You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I would have attempted delivery as addressed and then indirected it to the airport office.

But that's just me.
You must have extra time to kill on your route to do that. Besides the airport office would probably just give you a big hassle.

Which is why Express will always be second best.
Are you serious? Because we refuse to call customers on our cellphones that WE pay for? You're clueless.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I am also curious.

You approach the locked gate and are denied access. You sheet it accordingly; however, you notice that there us a phone number on the package.

Do you:

Call the number, explain the situation and try to set up a meet?

Try to indirect to the airport office?

Proceed to the next stop?
You send dispatch a message describing the situation, wait 30 minutes or more for a reply because it's Saturday, stare incredulously at the Powerpad message asking if you knocked on the door, give it the mandated second attempt, and THEN code it as Not in/CCA, and take your mandated break because the BS that is Fedex requires it because you just went one minute over 6 hours, then stare incredulously at the Powerpad message asking you to drive 30 minutes back and give it one last attempt.

Nolimitz

The government guidelines required to get a SIDA badge can be ridiculous.

Our station is on airport property and 100% of employees are SIDA badged it cant be that tough. the testing could be passed by a maroon and it's basically two hours of free paid time every two years

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our station is on airport property and 100% of employees are SIDA badged it cant be that tough. the testing could be passed by a maroon and it's basically two hours of free paid time every two years

The background check is what trips most applicants up.

Oldfart

Just consider a station that is not on the airport. You have 150 couriers and each 1 is MIGHT need that badge. Who do you send? When do you send them. The badge center here is only open 3 days a week and 1 of those days it is only open till noon. I never said the test was tough. The hours of operation and the convenience part is the problem. Oh yea, don't forget. Our center ONLY takes MONEY ORDERS and regardless of what the web site says, the name the money order needs to be made out to changes once a year. Last month I had a money order made out to who the website said it needed to be made out to. I get there and find out the TSA had changed contractors AGAIN. I had to go buy another money order and have to wait 60 days or so to get my refund on the wrong money order. FDX refunded my money on the second money order in less than a week.

outtatime

A customer in a secured location has to know the procedures that it takes to gain access for delivery. Those are FAA and Homeland Security rules. The government guidelines required to get a SIDA badge can be ridiculous. We have an Air Force Base here to contend with. Sometimes the entire base is shutdown because of a security threat. Badge or not, you are not getting in. The best you can do in the OP question is have dispatch call the customer and request them to come to the courier. It is like a homeowner that lives in a gated community and doesn't answer the intercom. They decided to live behind a gate. If you cant follow someone in or get someone to open the gate, the delivery can't be completed. As far as using your own phone to call a customer, I won't do it for the reasons people have already discussed. Future phone calls from the customer will result. Our SM has instructed us to never use your phone for customer contact. We had a customer complain that a courier was calling after hours wanting to meet. We all knew it was a bogus complaint because that courier isn't into women. You can only do what is within reason to complete a delivery. Just like idiot couriers that have signed a customers name on a pad because they knew the customer needed the package. Then they get fired for falsification. The customer didnt need it too bad or he would have been at home to accept it.
I cannot agree more with this statement. Other people on here act like making every delivery is a life or death situation and you should do everything humanly possible for it. I'm curious if this package in question was an actual Sat FO, or a Mon FO the couriers manager was trying to get delivered early so he wouldn't have to send someone there Monday morning at 6am.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I cannot agree more with this statement. Other people on here act like making every delivery is a life or death situation and you should do everything humanly possible for it. I'm curious if this package in question was an actual Sat FO, or a Mon FO the couriers manager was trying to get delivered early so he wouldn't have to send someone there Monday morning at 6am.

Regardless someone paid a premium for Express to get it there and you should make every reasonable effort to get it delivered within the prescribed methods. No one is saying you should climb the fence and hand deliver it to the consignee but if there is a phone number I am going to call the consignee.

McFeely

Huge Member
I would have raised the question to my manager BEFORE leaving the station so it can be handled correctly such as calling the customer and explaining to them the situation.

Hell, 90% of our Saturday drivers wouldn't even recognize an airport address on a package if it slapped them on the face. They load their trucks in the morning, van scan everything, put all the stops in their phones and go on their way.

It's not until halfway through their route do they even realize they accidentally took another route's package or that they have 2 addresses that didn't plot correctly. Our Saturday crew is like a revolving door of newbies and mandated full-timers who just want to go home.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly why calling a customer is a bad idea.

And you shouldn't stereotype people. :)

Perhaps he should have taken the package to the laundry or the Panda Express as Route66 suggested. Actually, it probably went to the owner of the mall, or perhaps the mall manager. Most Asians I know are professionals, including several attorneys, a judge, and a bunch of doctors. They don't usually take manual labor jobs like ours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps he should have taken the package to the laundry or the Panda Express as Route66 suggested. Actually, it probably went to the owner of the mall, or perhaps the mall manager. Most Asians I know are professionals, including several attorneys, a judge, and a bunch of doctors. They don't usually take manual labor jobs like ours.

Our mall is owned by Pyramid Corporation out of Syracuse.

It went to the nail salon.

Profiling works.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Much like blacks and Hispanics, they are either going to school or are incarcerated.

Wow. I hope that was tongue in cheek, Dave. I don't see many Asians at either FedEx or UPS, and that's because they're generally doing much better than us. We do get some Asians who are immigrants, but not many.

And, yes, Asians are well-known to have a high criminal quotient...opium dens, tong gangs etc. Try looking up crime stats on Asians.

Purplepackage

Wow. I hope that was tongue in cheek, Dave. I don't see many Asians at either FedEx or UPS, and that's because they're generally doing much better than us. We do get some Asians who are immigrants, but not many.

Though he sounds like a slight bigot (which i assume he is), there are virtually none of those races up in maine either.

Status
Not open for further replies.