y do i feel like im being used as a drivers helper?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Look, even if you are with a driver who spends his time texting or whatever (and really I find that hard to believe), why do you care? You're getting paid by the hour, no? It's his job to get the route done, not yours. If it doesn't get done in a timely manner he's the one who has to answer for it, you just work for your 2.89 hours or whatever the plan is, clock out and go home.

UPSGUY72

Apparently neither of you bothered to read what I wrote, because nothing I wrote reflected that.

Helper are getting paid to do what there driver tells them to do. They don't get to pick and choose what they want to do or not do they don't have a vote. The driver could sit in the car all day and never get out. As long as he brings it home at a reasonable time management isn't going to say a word to him no matter if the helper calls and complains.

We drivers bust are ass all year if we make are helpers do a little physical work during peak why we do all the mental work so be it that called using your help so you can be more efficient not as a equal.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
because no one had said anything about their driver on the phone/ texting the WHOLE time with helper... hold up, that was YOU

No crap, dude. I said I can see why some helpers feel taken advantage of, and shared something that happened to me once.

Helper are getting paid to do what there driver tells them to do. They don't get to pick and choose what they want to do or not do they don't have a vote. The driver could sit in the car all day and never get out. As long as he brings it home at a reasonable time management isn't going to say a word to him no matter if the helper calls and complains.

We drivers bust are ass all year if we make are helpers do a little physical work during peak why we do all the mental work so be it that called using your help so you can be more efficient not as a equal.

LOL... suddenly the drivers are management????? I'm not one to run & cry to my boss about what my driver did or did not do -- a simple 'it did not go well, please place me with somebody else' works. But I KNOW drivers have been hauled in the office and lectured to due to helper complaints....

AKCoverMan

As others have said, every route, every center for that matter, is different.

Here in The Last Frontier..there are very few resi areas in which the method of dropping a helper off with a handcart full of stops and picking him back up after you go run some stops is at all practical. Most streets do not have paved sidewalks and running the handcart down the street in the dark is not safe plus with snow and ice bumps you usually end up dumping packages off the cart.

There are some tight neighborhoods where you can pull into one cul du sac and send the helper in one direction with a stop or two while the driver walks off one or two. But on some routes it can be a challenge to make the best use of a helper to get the day done. Some times it might be drop the helper at a stop and go next stop. Other times might be sorting the car, or turning the car around to head to next stop following helper delivery. Anything you can do to shave a few seconds off the day while the helper walks off that package.

When all is said and done there are going to be times when the car is all sorted, the next stop is ready, the next stop does not require a turn around, and it is not practical to go run another stop while the helper walks off the stop at hand. In these cases the helper is going to walk off the stop and I am going to sit and wait. I will watch the helper to see if he needs coaching on DR placement or safety but basically I am just sitting for a few seconds.

I don't think I am taking advantage. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The one thing I have noticed is the dramatic spike in the number of "Recording While Idling" infractions on the Telematics report. We had one driver who had 76 of them.

wayfair

swollen member
(Not in my center)

I say that jokingly.... the weeks before black friday, we were being scolded on the number of backs we had and that we needed to reduce them.... center manager was saying, " you guys act like you're looking for places to back"

I guess we'll hear soon enough after the 26th..

hitsomebody

That guy that wears brown
My helper has more stops in her board everyday. She's a 6 year pre-loader/air driver and my helper everyday for the past two peak seasons. I can turn her loose on one side of the block with a cart full of stops and go down to the next block. She either catches up at the end of the block or waits on the corner after I square the block off. She's quick, accurate, and also catches my mistakes when I screw up. She had 93 stops and 202 pcs.in her board when I dropped her off after 4 and a half hours, I had 29. Finished the day with a total of 171 stops and 417 pcs. Plus 37 pickups and 323 pcs. The day will be about a 9.8 with -50 under. Thats how I use my helper.

UPSGUY72

Helper and the driver are not equal. The helper should be doing most if not all of the Resi deliveries. If I'm out delivering package to houses who the hell is sorting the back of the car. If I'm out delivering packages who sitting in the drivers seat ready to go when to help gets back. The helpers is there to lower the time spent not moving to the next stop. Which means they do the running, I do the sorting and driving and route planning.

If the helpers don't like the working condition the helper can quit. The working condition in my car are not up to debate or discussion I'm responsible for everything. the only thin the helper is responsible for is show up on time and some have problems doing that.

Last edited: