Where are all the millennials??

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
Ever since I got to become white-collar I noticed in the few UPS bldgs I have been to that there are practically no millennials. I do see a good amount of Gen Zers here and there but with regards to millennials, they are practically non-existant in the office!
Whats going on with the millennials?? its not that bad working at UPS :sailor:. Anyone got any insight on this?

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
Ever since I got to become white-collar I noticed in the few UPS bldgs I have been to that there are practically no millennials. I do see a good amount of Gen Zers here and there but with regards to millennials, they are practically non-existant in the office!
Whats going on with the millennials?? its not that bad working at UPS :sailor:. Anyone got any insight on this?
Cut our penises off

It's called hard labor

PoirotAtUPS

What buildings are you in? UPS is huge and other than the ‘silent generation’ (they all retired rich) every generation has some representation.

Commercial Inside Release

38% of millennials have degrees... The highest percentage per generation, ever. College was more affordable back then, and the US mantra at the time was blue collar & manual labor was for the Mexicans, Chinese, and Indians.

Some of it is also peer pressure... If half your peers have degrees & office jobs, you probably would try office work, too.

Of course, the Bush administration was also threatening to reinstate the draft after 9\11... College has always been a refuge for draft dodgers. (Just an amusing theory.)

Oh yeah, and I would also add that Gen Z saw that degrees lose their value, when everyone has one... So, less of them attended college. Now there are more avenues for employment like gigwork, that didn't exist back then.

Last edited:

Hot Carl

38% of millennials have degrees... The highest percentage per generation, ever. College was more affordable back then, and the US mantra at the time was blue collar & manual labor was for the Mexicans, Chinese, and Indians.

Some of it is also peer pressure... If half your peers have degrees & office jobs, you probably would try office work, too.

Of course, the Bush administration was also threatening to reinstate the draft after 9\11... College has always been a refuge for draft dodgers. (Just an amusing theory.)

Oh yeah, and I would also add that Gen Z saw that degrees lose their value, when everyone has one... So, less of them attended college. Now there are more avenues for employment like gigwork, that didn't exist back then.
I'm one of those millennials with a degree. Stuck it out, finished up my business marketing degree, and stepped out into a pretty :censored2:ty job market. And here I am driving a truck and throwing boxes, out-earning quite a few of my friends, though not all of them.

DriverNerd

Considering millennials are 25-40 now (plus or minus a couple years), that's a good chunk of our package car and feeder drivers. I do see a lot less working in the hubs though. They seem to either go driving or can't hack the labor and find a job somewhere else.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Feels like the Obama influenced era where you are floating on a cloud of optimism. Older folks did not need that message, younger folks reject it entirely. Most everybody, almost me actually, fell into the funnel of going to college for a STEM degree and finding computer work that you could do at a coffee shop at times, I was almost hired on for the home depot self-checkout and inventory system (that project went on to be successful and blows orion/diad6 out of the water in terms of competence)

Last edited:

Over70irregs

Are you saying the ship from Star Wars!!!
1692162054629.png

Philipjfry

I’m a millennial. I assumed at some point I would just wind up with a good paying job with minimal effort (I’m being serious)
Took me 5 years to get a 2 year degree from community college (didn’t care about school, would rather go to work and party with my friends at actual colleges).
Bounced around from dead end job to dead end job until realizing after working a peak as a casual 2 years after the fact that this was my way out.
I hate this place with a passion most times. But without it I’d probably be cleaning swimming pools in the summer and working at that pizza place I was delivering at during community college and going nowhere in life.
I feel like I have an actual career, and I can respect myself for getting up and going to work everyday. It made me hate myself a lot less.
With 8 months to go until top rate, graduation is finally right around the corner. This time I’ll have something to show for it. 😀

Cowboy Mac

The millennials have been here long enough now that they all look like Baby Boomers. Gen Z still look fresh because their bodies haven’t had time to break down yet.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I’m a millennial. I assumed at some point I would just wind up with a good paying job with minimal effort (I’m being serious)
Took me 5 years to get a 2 year degree from community college (didn’t care about school, would rather go to work and party with my friends at actual colleges).
Bounced around from dead end job to dead end job until realizing after working a peak as a casual 2 years after the fact that this was my way out.
I hate this place with a passion most times. But without it I’d probably be cleaning swimming pools in the summer and working at that pizza place I was delivering at during community college and going nowhere in life.
I feel like I have an actual career, and I can respect myself for getting up and going to work everyday. It made me hate myself a lot less.
With 8 months to go until top rate, graduation is finally right around the corner. This time I’ll have something to show for it. 😀
I top out in less than a month and im buying a gosh darn Lamborghini I don’t care