Dhydratd

I have an idea to help with the volume. Pay a resident a nominal fee to sign for and hold packages for the entire neighborhood. Make them apply sort of like an Uber driver, give them $50 a week and then drop off the entire neighborhood of packages there.
Your screen name suits you.

Dumbo

Id allow someones trampoline in my house for a day for $50 a week. They could even 1099 the residents as contractors and you could write off a room in your house as a home office.

GenericUsername

In our center we do the shuttling of extra stops as well as having the pod on area. The guys who drop off for the golf carts will also use the back half of the pod for their 7/8000 section to clean up their truck a little bit - lucky bastards. We have a few guys who live on their routes who, with approval, drop off their resis (the stuff after their house) in their garage to make room. Then there's other guys who are dispatched 120 stops or so who bail out pods and other drivers after their route/lunch are done. It's not the best system but it's been working for us.

xmute

Unfortunately my center dropped the ball. We don't have any pods in my area this year and they talked about dropping off a rental in a parking lot but they have any one to take it due to lack of staffing.

Last edited:

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Id allow someones trampoline in my house for a day for $50 a week. They could even 1099 the residents as contractors and you could write off a room in your house as a home office.
That's cool and all, but no one is going to want their trampoline or bed or couch at your house.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
on Friday dispatcher thought of this new idea put 330 stops 550 pieces and only use 4 hins.. 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000.on a route that only can do about 180 stops. only did 130 stops it was wonderful ...

24993251_10208665403787139_1167091996059214015_n.jpg

xmute

I have a better idea. Set up little mobile access points! We'll still handle the big trampoline, beds, desks but when it comes to baggies and smalls my truck just gets floated with them. If we could eliminate those I'd be happy.

Dumbo

Yep our rental trucks only have 1000-4000 HINS.

Even better was one day last week the entire truck was all 4900-4999 HIN with 500 pieces.

Dumbo

Also they should be separating irregs and pickups from regular PC. Designate cut drivers to use the rentals or box trucks and only run irregs all day, and then do pickups in the afternoon.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have an idea to help with the volume. Pay a resident a nominal fee to sign for and hold packages for the entire neighborhood. Make them apply sort of like an Uber driver, give them $50 a week and then drop off the entire neighborhood of packages there.
They you will get 1900 stops on your truck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We get paid by the hour. You want to fill me up? No problem, I will get the work off slower. After 12 hours, I get ready to bring work back.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Ever heard of zoning laws

Dumbo

Ever heard of zoning laws

Zoning laws wouldn't apply for private independent contractors not running an LLC or being used for commerical business. I owned and sold an LLC where I hired employees and contractors and I have a degree in business management, so, yes, I know about zoning laws.

Similar to how multi level marketing businesses can have their "employees" aka contractors having sale parties out of their homes, if that helps put it into perspective.

Last edited:

MC0493

I went through being blown out everyday last year. This year while my center dropped the ball on some stuff, i'll give them credit on splitting loads for alot of routes. Half gets loaded in your truck in the morning, the other half goes into a rental with other peoples work. You finish the first half and then reload the truck in the afternoon. Reloading sucks but i'd rather run 2 clean, organized, easy to work in loads than one bricked out pile of crap.

MrBates

Let me start off by saying that I'm a fairly new driver. This is my second peak that I've been a part of. With that being said, it mind boggles me how a company of this satire can be so ran so poorly. It's like they don't even try when it comes to peak. Yet the boast about delivering boxes for 110 years but they don't learn from past years.

Everyday when I come in my peak route is blown up with 250 stops and 400+ pieces in a little diesel. I keep telling them they can cram as much stuff as they want in my truck as they want but if i can't find it what's the point? How come they don't understand that productivity goes way down when they do this. They pay me for 14 hours a day and I'm lucky to get 170 stops done due to this. It's super frustrating that we are given a pile of :censored2: that we can't work with and at the end of the day it's still a pile of :censored2:. Am I alone on this or am I the idiot here?

What's so hard to get?

The problem is that we are one of the few businesses who gets paid upfront even before the job is done. Since the company gets paid up front its very hard to care about quality. At this point management only cares about volume. Cram as much as you can in the package car and get it delivered. Claims against non delivery and damaged packages are easy to handle because most packages are insured up to $100, and if a package ends up damaged, we have a team of lawyers that made sure the fine print has a quote regarding the responsibility of the customer to properly pack their shipment.

Management will always take volume over quality any day because that's how their bonuses are structured.