Younger Generations...

Serf

College is a racket. Trade school is highly underrated. Even the military was a good option for quite some time. ( I think they just recently made lame flu shot not a requirement) because they couldn’t get anyone to enlist.

newolddude

College is a racket. Trade school is highly underrated. Even the military was a good option for quite some time. ( I think they just recently made lame flu shot not a requirement) because they couldn’t get anyone to enlist.
The problem is the boomers drilled it in to their Gen X/Millenial/Gen Z kids that they'd be worth nothing if they didn't go to college and that college was a guaranteed ticket to the middle class. (Like it was for them.)

I know it's easy and cool to make fun of those that went to college, but a lot of them also got sold a false bill of goods.

Thebrownblob

The problem is the boomers drilled it in to their Gen X/Millenial/Gen Z kids that they'd be worth nothing if they didn't go to college and that college was a guaranteed ticket to the middle class. (Like it was for them.)

I know it's easy and cool to make fun of those that went to college, but a lot of them also got sold a false bill of goods.
Absolutely right

newolddude

I also remember when I came out of high school and had a friend who's dad and grandfather were both steamfitters. They sent him off to college even though he was an average student. Partly because that's what the peer pressure was and because the only apprentices they were taking on were sons of connected union heads and other buttkissers. Rank and file guys couldn't get the sons on.

He spent 3 wasted years in college and ended up being a union glazier (glass fitter).

Now the steamfitters run print, online and radio ads looking for apprentices.

Thebrownblob

I started in 1979. $10.70 an hour. Top pay.
Did the inflation calculator. Compared 2023 to 1979. It’s $43.92
I’m not sure I would say what we make is chump change. The better and more valid argument is are we paid according to our worth? This company gets a lot of value out of one driver. Most people do not want to work this hard, this long, this many hours with the kind of management we have, nor will they.

How much is that worth? We shall find out.

Mutineer

because the only apprentices they were taking on were sons of connected union heads and other buttkissers.

When myself, and others I knew were endeavoring to learn ANY skilled trade, that is exactly what we all experienced.

It was and is a Jimbobwe, good ol' boy, nepotistic system of who yer daddy is, and who yer mom boinked.
Now the steamfitters run print, online and radio ads looking for apprentices.

To add insult to injury, those same people are screeching "Americans don't want to work, weee neeed mooore immigrants!"

The irony would be amusing if it weren't so purposely planned and malicious.

vantexan

When myself, and others I knew were endeavoring to learn ANY skilled trade, that is exactly what we all experienced.

It was and is a Jimbobwe, good ol' boy, nepotistic system of who yer daddy is, and who yer mom boinked.

To add insult to injury, those same people are screeching "Americans don't want to work, weee neeed mooore immigrants!"

The irony would be amusing if it weren't so purposely planned and malicious.
As Robert Frost once remarked: "The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them."

There is a percentage of people who'll work hard and do it willingly. I'll wager that percentage is higher among immigrants, legal or otherwise, because they recognize the opportunities they have here that they would never have back home. If you think nepotism is bad here then look at countries with a very limited economic pie and the rich and powerful hog most of it for themselves.

If the U.S. eventually gave everyone a monthly guaranteed income payment consider how many would make do with that rather than get a job to do better. We really would have to import millions of people then. I can speak from experience. My pension is $22k a year. I've got some physical issues and tried some warehouse work. I'd rather do without than do that for money and figured that out pretty quick. I just turned 61 and since retiring 6 years ago have had only one job that paid anything and lasted more than 3 weeks. Drove all over the country and after 7 months was exhausted with limited sleep. Would still be doing that otherwise. But the warehouse jobs go wanting with constant turnover because many find they don't want to do that for low pay for a long period of time. Not worth it.