Why I give... (Un Way)

Overpaid Union Thug

I haven't given to United Way through UPS in years. But........ I have to watch my check at the beginning of the year every year to make sure that I wasn't signed up for it without my knowledge. Now isn't that just pathetic?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
When part of YOUR paycheck gets "donated" to the UW without your written permission....see how quick you still are to donate money through UPS.
Idgaf if it's a quarter or a dollar.....I earned it and I decide how it's spent!

That has never happened to me, but I voluntarily give from the start, so.....

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
apparently
You do realize there are other charities and organizations that need donations? I donate blood, donate food to a local food bank, and a percentage of all the stuff I order on Amazon (i do lots of shopping on there...I love Amazon prime) goes to Gigi's playhouse.... a nonprofit organization for children with Down's syndrome.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The part about someone making $90K/year bitching about a one time donation of $1.

I'm not a fan of the UW or the way ups pushes it. There are way better charities and organizations that you can donate to where your money actually goes further in helping others.

The only reason I donate now and it's a small amount each time, is because I get along with my ORS/center manager.

Yes nobody will miss a dollar or even five a week. But people should have the complete say on their money and not be pressured into it by guilt or other tactics.

We prefer to give to pediatric cancer research.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I give through UW as it allows me to be more generous than if I were forced to make a one time lump dum donation.

If this were the military we wouldn't be having this discussion. 100% participation is mandatory---no questions asked.

The "PP kills babies" argument is a cop out. Abortions are less than 3% of all that they do.

Future

Victory Ride
I give through UW as it allows me to be more generous than if I were forced to make a one time lump dum donation.

If this were the military we wouldn't be having this discussion. 100% participation is mandatory---no questions asked.

The "PP kills babies" argument is a cop out. Abortions are less than 3% of all that they do.
Did you ever see how much is actually given to the UW.....pennys on the dollar ...wasted on administrative Bs

Overpaid Union Thug

Which part?
Anyone with any sense would know it was the second part.

The part about someone making $90K/year bitching about a one time donation of $1.
Well, that definitely isn't me. Because it doesn't matter how much money I make. It is up to me whether or not I want to give some of it to someone else. It has nothing to do with trying to impress others or being pressured to by my employer. Nor will I do it just to take advantage of the tax benefits like many do. And those people typically could care less about what the money is going for. Because the real motive for them is the tax deduction.
So did I, until a one time donation magically became a 52 week donation. Now I'll give nothing and they can like it.
I don't give to the United Way for many reasons. Some of which are exactly what you said. Those are pretty big reasons. Along with the fact that they do kick money over to Planned Parenthood.

Another biggie is the fact that UPS has traditionally pressured the hell out of people to give. And it has nothing to do with sincere motives to give. It is 100% driven buy a corporate metric that is intended to produce a result that can be bragged about to the general public. And the methods I have seen to accomplish this, such as high pressure tactics and borderline harassment, alone we're enough to make me decide to never help UPS out on this issue again. Ever.