you GOT to read this from make ups deliver

FEGuy

UPS doesn't give a rats' ass if UPS Freight unionizes. Write it down, you heard it here. It will be used as a carrot and Teamsters will jump at it. A "huge win" for organized labor, and a non-issue for the company.
UPS has been dealing with unions for what? 70 years? They know how to, and don't fear it. It will be just more of the same for them, getting god knows what in concessionary returns, and you, my brothers, will never know what hit you.

bear123

I think you're wrong, Bear. This is why. Even if these guys go union, they won't be making the same $$ as a package car or feeder driver--at least not immediately. I won't even hazard a guess on how long it would take for the pay to catch up, if it ever would. As a result, UPS saves money on the delivery end. Since I'm not clear on what dockworkers make, I couldn't even begin to guess what UPS would save there. Maybe I'M wrong about the economics. -Rocky

good point Rocky. Unless, UPS Freight drivers, just like package car drivers who come from the hub, they make top pay in two years.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
good point Rocky. Unless, UPS Freight drivers, just like package car drivers who come from the hub, they make top pay in two years.

Once again, I think you're wrong, Bear. I think the progression is the result of the union contract. If it wasn't for that.......anyone want to guess how long it would take to make top rate?? The demand for CDL drivers right now doesn't allow for a much longer lag time. In addition, many times drivers can go elsewhere and make more money--sometimes $30/hr+ if I'm not mistaken. However...who's to say that'll last? -Rocky

I don`t see anything about picking up,sorting or delivery in this post. What I see is UPS Freight moving sets and long boxes from point to point. For example package would pick up,pkg center would sort and load,and Freight would take to a distant sorting or destination center. it would not affect package or local feeder but would eat into the long haul feeder area. The ONE area I would be for this is where we have independent contractors delivering loads to our bldg. If Freight was used to bring freight from the customer,undercutting the contractors,at least UPS workers would be bringing the work and generating additional revenue.

It would affect the local feeders, for a example we have severalfeeder runs that are just cpu's so if freight was to do these it would take away several feeder jobs from my hub alone. Thats why i hope no one would goforit because it would take away 1000's of jobs.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
It would affect the local feeders, for a example we have severalfeeder runs that are just cpu's so if freight was to do these it would take away several feeder jobs from my hub alone. Thats why i hope no one would goforit because it would take away 1000's of jobs.

this is hard to say but anything can happen.........