Working during vacation

yeldarb

IMO, just because everyone is working and there are routes sitting and guys on vacation are willing to come in for premium pay, does not mean they need to hire more drivers. For instance valentines day and the two days leading up to it, we were screwed. With the nature of the job, it is bound to happen. Then, feb. 15, back to layoffs.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Totally agree that would be wrong. I wish we did get to bid on open routes that way. I do not hold a bid route (by choice) so I would not be bumping someone off a route in any event.
Something you should pursue with your BA. We do it in AZ, and you are in the Western Region too.

DiadTribe

IMO, just because everyone is working and there are routes sitting and guys on vacation are willing to come in for premium pay, does not mean they need to hire more drivers. For instance valentines day and the two days leading up to it, we were screwed. With the nature of the job, it is bound to happen. Then, feb. 15, back to layoffs.
Valentines Day, before and after. A NEW PEAK SEASON! As is Mothers' Day. Christmas in July. These are "get it done no matter what" situations.
The driver did not mention this when asking the original question.

centinel

Hey guys..........I was wondering if someone could help. I am a 10 year employee and a 7 TCD, not full time yet but will be next any time now. I was on vacation this week but was called in to drive this morning because the center mgr. said they were severely short handed and basically begged me. I agreed and went in. So, because I drove during my vacation, am I entitled to a higher rate? Several other drivers seem to think so but I can't find it in the contract and can't reach my steward. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!

centinel

This is one of my severe pet peeves about UPS, having been burned in the past by them. I'll tell you what I tell ever rookie driver...

Never, ever, E-V-E-R answer your phone on vacation or on an authorized, pre-approved, earned day off (OPW, FHP).

It's your time and you earned it. Don't give up one second of it!

Let them figure out how to deal with it. If you get grief on the next workday, tell management that it's your earned time, and it's non-negotiable.

Just to cover my tail, I take a cell phone picture of our center's master calendar before time off with my name on it in case any management types try to pull any dodgy stuff.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This is one of my severe pet peeves about UPS, having been burned in the past by them. I'll tell you what I tell ever rookie driver...

Never, ever, E-V-E-R answer your phone on vacation or on an authorized, pre-approved, earned day off (OPW, FHP).

It's your time and you earned it. Don't give up one second of it!

Let them figure out how to deal with it. If you get grief on the next workday, tell management that it's your earned time, and it's non-negotiable.

Just to cover my tail, I take a cell phone picture of our center's master calendar before time off with my name on it in case any management types try to pull any dodgy stuff.
If they call me on vacation or day off I always answer because for them to do that it's usually something important. Once my center manager called me on vacation to let me know that a route I wanted was up for bid. They've never called me asking me to work.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why bring back the dead?
IMG_0586.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
There is nothing in the contract about working a vacation. If someone works their vacation and another person can show economic harm, it can be grieved.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We’re not allowed to work our vacations, outside of our option week. The union put an end to that years ago. However, they’ve been adding as many feeder drivers as they can train. And the feeder department has posted notices and called drivers that were going to be going on vacation the following week, asking if they wanted to work that week.

They’ve done this a handful of times. And they’re having a tough time getting guys to do it. What a surprise. We value our time off.