Will we strike in 2013

C

chitterling

With the current environment of forced overtime and no respect for workers
is a strike coming?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Nope. Union hierarchy has as much interest in striking as they do in fixing the problems such as lunches, 9.5, harassment, and the like.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
No. The company is raking in record profits, and when they cry poverty and point to places like Verizon, Hoffa will give some stuff back and we'll all be on our merry way. Even still, do yourself the favor of taking vacation the first two weeks of August of next year. Atleast you'll get a few checks if we strike.

rod

Retired 22 years
If I recall right everyone thought they wouldn't go on strike the last time. Remember---- once you authorize the Union to strike it is out of your hands. Personally I was never afraid of a strike as I always had enough to tide me over (and my wife had a good paying Union job). I went through 2 strikes and lived to tell about it. It isn't the end of the world ---if you are prepared. Don't fall for that "Last-Best and Final offer BS.

CAFAL

There will be no strike. The union will get what they want for themselves during the closed door meetings. We will get a fraction of what we should,while the will get most of what they want. Its terrible how the union has mismanaged our pensions to the point of having to beg ups for money,or sell it to them. We will be lucky to get to keep what we jave. Record profits? There is a reason for the major acquisition happening this year,in cash.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
There will be no strike. The union will get what they want for themselves during the closed door meetings. We will get a fraction of what we should,while the will get most of what they want. Its terrible how the union has mismanaged our pensions to the point of having to beg ups for money,or sell it to them. We will be lucky to get to keep what we jave. Record profits? There is a reason for the major acquisition happening this year,in cash.

I think it depends on who is in the White House come 2013. If President Obama wins the election, and a Democratic administration is in control with at least one house of Congress, you guys will be better supported, like 1997 under Clinton.

If, however, Mr. Romney wins, and you wind up with a Labor Secretary like Mrs. Mitch McConnell, you are screwed. At that point, UPS goes a full ALEC on you, and will cheerfully take a strike to gut your health care, pension, and pay scale, knowing that the Dept. of Labor and the NLRB are wholly-owned subsidiaries of Koch Industries. They will tell you this is necessary due to the competitive pressure of FedEx going even farther down the road of screwing THEIR employees, blah, blah, blah.

For a preview, look at any state that has total GOP control, like Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana, not to mention the standard, Confederacy-based right to work states. You guys are one of the few private sector unions left that has anything resembling decent pay, benefits, and working conditions, such as they are. This means, in today's Ayn Randian bizarro world, you must be crushed, so that the "job creators" can enjoy the fruits of their hard work without sharing it with the "takers".

Bookmark this post, and we'll revisit it in September 2013. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

:strikesmileys::strikesmileys::strikesmileys::strikesmileys:

p.s. Almost forgot; expect to hear a lot about "Teamster Union Thugs" on Faux News. If Kindergarten teachers can be vilified as union thugs, imagine how much fun the right-wing Pravda will have with the TEAMSTERS!

Last edited: