Will we go on strike if contract is voted down

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by FIST, Nov 10, 2007.

1. FIST

FIST Leanitus

Is it possible that UPS is dum enough to risk a strike if this contract is voted down?

2. browned out

browned out Active Member

No way. They just authorized a 2 billion dollar stock buy back. If we get an improved offer; maybe they only will be able to buy back a billion dollars worth of stock. This offer is so bad the next offer will still save them a ton of money.

3. #1angelfan

#1angelfan New Member

we would have to vote on a strike. i do not think people will vote to strike.

4. Brown Dog

Brown Dog Brown since 81

There's no need to strike. That's why you start negotiating early. There's more than 9 months left on this contract. More than enough time to actually improve over 9.5 language, protect 8 hour req, and increase pension benefits that have lost 60% of their buying power since 1997. For a company like UPS that has made over 1 BILLION dollars in PROFIT for every 3 months for the last 2 years, I think it won't be very hard for them to come up with a more appropriate offer.:cool: You can't believe they would give their best offer first do you?

5. tieguy

tieguy Banned

UPS always has buy backs going on.

The more i think about it the more I'm hoping you folks vote down the offer so I can get my 6 billion back.

6. browned out

The 6 billion is an investment that will pay for itself in spades.

If the 6 billion was going to hurt UPS and it share holders; Do you think they still would be buying back the 2 billion dollars worth of stock? You buy back stock because you believe it is undervalued.

I this contract passes; watch UPS keep buying back billions worth and if the stock price still is stagnant; watch em take it back private.

7. tieguy

tieguy Banned

8. browned out

9. tieguy

tieguy Banned

define "dum"

10. browned out

dum: same as stoopid, mooranic or UPS management

11. tieguy

tieguy Banned

Oh. Excellent. You must have a lot of management in your family then.

12. chevyman

chevyman Member

Roflmaotie

13. Cezanne

Cezanne New Member

Let us quit this stupid talk, there will be no strike if this contract is voted down. Does anybody remember the current contract does not expire till 1 August 2008. That 6 billion withdraw liability buyout is a done deal between the Central States trust and UPS, what came first the chicken or the egg, think about it. If UPS wants to continue to remain in the Central States trust after January "08" the liability price tag goes up, how much who knows, they have professionals that figure that stuff out.

Also try to remember that it is the Feds that will stepping in if this issue is not resolved, and I am guessing both the company and the union does not want them snooping around in their dealings over this pension and health and welfare fiasco.

14. VTBrown

VTBrown Member

Err.....the point he was making is that it is "dumb" not "dum".

Dum is lazy slang for a lollipop.

15. tieguy

tieguy Banned

not trying to scare anyone but when it gets to the point where the feds step in, permanent damage will have been done to our business.

16. 2Slow

2Slow Member

This is the real power of the Union. Give us a fair deal or we will damage the business. Should we want to put UPS out of business? No, that would be stupid. But those of us with the time know that UPS does not give their best offer first, ever.

Let the Feds step in I say....

I voted no. If it comes to a strike vote, I will vote yes.

17. diesel96

diesel96 New Member

It's amazing, what ever happened to "lets protect and improve our part time brothers".....You do realize the attitude shared by the author of this thread is throwing the lower senority part timers under the bus. A "no vote" and the threat of a strike looming is just what the doctor ordered for our competitors who are salivating at the opportunity and are more capable of handling UPS volume than in 97'. And a volume decrease equals layoffs and Zero progression for those expecting to move into full time positions.Then you turn to them and ask them to vote for their own damnation.

18. tieguy

tieguy Banned

If you think you are somehow immune to the consequences of a strike then you really are too slow.

19. 2Slow

2Slow Member

None of us have immunity, not one.

However,
    Labor relations in general and strikes in particular are a very high stakes game of chicken...
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I'll play chicken if it comes to it.

UPS did not give us the best offer they knew they could afford.
    10 years ago, we struck, and then got a much better contract than their "take it or leave it" offer. Have they made money in the last 10 years?

Bring on the Chicken!

20. dcdriver

dcdriver nations capital

if voted down, ups will offer signing bonus $1000 ft $500 pt $$ then the pt will vote yes contract will pass then pt will always take the money they only make $8 and hour to start.