Why even have a contract?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by notsospecific, Oct 7, 2016.

1. text deleted per op's request

• Derail Derail x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
    Lasted edited by : Oct 8, 2016
  2. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Grow some balls and grieve it

So what if it puts a target on your back

Show up do your job go home

3. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

At the end of the day, the union isn't Jim Hoffa, Kenny H., or even your business agent. You are the union -- if you're afraid of filing a grievance to protect your rights, then the contract isn't worth the paper its printed on.

That being said, the company can use "emergency conditions" or "Acts of God" to circumvent some things in the CBA due to previous panel decisions or agreements. But you can flip that around on them the same way -- there's no way in hell I'd show up to work preload in an area being hit by a Category 4 hurricane.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  4. rod

rod retired and happy

Is the contract still full of "Act of God" clauses that over-ride everything else? Mathew just might be classified as an act of god and guaranteed hours might not apply in this case.

5. Next time, just call off.
    They should be grateful that anyone even showed up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Yes. And yes this falls under it. I wanted to work yeaterday but it was a no go

To the OP. You come on here to complain about the union but don't intend to do anything proactive it. If you steward sucks, become one yourself and try to push him out

You not filing the grievance just adds to the problem. File it. Stand up for yourself

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

I'm glad all my stewards have vendettas against UPS. Just tell them UPS is screwing you and the next day they have 3 or 4 grievances ready to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Mr.nobody

Mr.nobody Member

How do you become a stewert?

9. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

you said you did not want a target on your back.

go work somewhere else if you don't want to stick up for yourself. get tired of whiners that want to rant against the company, against the union , against everything except for their own shortfalls.

10. dookie stain

dookie stain Well-Known Member

Take off your sisters jeans and grieve it.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The first step is to spell the word right.

To the OP-----if you were told to come in at your regular time you are guaranteed your 3.5.

Grieve it.

12. NotClearing

NotClearing New Member

Stuart

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. Tired Driver

Tired Driver Sisyphus had it easy.

I proudly wear the target on my back. When other drivers complain, I always ask if they grieved it.

14. NotClearing

NotClearing New Member

Okay sorry, Stewart

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  15. Steward

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Don't worry. Your union guys will be around come the next election.

17. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

s
    stew-wad

18. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

Several years ago there was a winter storm bearing down in our area. We (drivers) were told to come in as they were not suspending operations. Once we were there it was clear it was up in the air whether we were going to be sent out. Stewards told us to clock in while management decided whether to send us out.

After our schedule start time they decided to suspend operations. UPS would not pay us our 8 guarantee. Everyone that clocked in eventually got paid when grievances were heard. Took a long time, but we got paid. Easiest day I ever had at UPS.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The rule of thumb is if they call you before your shift telling you to stay home you would have to burn a day if you want to get paid. If they make you come in you are entitled to your daily guarantee. You may have to file a grievance in order to get paid.

20. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

I don't think management messes around with the stewards too much. At least not here