Yearly ride along observation with sup

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They have a couple of long time drivers in their sights as we speak----both for production issues.

My guess, is these are the guys who won't be worried about being in anyone's sights. That's typically how it goes where I'm from. Most long time drivers know this comes every year or so.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
At least you didn't get a ride with two of them..One new sup in the jump seat and the old crusty mgr standing in the cab holding on for dear life...I've heard stories about that happening...lol
Stories? I had 3 one day. Package sup, center manager and DM.

And this was before jumpseats.

1 on the bottom step by the door.

1 on the top step.

1 in the bulkhead door opening.

They were trying to find out why I was 2 hours over everyday. The day they all road with me I was 3 hours over.

Next day and from then on I was close to scratch.

I didn't work any differently. They changed the time allowances on my route.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
They have a couple of long time drivers in their sights as we speak----both for production issues.
As long as the drivers are working safely,by the methods and arent stealing time management cant pull the trigger. This whole idea of management 'having it in" for drivers over Production Issues is nothing but a clear sign of a lack of leadership and the reliance of Fear and Intimidation for a poor substitute. in 31 years i have never ever seen anyone fired or even disciplined over production.We have drivers in our center that ALWAYS run 4-5 hours OA,and the telematics can find no problems or issues and these drivers get a check every week.its comical as these guys are top seniority drivers and management BEGS them to take a day or two off during the week because of the Arse Chewings Management gets over the mythical Overallowed Numbers

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Do the job 100% by the methods. If he talks saftey pull over and listen to him. Tell him you don't want to be distracted driving. Also don't talk about ups on your lunch break.
You go to lunch with your on car? I drop mine off and say see you in 60 minutes.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
4-5 hours over? Seriously??

Help me out here, Dave. I'm not disputing you, but I believe you recently posted that just about all the drivers in your center were done every day at around 8.5 hours.

These drivers you are mentioning now go out with 3.5-4.5 hour dispatches?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Wu*?

The drivers being targeted are an hour or less over per day.
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA our center manager would jump for joy over those kinds of numbers. In my experience a few good Harassment Grievances over production issues makes the wolves seek Sheep that wont fight back

box_beeyotch

I've always eat in my truck or sat at a park. I pack my lunch. If the guys not a dick I'll sit and talk to them. They usually want to hear my stories anyway.

Last time I had a ride along, my on car sup had me drop him off during my lunch break at his house, and I went and met up with one of the female customers on said route for a little lunch time fun. Of course I was then bored for the other 59 minutes of my break.

JackStraw

If you perform better on your ride along, sure as :censored2:, they're gonna bring it up. "Hey when I was with you, your were 50 clicks better" et al. Follow the methods, work safely, and remember. You're human. YOU ARE GONNA MAKE MISTAKES.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you perform better on your ride along, sure as :censored2:, they're gonna bring it up. "Hey when I was with you, your were 50 clicks better" et al. Follow the methods, work safely, and remember. You're human. YOU ARE GONNA MAKE MISTAKES.
My on-car never rides a full day with me ever so he can't say "you did better with me..." He always plans to meet up with another driver after a couple hours so he can bail. Even when he had to do a safety ride the day after a minor accident he only rode with me for 2 hours. I guess there are some benefits to working in the ghetto.

rod

Retired 22 years
Stories? I had 3 one day. Package sup, center manager and DM.

And this was before jumpseats.

1 on the bottom step by the door.

1 on the top step.

1 in the bulkhead door opening.

They were trying to find out why I was 2 hours over everyday. The day they all road with me I was 3 hours over.

Next day and from then on I was close to scratch.

I didn't work any differently. They changed the time allowances on my route.

You're lucky. Most times they would just say that ride didn't count and leave you with a horse s--t time allowance.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Dead Serious. sure they get called in the office and either get Carrot or Stick but no discipline is issued. They retain the same OA numbers on the OJS. When ones SPOHR drops to single digits it gets attention lol
That's the key. As long as they maintain the same OA during an OJS and management can't find too much wrong, they are fine.

The problem arises when a driver consistently runs 2 hours OA and is close to scratch during an OJS.

This is where discipline comes in. Not for production numbers, but for not being able to do the job supervised as unsupervised.

A 1 day OJS will not invoke discipline, but you can bet that UPS will follow up with multiple rides on different days to get a base point.

If the driver cannot come close to this base point unsupervised, discipline will be coming.

Most drivers in this situation pick it up a little and come close to the base for the next 6 months and then start taking longer and longer.

Then the whole process starts all over again.

Most drivers also get sick of the rides and keep it close to ride numbers.