What is considered harassment by supervisors?

tieguy

Banned
What he's doing specifically is standing behind me while I work and commenting on how slow I'm going. Sometimes he'll correct some boxes himself saying "this is easy, this is easy, just do this" and sometimes at the end of the day he'll call somebody (presumably the supervisor of the next shift where all my backlogged work is going) and say something like "I'm gonna send you extra work because I have this slow-ass PAS clerk" or something. You know, the basic stuff.

Sounds bad. Any ideas on why you are so bad at this job?

tieguy

Banned
He's doing him a favor by belittling him and putting him/her in a job they can't perform? Do you really believe this?

Maybe YOU shuold go into supervision. You have done how many jobs at UPS and for how long and you're already coming up with these concepts? :D

The poster could not cut it loading or unloading so they moved him/her into the easier pas job where he/she still stinks.

Aerosion

Well I can see most of you side with my supervisor. I can't really be mad at any of you, I know of some people in my building that flat out refuse to work and not get punished.

I've already admitted that I'm slow at the job and was moved two times, but whatever they want me to do I do, and I'm certainly not going slower just to spite them, I don't have time for that.

I've only been on the job 4 months, I haven't started anything with anyone, and I don't see why it is that I deserve to be screamed at just because I'm not performing to their standards, especially since I wasn't brought in as a PAS in the first place.

But I think I see what you guys are saying, which is not to cry to the union just yet. I'll stop by his office tonight when I get in and try to explain my view.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
look kid, i dont want to rain on your day, but what the heck makes you think anyone is going to care when you...
try to explain my view

what does your view have to do with it, either you can do it or not, that simple. and the company sets the level. not all people are ups materiel. it sounds like you washed out of several other jobs to the easiest in the building, and you think you are being harrassed because the sup is telling you to speed things up?

you might soend your time more wisely trying to figure out what makes you that much slower than everybody else, and what you can do to better yourself.

ya ever think that the steward is telling you how it is, but you are too dense to listen?

d

rocket man

Dont listen to tie guy. For you problem ARTICLE 52 EMPLOYEE MANAGEMENT RELATIONS.WRITE A GRIVANCE IT WILL WORK plus a separate letter to the union letter of consern good luck let me no what happens

scoobypanda

Well theres is a 70lb limit every UPSers is supposed to be able to lift repetively to hold their job, is that not a standard to base production off of, if i have to have 2 employees do the job of one, why have the one when the 2nd can do the job just fine?

The job description your handed when your hired determines a fair days work.
so if you cant do you job description you need to worked with, followed up with, warned and told you may need to find another job.

If I was your supe, I would hold you accountable to my arbitrary, made-up standard of typing and spelling ability. I would then write you up after each and every one of your posts.

M

mthbstr

If his actions are directed towards causing you to improve then that's one thing. Some sups can be brutal, but then become real people again once the improvement they crave manifests. I've had one boss for whom I could never improve enough for. That's why I moved to a different work site. Bosses are trained to be rough at first, then ease up once your "training" so to speak is done. School teachers do the same thing to a smaller degree. Personal insults of any sort are NOT appropriate! Good luck, we wish you well.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Contact says fair days work for fair days pay , company decides what a fair days work equals.

Thank God that the above statement is only one management persons deluded fantasy and not the reality.

The company's interpretation of what constitutes a "fair days work" is, at best, an educated guess and at worst a deliberate, cynical attempt to intimidate its employees into taking unsafe shotcuts and working off of the clock in a desperate attempt to meet an impossible "standard."

I shudder to think of what life at UPS would be like if the idiots from I.E. who do our so-called "time studies" were actually allowed to define what constitutes a "fair day."

atatbl

Thank God that the above statement is only one management persons deluded fantasy and not the reality.

The company's interpretation of what constitutes a "fair days work" is, at best, an educated guess and at worst a deliberate, cynical attempt to intimidate its employees into taking unsafe shotcuts and working off of the clock in a desperate attempt to meet an impossible "standard."

I shudder to think of what life at UPS would be like if the idiots from I.E. who do our so-called "time studies" were actually allowed to define what constitutes a "fair day."

I love how you only quoted one part of his post and then wrote that ridiculous response. That may come off as harsh, so I will just ask you something.

Who decides a fair days work? The entity or the subsidiary of it's workers?

You implied (and were correct) that IE does not single-handedly define a fair days work. I gather from previous posts that you are intelligent; therefore, you will not try to imply that the union does.

So my next question is this: Who does create the definition?

I will give you hint: The answer (via example) lies in the first two sentences of Tieguy's quote (which you conveniently left out).

lucky... guys can't perform... let's give them something easier... hah..what do we do with them in peak?? nothing move them around some more....1=1 right? no.., it is up to you, the non newbie to pick up the slack.. dont worry the newbie makes the same as you, just no benefits... get screwed, rto and complain another day... let us drown inthe irony... it sounds like you have some cake job and you are too much of a milk chicken to handle it

drewed

Shankman
lucky... guys can't perform... let's give them something easier... hah..what do we do with them in peak?? nothing move them around some more....1=1 right? no.., it is up to you, the non newbie to pick up the slack.. dont worry the newbie makes the same as you, just no benefits... get screwed, rto and complain another day... let us drown inthe irony... it sounds like you have some cake job and you are too much of a milk chicken to handle it

huh?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I love how you only quoted one part of his post and then wrote that ridiculous response. That may come off as harsh, so I will just ask you something.

Who decides a fair days work? The entity or the subsidiary of it's workers?

You implied (and were correct) that IE does not single-handedly define a fair days work. I gather from previous posts that you are intelligent; therefore, you will not try to imply that the union does.

So my next question is this: Who does create the definition?

I will give you hint: The answer (via example) lies in the first two sentences of Tieguy's quote (which you conveniently left out).

How about skipping the hints and giving us all your answer? Who do you think should determine what constitutes a fair days work?

UPS has every right to place expectations on its employees. The problem starts when those expectations are entirely arbitrary and totally divorced from reality. I'm not really interested in allowing UPS to be the sole arbiter and judge of what a fair days work really means.

atatbl

Who do you think should determine what constitutes a fair days work?

Whoa.... Hold up a minute..... My dialogue with you started when you and tie were talking about who does constitute a fair days work. It was not about who should constitute it.

You know the answer already. So do I. Everyone here does. It is UPS. That is what I took from tie's post. You, apparently, did not agree. I was flustered by this since you seem intelligent and the answer is obvious. The company (any company) defines it. Yet, you think otherwise? C'mon, quit arguing just to argue.

UPS has every right to place expectations on its employees. The problem starts when those expectations are entirely arbitrary and totally divorced from reality.

If this statement were true, (and let me reiterrate your phrasing here to really make the point) and the expectations were "entirely arbitrary and totally divorced from reality" NO ONE WOULD EVER SCRATCH. In fact, if that was the case, under allowed would not even exist, now would it?

I'm not really interested in allowing UPS to be the sole arbiter and judge of what a fair days work really means.

Nor am I. But the company is the company. IE, sales, the UNION, etc., etc. do not exist without "the company".

But I have a feeling you already know this. You probably just wanted to argue. You know as well as I, UPS decides productivity, no one else. OTHERS can FIGHT it, but it is what it is.

Mike Hawk

Does it really matter who decides? The union doesn't recognize the companies production standards, so discipline based on that wont fly and the company can't change your pay to reflect the work you do, so what does it matter?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

The poster could not cut it loading or unloading so they moved him/her into the easier pas job where he/she still stinks.

Tie, you are probably 100% correct. The problem is, it's almost impossible to fire the thread author.

I do not deny the system fails sometimes.

The problem is, the supervisor is going to over-supervise and belittle him and make him want to quit. Which is equally as wrong as "stinking" at his job.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Dont listen to tie guy. For you problem ARTICLE 52 EMPLOYEE MANAGEMENT RELATIONS.WRITE A GRIVANCE IT WILL WORK plus a separate letter to the union letter of consern good luck let me no what happens

This is why there are such great relations between unions & management & vice versa.

Everybody, on both sides, knows that the person can't perform and should not even be employed, but damn all that, I'm union, I'll fight to keep the job I am unqualified to do. Why? Because I can.

It is exactly the same as people sueing ladder companies when they fall off a ladder, or sue McDonalds when they get burnt spilling coffe on thier crotch. They want something for nothing, and take no personal responsibility. I am OWED this. Bull. You fall off a ladder or spill your coffee on your privates, just admit you are clumsey or stupid & move on.

If you clearly cannot do a job, get a job that you can do, elsewhere. I personally would be embarassed to file a grievance for this.

Punt.