what to do

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
ah 88

not too long ago a steward got canned and was upheld at the panel that was fired more because of attitude than production. but production, and the importance of the driver to be able to demonstrate his ability to follow instructions and work to his ability were key aspects to the case.

while i agree that production by itself is not a termination issue, couple that with other things in his case the ability to change attitudes and that ups does have the right to set standards and hold drivers accountable. that is what got him fired, not just production.

as long as you exhibit a good attitude, and do your job to the best of your ability, production is not an issue. its when you cop the bad attitude, and challenge their right to set standards that drivers end up out on the plank.

d

No disagreement here, never said you could not get fired for other things, and I will agree most of the people management target ers the ones that have that arogant attitude that you can't touch me, and they really have no idea of the contract or how to use it.

If you read the rest of my post, i said you should ask them to tell you what your doing wrong. This was not meant to be arrogant, only as a sincere question. As long as you listen to them and try your hardest, follow the methods, you will not be terminated for over allowed.

while i agree, jesus loves you and merry christmas, there is really no connection between the two.

if you will look at the background of christmas, you will see that jesus, in all reality, is not at all the reason for the season. he was a johnny come lately to the celebration, much after the fact.

it was to keep the holiday for the germanic tribes so that christianity would be accepted by them, and renamed to make the holiday more palatable for christians during the time of the church's domination.

remember, jesus loves you

and merry christmas:wink2:

d
Merry Christmas too you.

UPSGUY72

The Sup should have driven off with the package car. A thief isn't going take the keys they are going to take the whole car or packages in it.

They should have fired this guy along time ago. I know he would have gotten is job back but it would have giving him more of a wake up call being out of work for weeks or months instead of a couple of days.

The people that cut corners trying to save time are runner and gunners. Don't they realize that when they come in under dispatch is just going add more stops to there route making then have to work harder.

BILLYB

I can remember a cocky employee I had one time. This driver came back late to the building when the hub was going down. The Hub Division Mgr who looked like a part-time supervisor told the driver to park his car and start unloading it so they could get down. The driver handed him the keys and said "do it yourself"! The driver did not know who he was....the division manager fired him on the spot and told him to go sit in my outer office.
The division manager came in and told me what happened... we had a great laugh. He said do you want to keep him? I actually thought about it... but told him yes. So he went out reamed the driver and told him that I got his job back and he better change his attitude.

Believe it or not - this guy really really changed.

I suggest that you and the manager and the steward figure out a way to "fire" this guy. Let him stew about it and make him think his time and luck have run out. Then let him have his job back with a reassurance that his attitude will change or next time he won't be so lucky. This may save him from ever doing something foolish again that could hinder his safety or the safety of others including packages. Maybe you could put in some Gross Negligence language and scare the living daylights out of him. He needs to think he has lost his job or nothing will change.

This will be a lot easier if he is married and has a family... you can put the "Jewish" guilt trip on him.

Good Luck - This guy does not realize how much you care for his success but maybe some day in the future he will realize what a good friend he had in you!!!
What a Load Of CRAP! We do not park pkg cars in our center and if you TELL me to do something I would also tell YOU to go to hell! Ask me - I just might! YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN YOUR WORST EMPLOYEE! Don't be an ******* about your supposed supervisory power.

BILLYB

This is an ignorant post.
I can tell you this right now... I am DONE trying to be politically correct for the sake of people that make pre-judgements or who are ignorant! As far as I am concerned you are making a pre-judgement about my character. Anyone who knows me knows what kind of person I am. Leave Jesus out of this. This has nothing to do with God! You make me laugh... this is so ignorant!

I was trying to describe a term that I should have been easily understood. ... But apparently not to you! LOL!

Maybe you should get to know some Jewish folks and round out your diversity.
Based on your arrogant answers so far I think I can make a fair evaluation of where you stand UPS Lifer! Continue to be Unpoltically correct - you alone might be able to change the world to your point of view! GOOD LUCK!

BILLYB

In my experience.... 5% of the people cause 95% of the problems.

And not because they are legit.... You have some people that are just combative and always feel they have to prove something. I like nothing more than butting heads.... for the right reasons. Actual contract violations and complaints are what most people have trouble working through. Yeah, it might be BS.... but then it is just a complaint.

Kind of the running joke at alot of the panel's is:

"Same case.... Different face...."

Don't let them know your face. My 2 cents.
Hey BUG - great post! We have just 1 driver of 60 that is BWM (buddies with management) and he disrupts the entire center with all of his BS! He claims he is a " Union Man" thru and thru but he is the biggest RAT I have ever met - no wonder why MGT likes to keep him around! Justice can not be served soon enough for this belly crawler!

-Bug-

UPS Lifer

While I did not take any offense to your post what-so-ever, I will have to admit that if not for portrayal of Jewish mothers in tv and movies, I wouldn't know what your comment meant either! Billy Crystal comes to mind when I think of "Jewish guilt". There's just not alot of Jewish people in the rural midwest! I think the only Jewish people I have ever knowingly known, (does that make sense?), owned a furniture store I worked at in St. Louis before I started driving.

Point well taken! My Chicago roots and the diversity of the California and the LA area have given me an opportunity to grow up with and get to know a lot of different cultures.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
helen

not active, just passive. sometimes they call me for advice, other times just to talk. still eat lunch when i am in town with the guys when i get the chance. except now. i dont get a whole hour.....

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Based on your arrogant answers so far I think I can make a fair evaluation of where you stand UPS Lifer! Continue to be Unpoltically correct - you alone might be able to change the world to your point of view! GOOD LUCK!

Billy Bob, Lifer has more life experience and integrity in the tip of his little finger that you have in your whole body. It would serve you well to read some of his posts--you may actually learn something.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I think that the employee in question should get a nice long month vacation without pay, and if it happens again.... Goodbye. I still remember my attitude correction. You buckle the damn seatbelt, even if you move the car 10 feet. I didn't one time, got caught moving the car off the wall 10 feet so I could pretrip it. It cost me a days pay, and the worst 24 hours of my life. Guess what? I buckle the seat beat now, even when I am just sitting in the seat doing paperwork.

Treegrower

You people that continue to talk about harrasment for being over need to learn a thing or two. NO DRIVER HAS EVER BEEN SUSPENDED OR DISCHARGED FOR BEING OVER ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Technically true, but many a driver has been suspeneded or discharged by their ctr. mgr for failure to follow instructions. For example, after a 3 day ojs, ctr. mgr INSTRUCTS employee to walk faster or must get to "X" amount of stops per hr. The next day when said driver fails to meet production quota--BAM -fired. Of course he gets his job back, it was pure production harrassment. Plain and simple, but still it happens.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
ny

[It would serve you well to read some of his posts--you may actually learn something. /QUOTE]

he does read.

but remember, its reading comprehension that allows you to read and understand. and that is where billy bob has his disconnect.

and for giving us a shining example of what a jerk looks like, i lit him up for christmas.......

the particular case i was making reference to, the no longer employed driver was a shop steward, one that thought he knew everything better than every one else. even the guys at the union. and it was that attitude, and where he demanded to run his case his way, that paved the way for the dismissal. production was a side issue, but was mentioned as the starting point to get the ball rolling on his insistence to self destruct.

d