What's the REAL tattoo policy? Does anyone know?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by boxhandler, Mar 11, 2014.

1. boxhandler

boxhandler New Member

What is the real policy with visible tattoos? I can't find in my Nor Cal contract where it says no tattoos visible. I have been driving almost 8 years now and they are now saying I have to wear pants to cover the ink on my calves that I've had for 10 years. Nothing offensive either. They are my boys names. Personally I feel judged and discriminated. I know not everyone likes tattoos but really, I've cut down on my backing and follow Orion. Can't we just be left alone to do our job?

Everyone has an opinion. Like it or not this is mine.

2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

So, for 8 years your tats weren't an issue and now they are? Smells like harassment to me....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Your not going to find anything about Tattoos in the contract...

Has you management team changed recently.....

The policy about tattoo's and appearance standards varies by location well at least the enforcement of the set standards varies. In some place you can get away with things and other you can't it all comes down to your management team....

4. boxhandler

boxhandler New Member

No same team for since I started.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I would think you would be grandfathered in but if they are telling you to cover 'em up then cover 'em up.

Sent using BrownCafe App

6. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Must be covered from what I've heard. But inforcement is another story.

7. HomeDelivery

HomeDelivery Well-Known Member

8. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

In Article 58 of the National Master: "It is agreed that employees must strictly comply with the Employer's regulations concerning personal grooming and appearance and the wearing of uniforms and accessories."

So it's whatever UPS says its regulations are. Maybe the regulations changed recently. Maybe there's been lax enforcement at your location in the past.

9. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

the "appearance standards" tab pulls up a blank screen on upsers...

10. Rainman

Rainman Its all good.

Always had to be covered where I am...drivers wear long sleeve shirts all year long if tattoos are on their arms. I know a couple who have to.

Sent using BrownCafe App

11. boxhandler

boxhandler New Member

12. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

I wear long pants, (no tattoos); it won't kill you.

13. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I just keep a picture of my kids in my wallet.

14. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

15. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

Nope

16. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

^but what if it does??? Then won't you feel like crap!!

17. boxhandler

boxhandler New Member

Everyone is different. Long pants are very uncomfortable for me to work in. I've worked delivery for a total of 15 years always in shorts. When it rains my legs dry faster than pant legs. And when our temperatures hit 110 I'm not "as" miserable.

18. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

You made a choice to get the tattoos. Now you may have to accommodate an employer who is making a choice.

I wear big boy pants, I have a big boy haircut, and I show up clean-shaven everyday. No tattoos, and no desire for trendy facial hair; guess I'm just a vanilla type of normal.

19. boxhandler

boxhandler New Member

And I'm not judging you on that. I was asking about policy. I'm glad I got you opinion though. Thank you. Btw Vanilla ice cream is my favorite.

20. brownburro

brownburro Member

Tattoos aren't for everyone. I get it. The fact is 40% of the population have them nowadays. UPS preaches safety and "Cool Solutions", here in Norcal summers stay over 95 degrees for four months straight. Walking around in long pants or sleeves for ten hours a day seems to be in direct contrast to the safety standards. And for what?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List