What is wrong with this picture?

iam

Hey Griff...If you or anyone else doubt what the mechanics get for their pension just go to their website and check it out. Go to IAMNPF.ORG and click on National Pension Fund. Then click on non-participant and then on Rate table. This gives you the monthly benefit for each year of service. Currently the mechanics under my contract have $6.50 per hour put into their pension. Multiply that times 30 years.Of course the contribution rate changes every year. Past years were lower, future years will be higher. Last year the rate was $6.05. Next year will be more. Oh, also we are under rate table one.

SmithBarney

... Given all that, mechanics are not the money-makers for UPS...

wanna make a bet, mechanics are the one thing besides customers that let
the 'money makers' go make money.

Could UPS run without preloaders, yup
Could UPS run without sups, yup
Could UPS run without IE, yup (and probably more effeciently)
Could UPS run without running trucks?

But of course, UPS works together as a team... but I wouldn't be so negative on the
mechanics, if I had the skills I'd be working right next to the mechanic(he's been working solo in what is defined as a 2 mechanic center for about 7 years)

I sometimes found it miraculous that our mechanic could get stuff
fixed, 35 Package Cars and constantly in need of something.
When he took vacation, you could tell... nothing got done.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Can anyone confirm this? I heard any major truck work are contracted out and that the mechanics main job is to upkeep pm, sorta like a "mash unit" getting trucks back on the road asap and leave the heavy maint. to the company's chosen repair shops.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
i hate the mechanics on our building, i seriously do. i'll give 3 examples why: I'm out on a route one day & the sensor thingy on the dash wont stop beeping, the alternator light on it was blinking non stop. I write it up in the DVIR. Come in the next morning expecting it to be fixed, the mechanic just took the sensor thingy out of the truck completely & left bare wires hanging. Unbelievable! Example 2: This just happened today, covered a route for someone who called out sick. I'm filing out the DVIR at the end of the day & noticed a few pages back that the regualr driver had asked the mechanic to move the mirrors up a little, the driver is about 6'2 & the guy who had the route before him was only around 5'4 in height. I figured it would be no big deal for the mechanic to do that, grab a wrench & spend 10min to adjust the mirrors. Mechanic wrote back in the DVIR "The mirrors are where UPS wants them to be". What a d***! Another time I was shuttling late airs out to drivers & the truck broke down at food store where I met one of the drivers. Truck was backfiring everytime I started it up & the throttle was stuck so that everytime I put it in gear it would jump & start revving the engine uncontrollably. Clearly a safety hazard to myself & others on the road. Mechanic refused to come out even though I was only 15min from the building. He instead told me to "just take it slow" & bring it back to the building when I was done. I hate being at the mercy of imbeciles.

I hope you got one of those snazzy Road Call Buster T-shirts.

Leftinbuilding

wanna make a bet, mechanics are the one thing besides customers that let
the 'money makers' go make money.

Could UPS run without preloaders, yup
Could UPS run without sups, yup
Could UPS run without IE, yup (and probably more effeciently)
Could UPS run without running trucks?

But of course, UPS works together as a team... but I wouldn't be so negative on the
mechanics, if I had the skills I'd be working right next to the mechanic(he's been working solo in what is defined as a 2 mechanic center for about 7 years)

Lets leave all those "running trucks" in the bldg and see how much revenue they generate.

trickpony1

........(he's been working solo in what is defined as a 2 mechanic center for about 7 years)

But think of the money the company saved by not hiring the other mechanic :lol:

magoo57

You all remind me of the old joke about the parts of the body arguing which part of the body was the most important.....and the "brown management" won

mikestrek

A recently retired UPS mechanic gets $6200.00 per month pension with a little over 20 years with the company. I like and respect our mechanics, but still....they are really just "support" people. Who knows what the pilots get? What about we who do the real work of UPS? Gotta love the multi-employer pension "plan".
You can't help a package drivers pension by bringing down a Mechanic. I've heard teachers crying about how they go to college and make less money than the UPS guy. SAME THING! You can't raise a teachers pay by bringing down the UPS guy.

Leftinbuilding

No wonder UPS is in trouble-- our reading comprehension seems to be nil. I ma not trying to bring the mechanics down or diminish their importance to the company. I wish we could BE BROUGHT UP TO THEIR LEVEL!!!! Sheesh.........