Which path to take?

Maple7

So all of this is kind of overwhelming but maybe you guys can shed some light on it for me. I have been a seasonal driver for almost a month now and really want to make UPS my career I just know its hard to get on FT ....especially off the street. I graduated college a few years ago and have two good years driving at Fedex. Management told me that they have a handful of seasonal drivers and are gonna have to hire one FT after peak. Of course I'm going out there and trying to safely bust my ***** every day. Recently the manager told my if I keep it up he will make good things happen.

Since then I have continued to give it my all so he again approached me and said he wants me as a on-road supervisor for the start of 2012. I appreciate his vote of confidence but don't really get why. I'm only 26 and have like 20 days on the job. I know damn well that there are plenty of people in that big hub that also have degrees and a great work ethic. So why me? I was never good in school but got by, mediocre public speaker and don't have the best UPS knowledge in the world so whats in this for him? I know right from wrong and have a tremendous work ethic and a good head on my shoulders but that's it, nothing fancy and no track record inside the company.

If it was up to me I would like to drive for awhile first. Get better area knowledge and knowledge of the company as well. It also sounds like its easier going from driver to supervisor then the other way around. Plus I enjoy driving, its challenging but fun.

So what do you make of this? Does he see me as a good employee and wants to get me on but maybe use that outside hire on another driver? Is there something else going on? Also what does a on road sup make starting out?

Thanks for any insight and pointers:) I know you guys are the best source of knowledge and guidance around. Whatever happens I well be very honored to have any FT job at UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is his way of telling you that you will not be hired as a perm driver.

That is a very probability assessment of the situation.
Driver positions may actually be decreasing over the next few years as Ground volume continues to shrink.
Also be aware that 6 out of 7 driver positions will be filled with Inside Union employees.
If you are offered the friend/T Sup position next year, you should very strongly considered it.

Its your choice though ... not mine or anyone else offering you "advice".

barnyard

KTM rider
Driver positions may actually be decreasing over the next few years as Ground volume continues to shrink.

In our center, PAS/EDD implementation and the 'efficiency gains' cost us 6 routes. Volume has to increase enough for 6 more routes or we have to lose 6 drivers through attrition before we will add another FT employee.

I would imagine that to a certain extent, it is the same in almost every center in the US.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You have been driving for a month and will have two months under your belt when Peak is over. Peak driving is much more intense than any other time of year so if you are able to make it through Peak carrying your own weight you will have gained the respect of your co-workers.

My on-car was a 15 yr driver when he accepted the promotion. He did lose money at first but has more than made up for the loss since then, putting 3 kids through college and walking one down the aisle thanks in part to his stock options.

The decision is yours but if I had to do it all over again and were given the opportunity that you are being given I would take it in a second.

Southwestern

LOL... It's obvious you haven't worked for UPS long. Otherwise, you'd realize this is the company of meaningless promises; a company in which you're the hero one day, and a villain the next.

friend/T management involves a grueling panel interview in which you're quizzed about numerous decisions & experiences you've had at UPS. Generally, an ideal candidate has somewhat of a background within the company, so that they can be certain the person they're hiring is 'one of them.' This is especially true for driver sups!!!

UPS has been consolidating and slashing management ranks over the past three years. In my center alone, dozens of employees -- both P/T and friend/T -- have applications in for friend/T management. Every day for several years they've reminded the P/T sups that they operate one of the best preloads in the country, that they're going places...

It's nice to receive the accolades and maybe you'll be a friend/T sup after the holidays. But don't be surprised if you receive merely a handshake, or an offer to be a P/T package handler making $8.50 an hour (with promises of a better future, of course). :)

Johney

The real reason they want you for friend/T on-road sup right away is because you are young and naive to the world of UPS.They can mold you and turn you into exactly the type of sup "they" want you to be. You have a degree which they want now a days. Look, if they offer you a full time position take it(not that I would at this point in my career)but it is a full time job,(those are hard to come by now a days)it is with a well known company and would look good on a resume if down the road you decide your tired of selling your soul to the devil. Sure there are more people who work in the hub who are more qualified but it's hard to get anyone with more than 10 years to look for full-time management(at least where I work). Good luck whatever you decide.

Southwestern

The real reason they want you for friend/T on-road sup right away is because you are young and naive to the world of UPS.They can mold you and turn you into exactly the type of sup "they" want you to be.

I like your logic -- it's the explanation for why many police academies consider the "ideal" candidate to be 18-21 -- but if I were the OP, I'd be skeptical. friend/T promotions require a grueling panel interview (not to mention that the new MAPP gives HR more involvement). And most driver sups begin their management career in a center other than the one they previously worked. As the OP previously stated he's from Chicago, I'd imagine that there are hundreds of P/T and friend/T employees with a letter on file to move into management. Ultimately, it may be a ploy to boost the OP's peak season production.

Of course, continually brags about how over-qualified for the position he is... I mean, come on, he's the only recent college graduate who's unable to find a "real" job and thus sought employment with UPS, right ;) . Maybe Fantasyland isn't just at Disney.

Johney

I like your logic -- it's the explanation for why many police academies consider the "ideal" candidate to be 18-21 -- but if I were the OP, I'd be skeptical. friend/T promotions require a grueling panel interview (not to mention that the new MAPP gives HR more involvement). And most driver sups begin their management career in a center other than the one they previously worked. As the OP previously stated he's from Chicago, I'd imagine that there are hundreds of P/T and friend/T employees with a letter on file to move into management. Ultimately, it may be a ploy to boost the OP's peak season production.

Of course, continually brags about how over-qualified for the position he is... I mean, come on, he's the only recent college graduate who's unable to find a "real" job and thus sought employment with UPS, right ;) . Maybe Fantasyland isn't just at Disney.
Thank you. I know of the grueling process for full-time management,not personally but I have friends I've known for years who turned to the dark side and wouldn't lie to me. Although I don't know how promotion works in your area and I'm sure it's different everywhere, most of our recent full-time sups were promoted from our center and continue to work there,which for me would be hard. I'd much rather be promoted and go to another center/hub where I don't know anyone.