Work shoes = boots? "Zero tolerance"

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have had many people who I know either through social circles or out in the real world excited about starting to work at ups " I hear they are a good outfit to work for"... I have heard that over and over and in most cases the said employees have been pretty disappointed with what they found here and didn't last long..lol.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@Bubblehead, just curious, but what do you disagree with?

(BTW, this thread is a year old.)
If my shoes were in compliance before this ludicris mandate, I promise you I would not change to boots.
Honestly, even if I didn't have any, I would likely buy a pair of low tops and dare them to send me home.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't know about you guys but my feet start hurting after wearing boots all day....they are just too heavy for the amount of walking we do...low tops are better imo

JL 0513

Ask to see if your center manager would like to walk 5-7 miles a day for 30 years in boots.

I won't wear anything but sneakers.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If your feet hurt after wearing boots, you didn't buy the right ones. I won't wear shoes without ankle support, I learned that lesson the hard way.

That being said, polishable brown or black leather meets the uniform requirement.... tell them to kiss off.

JL 0513

If your feet hurt after wearing boots, you didn't buy the right ones. I won't wear shoes without ankle support, I learned that lesson the hard way.

That being said, polishable brown or black leather meets the uniform requirement.... tell them to kiss off.

Even a good comfortable boot is still a good amount heavier and stiffer than a sneaker. I'm living on my feet so I'm going to be as comfortable as possible.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Even a good comfortable boot is still a good amount heavier and stiffer than a sneaker. I'm living on my feet so I'm going to be as comfortable as possible.
Yup definitely heavier. I liked being comfortable in my Nike ACG's until I hurt an ankle. Now I wear a boot with ankle support. To each his own, polishable leather meets the uniform requirement, even if it's a low top "sneaker".

Holydriver

Our center had a slip fall injury yesterday where a guy slipped on loose gravel and sprained his ankle. Today the center manager stated that there is going to be "zero tolerance" on work shoes. Starting tomorrow, we all have to wear boots, this seems pretty ridiculous, especially considering ~85% of us wear "tennis shoes".
So what exactly is the mandated type of shoe for drivers? I tried wearing boots my 1st 2 weeks of driving and absolutely hated them. Where do we stand as far as discipline and grievances? I didn't get a chance to talk with our SS this morning.
friend it man, wear your normal shoes and get sent home for the day. look at it as a RO but with a guarantee for yourself the day off.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If my shoes were in compliance before this ludicris mandate, I promise you I would not change to boots.
Honestly, even if I didn't have any, I would likely buy a pair of low tops and dare them to send me home.

I totally agree with you. But, you have time in. I had 34 years in. I would have (and did) tell them the same.

However, the OP seemed like a newer driver, at least he was a new member. Why make waves when just starting out?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I totally agree with you. But, you have time in. I had 34 years in. I would have (and did) tell them the same.

However, the OP seemed like a newer driver, at least he was a new member. Why make waves when just starting out?
They will push you as far as you let them, and I'm not sure what seniority has to do with drawing a line in the sand, once qualified.
The sooner they realize that you won't settle for any less than what you are entitled, the better off you will be.

I get what you're saying, but in hindsight, I wish had found my present day fortitude much earlier in my career at UPS.

Inthegame

Yup definitely heavier. I liked being comfortable in my Nike ACG's until I hurt an ankle. Now I wear a boot with ankle support. To each his own, polishable leather meets the uniform requirement, even if it's a low top "sneaker".
Too many BB ankle injuries for me. I wore high top boots every day for 34 years... and worked as fast as my boots would let me.

raceanoncr

My shoes in while in feeders for 32 years. Grip bottom, polish (well, the nails, anyway), lace up. All criteria met. Win-Win.

shoes.png