When is it time to give up?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I haven't met anybody yet who has retired that didn't get a job of some kind just for the fact of being board and getting fat:happy2:. Good luck with whatever you decide DS, I too think as you do sometimes. I am close to feeders(after 20+ years) but not there yet and 22.3 jobs are not bid anymore (at least here).
Hubby left in 2000. Hasn't worked outside the home since. Golfs 4 days a week. Has a honey-do list to keep him busy.
Never bored here. Married 45 years coming Sept.

Bad Gas!

DS... Good luck.. All of us above 40 with more than 20 years in try to have an exit Strategy. I have 30 in at age 53.. I think one of my knees or back will knock me out soon. We cant buy co. health insuance until 55 years old in the south. It supposed to be better at 57..But with new contract in 2013, things could get worse for us..

Try to keep plugging away. Spread you option days out. Take some unpaid days. Vacation weeks are coing as well.Always look for a better route for the next bid. Some bulkyp 1200 routes are better than long P700 routes now.. check the IR to see which routes plan better as well and you know who is running them so you will know if they are lunch skippers....good luck..gas

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have considered getting a job as a school bus driver when I turn 50 and qualify for PEER 80. Its not physically demanding, you dont work weekends, and you get the summer off. My uncle did it for awhile when he retired, it worked great for him because during the spring and fall when the weather was decent he would get up and do his morning run, and then spend the middle of the day playing golf before school let out and it was time for the evening run. His teaching pension paid the bills, and the money he made driving the school bus paid for his golf and his summer vacations.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have considered getting a job as a school bus driver when I turn 50 and qualify for PEER 80. Its not physically demanding, you dont work weekends, and you get the summer off. My uncle did it for awhile when he retired, it worked great for him because during the spring and fall when the weather was decent he would get up and do his morning run, and then spend the middle of the day playing golf before school let out and it was time for the evening run. His teaching pension paid the bills, and the money he made driving the school bus paid for his golf and his summer vacations.

School bus made me think of a ? Do they have seatbelts in those things yet? I wouldn't want to drive one without them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Better people than me. Maintaining order on buses full of todays children is a challenge.

The buses in my school district all have video cameras installed that record what goes on in the back of the bus. All the driver has to do if a kid is acting up is turn the bus around, drive back to the school, and let the principal deal with it based upon what the camera recorded. Another trick the bus drivers use is to just pull over and park if the kids get out of hand, eventually the ones who arent misbehaving will correct the behavior of the ones who are because they want to get home.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Klein was terminated in a Boston Pizza for drinking on the job.
The sup went out of his way to drive there and fire him for taking his lunch.
He does basically nothing.He posts a lot of Canadian propoganda and knows all the best sites for deals on flights and cat food.

I lol'd

You can always try becoming a shop steward/ driver, then start complaining about your conditions and threaten to file. Or you could just start doing that anyways. Another is to join the safety team, they get it real good man.

A lot of it is mind over matter, shut your emotions and thoughts down that plauge your mind. To never panic or have concerning thoughts over cardboard.

texan

The buses in my school district all have video cameras installed that record what goes on in the back of the bus. All the driver has to do if a kid is acting up is turn the bus around, drive back to the school, and let the principal deal with it based upon what the camera recorded. Another trick the bus drivers use is to just pull over and park if the kids get out of hand, eventually the ones who arent misbehaving will correct the behavior of the ones who are because they want to get home.

Never heard that, but an excellent plan.

P

pickup

I have often seen people with their own hot dog carts on the side of the road as well as special events. But I have no idea what it takes to do that and even if I did, the regulations would be surely different in Canada.

If only you knew someone in Canada who runs a hot dog cart, then maybe you could get some good advice. :bag:

klein

Für Meno :)
MY brother just composed a song, and I did the lyrics. Because it has kicks !
I really think this song will become famous, - wait until hockey play-off time and we'll release it !

What ever happen to the days of the "Brake check" method of getting kids to behave?

satellitedriver

MY brother just composed a song, and I did the lyrics. Because it has kicks !
I really think this song will become famous, - wait until hockey play-off time and we'll release it !
"Dead Dog Blues"?
"All Pucked Up"?

At least share some, of the soon to be famous, lyrics.

bluehdmc

School bus made me think of a ? Do they have seatbelts in those things yet? I wouldn't want to drive one without them.

Yes they do, try getting the kids to use them though.

Even with cameras it can be tough, I've seen parents deny it was their kid on the bus and your supervisors will say you "can't maintain order on the bus".
The cameras also protect the driver against false accusations.

What ever happen to the days of the "Brake check" method of getting kids to behave?

Try that with the cameras and have one kid get hurt. You'll be looking for another job.

I drove a school bus for a few years, a driving feeders is easier. When I drove the school bus it was the exception when someone didn't drive thru the lights when I was making a stop.

I was hired off the street 21 years ago as a driver.I was 35 at the time,and although it was never easy,
I fought through it to this point.Every Friday when I get home I wonder how long my body can take this crap.
Although I can retire with full pension(to date) I really can't afford it.
What are my options for finding an income if I do?
Only about 20k saved up,which I know is nothing really.
Advice,ideas,rebuffs...give 'em to me, I'm getting too old for it.
First of all good buddy 56 is the new 46. So if you can get you're full pension & start over and do something that is more enjoyable at least you can supplement your income. The reason I say 56 is the new 46 is because you and people are living longer and being a man ( a still very young man) a new challenge might be something that could re invigorate you and challenge the man you still are.