,
but your hung ho attitude really pisses me off.Mark my words.At some point,some idiot in Atlanta,
will do something to make you realize they really don't give a shi t about you.You are cute though,
Jim Casey,had dreams of a company run on honesty and integrity,now that is all history.

No DS! Don't be assimilated.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
but your gung ho attitude really pisses me off.Mark my words.At some point,some idiot in Atlanta,

Look, I truly do understand where you guys are coming from. It sucks, and there is a big problem of inconsistency from building to building, center to center. Sometimes, the problem comes down to managers who have thrown in the towel themselves....Take whatever email was sent down...don't care how it's applied to the operation....just want the numbers met...no thought involved.

That brings me to another problem. Morale isn't on the spreadsheets. Happy workers make better numbers. It's a matter of managing the information that is sent to them. I see each level of management as a sort of 'filter' or 'translator' of the messages that come from above. Upper management is soo far removed from the day to day that they haven't a clue on how to actually MAKE those numbers. The center manager's and On-car's need to translate that to fit into the specifics of their operations. They need to filter out the BS, and get to the point. It's give and take. Sometimes, you just have to give up on one particlar statistic in order to make the other. There is no way possible to run a sustainable operation in ANY operation and hit or blow away the target goals that are sent down from corporate. The moment more management teams realize this, and put the most important things at the forefront, the better off everyone will be.

But they've given up too.

Upper management doesn't intimidate me. I could care less about their personal take on the specifics of my operation. I welcome them to come on down and attempt to run it better. You call me "Gung Ho" because you think I'm Captain Company. Not really, I'm just confident in what I do and the decisions I make. I'm not scared to make decisions. A lot of management are. And even though I'm not protected by a Union....They can't just go off and fire me for ****s and giggles. But I appreciate some of the back-and-forth in this thread....when it was relatively mature.

Moving on now, as this dead horse has been kicked enough.

stink219

The last line is key, those of us that truly believe in safety do choose it over the other two, yet my center gave two wooden plaques to two employees for running over 400 stops in one day during peak.
I buy myself a plaque every time I do less than 100 stops BUT go over 10 hours. Lol

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Good News, and good point Longtimecoming. I think mgmt has given up because so many of them are close to retirement and just want to get us out the door, per ivory tower instructions. I do not blame them.
When I worked preload, we were allowed to dispatch per our knowledge. As long as there was enough work, we could put in a load. Now they cannot, without permission, or fear of reprimand if they make a mistake. Volume estimates are great and used to be very close. Now as we saw the day I believe it was before Thanksgiving we had trailers sitting everywhere.

The morale spread sheet will show up, when there is some.