You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFeely

Huge Member
Can anybody give me a good reason why there would be a need FO service in these highly remote areas?

Not saying it's a justified business decision, but I did have quite a few businesses on my old rural route that were pretty tired of getting their packages (payroll, equipment, parts, etc) at 16:00. I had one company that consistently got their packages at around 16:20, so on time, but very useless for a business that day. I always told them if they really wanted their stuff earlier that they should have it held at the station and pick it up in the morning.

dex 84

Some routes have areas so remote that you can only deliver there after the on call cutoff time because if you deliver there and leave and then someone calls in a pickup and you have to go back it makes it impossible to finish your route.

Purplepackage

Some routes have areas so remote that you can only deliver there after the on call cutoff time because if you deliver there and leave and then someone calls in a pickup and you have to go back it makes it impossible to finish your route.

we have 2 areas where the on call cutoff is 1pm im pretty sure. and the latest on call cut off on that route is 3:30 and thats only because you have to drive back to that area for regulars

Star B

White Lightening
Can anybody give me a good reason why there would be a need FO service in these highly remote areas?
Because they feel there is a need and will charge for it. Who's to say that they won't charge $250.00+ for a 5lbs package to the middle of nowhere?

I say let them offer it, but make sure the staffing is there to handle it and to provide service. Our problem is that the latter idea has gone by the wayside in search for profits.

bacha29

You have that problem at every one of the x units. It is an unbelievably city minded company that has ignored the rural areas instead believing that the rural areas will somehow find a way to keep up. Eventually it will reach a breaking point.

Purplepackage

You have that problem at every one of the x units. It is an unbelievably city minded company that has ignored the rural areas instead believing that the rural areas will somehow find a way to keep up. Eventually it will reach a breaking point.

Im surprised we don't add extra shipping costs for those way out areas. Especially when they send 1 driver out to drive 300 miles for 60 stops and 1-2 hours of overtime a day

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Because they feel there is a need and will charge for it. Who's to say that they won't charge $250.00+ for a 5lbs package to the middle of nowhere?

I say let them offer it, but make sure the staffing is there to handle it and to provide service. Our problem is that the latter idea has gone by the wayside in search for profits.
That's why they need extra drivers virtually everywhere to do nothing but FO deliveries. Instead X cuts corners and wants FO drivers back at the station to do P1 routes or just dumps the FO stops on full-time extended routes and tells them "have at it."

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

It would probably operate like the expanded FO zips in this area. The markup on that service for those zip codes is enough that they are profitable even in the event of a high failure rate.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It would probably operate like the expanded FO zips in this area. The markup on that service for those zip codes is enough that they are profitable even in the event of a high failure rate.

Right. So the customer pays for service they don't get, and Fred won't refund their money.

outtatime

Not saying it's a justified business decision, but I did have quite a few businesses on my old rural route that were pretty tired of getting their packages (payroll, equipment, parts, etc) at 16:00. I had one company that consistently got their packages at around 16:20, so on time, but very useless for a business that day. I always told them if they really wanted their stuff earlier that they should have it held at the station and pick it up in the morning.
Well what do they expect when they're in the middle of NOWHERE?

Star B

White Lightening

Well, when they lived in Suburbia, they got their newspapers by 6:30, P1 by 10:30... and they just moved a teeny little bit out of town! (96mi to be exact)... so they can't see a reason why they can't have their FO by 8:30 still.

I'm biased however, I used to live in the sticks and then the yuppies came and complained.

just dumps the FO stops on full-time extended routes and tells them "have at it."

I'm sure this is what will happen.

McFeely

Huge Member

This particular zip code is 20 min from my station. Their PO commit time is 16:30. We have 10:30 commit areas that are 90 minutes from the station.

Sucks that they have a biz at the end of a delivery route and sucks that I had to run it a particular way to make service all day long. But those are the customers that might pay for FO service.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My district is having a job fair coming up. Some of us were looking at the flyer they posted in our station. We were all amazed to see one of the lines that said, No minimum education required. What?!?! Seriously? Are we that desperate???

I was talking to the only manager in my station with any seniority. I thought we had so many new managers in our building because our SM wanted younguns he could control (he's a major control freak). Nope. He can't get anyone else! No one applies for manager positions at my station. Lol.

Purplepackage

My district is having a job fair coming up. Some of us were looking at the flyer they posted in our station. We were all amazed to see one of the lines that said, No minimum education required. What?!?! Seriously? Are we that desperate???

I was talking to the only manager in my station with any seniority. I thought we had so many new managers in our building because our SM wanted younguns he could control (he's a major control freak). Nope. He can't get anyone else! No one applies for manager positions at my station. Lol.

Seniors love young fresh managers that can turn into drones that do whatever they say. We had an ops manager at our station for 20 years, a senior came that he's worked with before and magically he took a ramp manager position

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Seniors love young fresh managers that can turn into drones that do whatever they say. We had an ops manager at our station for 20 years, a senior came that he's worked with before and magically he took a ramp manager position
The mgr I was talking to just transferred back to my station because the station he was at just got a SM who is well known in my district for being a major D*. He put in for a transfer a week after the SM got there. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.