You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How would YOU have handled it?

I am also curious.

You approach the locked gate and are denied access. You sheet it accordingly; however, you notice that there us a phone number on the package.

Do you:

Call the number, explain the situation and try to set up a meet?

Try to indirect to the airport office?

Proceed to the next stop?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I am also curious.

You approach the locked gate and are denied access. You sheet it accordingly; however, you notice that there us a phone number on the package.

Do you:

Does UPS pay for your phone contract?

MAKAVELI

Same way YOU handled it. ;)
No how did YOU handle it?

It's so frustrating when management tells you to do something that screws over the customer. I had an early pkg going to the terminal at the airport. Because I don't have a SIDA badge, and no one working today supposedly has one, I was told to code it up as Closed/not in-customer controlled access. So the shipper pays big bucks to get it here and we don't even bother to deliver it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Either or. Point is a 30 second phone call to take care of a customer is well worth it regardless of who is paying for it.

If I am driving all the way to the airport I damn sure am leaving empty handed.

outtatime

I am also curious.

Do you:

I'm not using my personal phone to call a customer. Been down that road before with a customer calling back repeatedly asking what time I can reattempt.

I'd send a message to Dispatch asking them to handle it. I don't have time to wait around while a customer does/does not show up in a timely fashion. If Dispatch is successful in reaching the customer I can meet them when ALL my other deliveries are made and I'm heading back that way. Or they can get the package at the Station after 1PM.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Either or. Point is a 30 second phone call to take care of a customer is well worth it regardless of who is paying for it.

If I am driving all the way to the airport I damn sure am leaving empty handed.

Right, wouldn't want to have a 51 mile day. Looks bad on the reports,

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had an Amazon package on my car that was supposed to go to the mall. It was addressed to an Asian person so I was pretty sure it went to the nail salon. Amazon includes the consignee's phone number within the series of numbers along the bottom of the label. I called them for confirmation. They kept calling me back to the point where I blocked their number on my iPhone.

outtatime

I had an Amazon package on my car that was supposed to go to the mall. It was addressed to an Asian person so I was pretty sure it went to the nail salon. Amazon includes the consignee's phone number within the series of numbers along the bottom of the label. I called them for confirmation. They kept calling me back to the point where I blocked their number on my iPhone.
Exactly why calling a customer is a bad idea.

And you shouldn't stereotype people. :)

McFeely

Huge Member
I got to deliver a package on my way home last night to a corrected resi address for 42 minutes of overtime + mileage in my personal vehicle. I'll do that but I'm done using my personal phone to call customers.

Unless she's hot.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

*67 back in the day,i would make Hurculean efforts to complete a delivery; not any more.

Don't care

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The airport is one of the worst places to deliver to. There are so many delivery points. That god forsaken place was on my training route.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
They provide the 22% discount.

OMG, Dave!

Verizon offers the 22% discount to UPS people. UPS provides nothing more than the name.

Verizon offers discounts to many companies and institutions, and trust me, they still make money on the discounted accounts.

Oldfart

A friend of mine worked today and called me afterwards. She had a FO letter for an airport. The place at the airport where it was going, a SIDA badge is required to deliver there. There are are only about three people at the station with SIDA badges, none working today. She was instructed to code it up as a DEX 8 (closed/not in) customer controlled access. Seriously?!?! Is this the point that our customer service has been reduced to?
A customer in a secured location has to know the procedures that it takes to gain access for delivery. Those are FAA and Homeland Security rules. The government guidelines required to get a SIDA badge can be ridiculous. We have an Air Force Base here to contend with. Sometimes the entire base is shutdown because of a security threat. Badge or not, you are not getting in. The best you can do in the OP question is have dispatch call the customer and request them to come to the courier. It is like a homeowner that lives in a gated community and doesn't answer the intercom. They decided to live behind a gate. If you cant follow someone in or get someone to open the gate, the delivery can't be completed. As far as using your own phone to call a customer, I won't do it for the reasons people have already discussed. Future phone calls from the customer will result. Our SM has instructed us to never use your phone for customer contact. We had a customer complain that a courier was calling after hours wanting to meet. We all knew it was a bogus complaint because that courier isn't into women. You can only do what is within reason to complete a delivery. Just like idiot couriers that have signed a customers name on a pad because they knew the customer needed the package. Then they get fired for falsification. The customer didnt need it too bad or he would have been at home to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.