Your most embarrasing or funny moment while on the job.

SimpleUPSer

This is a funny one, not something done by UPS, but by the USPS.

I'm at my brother's house, we had been gone for the weekend somewhere and he checks his mail. One of his letters had the following written on it "No trail, No mail" due to the steps not being cleaned of snow.

Needless to say he was ticked off, but I thought it quite funny. Surprised that they would actually write on one of the letters, but funny none-the-less.

It must be good to be a monopoly :)

Sammie

When drivers bring packages back to the building at night, invariably
some of the packages break open and the contents fall out, or the labels
come off and these packages or what was in them end up in our 'overgoods' department.

It doesn't take the shipper long to find out his customer didn't receive a product and shippers would call my department, which was 'inside sales' to try and find what was missing.

One of my customers was an adult entertainment supply house and their items are pretty hard core. This company called me one day because a package of their movies was missing and they told me the list of the movies that were in the package. I in turn read these titles to our 'overgoods' department. The items were found in our hub but in the meantime, all my co workers heard was me on the phone reading off the names of films like "Debbie Does the Dallas Coyboys" and other titles that would get me kicked off this site. The very proper and very religious girl who sat next to me summed up quite well what the rest of them were thinking after my phone call (this being a Friday afternoon) - "Sounds like YOU'RE going to have an interesting weekend...."

They thought I was placing an order for movies that I would be watching!! :ohmy::sad::laugh:

govols019

You smell that?
Had a buddy deliver to a shop where he dropped the package off with the woman at the desk. As he was leaving the owner walked up to the truck asking where the package was. My buddy said, "I left it with your mother." to which the owner of the shop replied, "That's my wife not my mother."

rod

Retired 22 years
Had a guy bring in a package to the receiving counter that had been delivered that day. Said he wanted to refuse it because it wasn't what he expected. The package was open- it was a blow up doll :)

I don't really have anything that is a "stand out of the crowd, funnier than ever" moment, but there was numerous times where my driver or I slipped either getting on the truck or while walking. On the passenger side of the package truck, where the jumpseat is, the middle step has the truck battery under it, and more than once did I trip on that step because of it being an open cover(to access the battery). That was definitely annoying.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
delivering in the dark and cold, park the truck to make two deliveries, one on each side of the street, open drivers door take both pkgs, deliver hse on left side of street than house on right side of street, then proceed to jump back in truck from passenger side only to realize passenger door was closed. roll backwards on ground, get up, walk slowly back to truck OPEN passenger door, get in and try to remember lesson learned:knockedout:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
When delivering to a local pro shop of one of our many golf courses, I had a heavy packages and held it between me and the outside of the building while I opened the door. Well the bottom opened up and out came golf balls rolling and bouncing all over the place down the sidewalk all over the parking lot. People running after them helping me round them up. It was a pretty good-sized box probably at least 150 balls loose in it. Range balls I would assume since they weren't packaged.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
delivering in the dark and cold, park the truck to make two deliveries, one on each side of the street, open drivers door take both pkgs, deliver hse on left side of street than house on right side of street, then proceed to jump back in truck from passenger side only to realize passenger door was closed. roll backwards on ground, get up, walk slowly back to truck OPEN passenger door, get in and try to remember lesson learned:knockedout:

roflmaf

Tony31yrs

When we first got the diads, I was walking back from a suburban residential delivery and as I walked back to the car while punching in info with my head down, I was cold-cocked by a horizontal branch that was about 5'9" above the ground (I'm 5'11"). It was like someone hit me across the forehead with a bat. I went down like I was shot, but bounced up quick as I went down before anyone saw me. When I got back to the car, I went into the back to clear my head and swear like crazy. I had a bump for days.

This is more of a practical joke...

When I was a small sorter we had to carry around tote boxes quite a bit. There was a damaged box with bottles of hand lotion in it. So we secretly smeared some of the lotion on the outside of a tote box. The next guy who picked up the tote box got hand lotion smeared all over the front of his pants. We all got a good laugh out of it.

55andout?

Years ago while making a pickup I took a world class slip and fall on the ice and split my pants. It was a cold day and it got even colder with my jacket wrapped around my waist.

tunemixer

I was delivering a NDA letter to a guy who had been laid off from IBM. I grabbed the storm door handle with the hand that had the letter in it. I let go of the letter and it fell straight down between the house and the steps.At that very moment the guy opened the front door and there I was empty handed. The steps were made of cement so we couldn't move the steps.The crack between the house and the steps couldn't have been more than a half an inch.The odds of that ever happening were so low I prbably had better odds of getting struck by lightening. I had to call the center and tell my manager what happened. He told me to continue on my route. I later found out it was a job offer. They had to track the letter and have the shipper fax the documents to the center and they brought them back the the receiver.That letter is probably still under those steps.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
When I was a rookie I covered the route on the beach... tons of condos. By thursday I thought I had the route dialed in a little bit and feeling good about myself I strolled into an elevator twirling my keys. I promptly dropped said keys and watched as they fell through that little gap between the elevator floor and the edge of the building. That was the day I became longlunchguy!

BoogaBooga

I was filling in on an in-town bulk commercial route on a very hot, humid summer day. I made an afternoon delivery at a Doctor's office that was crowded with patients. The air conditioning felt great. So I decided to get a cool drink from the water fountain. I bent over the fountain, and pushed the button, anxiously awaiting the cold water. The water came out so forcibly, that my entire face was covered with water. It came out so strong that the water even went up my nose. I started coughing, and I cut a very LOUD fart. All of the patients were in hysterics, I mustered what little dignity I had, shrugged my shoulders, and listened to the roar of laughter out the door.:laughing:

Docparcel79

I was delivering in a cul-de-sac neighborhood finishing up my last 5 stops. Previsouly I had just got done doing PUS. I put the safety chain on the back of the truck at the last PU. Back to delivering I went into the back to retrive the package and I happaned to slip on a long titaium roll I had picked up, I rocked the truck , and there goes the bulk head door slamming shut!! Mind you I'm in one of the oldest UPS trucks we get, the one's that lock without being able to open from the back!!! I was with out my cell phone and DIAD(in the cab) NO WAY TO GET OUT. I was locked in the back for an 1 1/2 hour in the middle of the summer. Thank god that a women was walking by with her pooch and heard me screeming in front of her house. She called the 1 800 number and sure enough a sup came out and unlocked me. I was the laughin stock for sometime

old brown shoe

30 year driver
There have been so many over the years but one of my favorites. We use to load our own trucks and we had a guy that would pick up any piece of pipe, hose or anything like that and try to do his famous elk bugle in it. So one day we took a radiator hose and smeared old black grease inside of it and let it go down the belt. Sure enough he picked it up and blew threw it. Everyone was gut rolling the rest of the sort and he could not figure out what was so funny. The best part was when he got in his truck and left and had this big black ring around his mouth. Not sure how long before one of his customers asked him about it. After that we never herd a elk bugle on the sort again. Guess it's not my most embarrassing moment but maybe his.
:happy-very:

doctor brown 688

Was running a split car mid July helping 3 or 4 drivers in the same general area.Guy gives me this stop and at the time remember thinking to myself you'll be closer to this than me,but took the stop anyway.
I get there and the lady comes to the door butt naked...............
she's about 80...................................and you guessed it signature required. Kinda like a car wreck ,you gotta look! I saw the driver later that night and told him thanks for giving me such a wonderful stop,he laughed and teased me for weeks.Apparently this is normal behavior when you live in the middle of no where,he had found this out the hard way also.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
When I was a rookie I covered the route on the beach... tons of condos. By thursday I thought I had the route dialed in a little bit and feeling good about myself I strolled into an elevator twirling my keys. I promptly dropped said keys and watched as they fell through that little gap between the elevator floor and the edge of the building. That was the day I became longlunchguy!

My buddy did the same thing with his cell phone.

My most embarrassing moment probably would have to be last summer when I was picking up at a seed plant just outside of the city. They had just re-gravelled the parking lot and the gravel was still pretty loose. Well, me being in a bit of a hurry, jumped out of the package car, and went to walk around the front of the car, when all of a sudden the gravel gave way which sent me falling shoulder first into the front bumper.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I was delivering in a cul-de-sac neighborhood finishing up my last 5 stops. Previsouly I had just got done doing PUS. I put the safety chain on the back of the truck at the last PU. Back to delivering I went into the back to retrive the package and I happaned to slip on a long titaium roll I had picked up, I rocked the truck , and there goes the bulk head door slamming shut!! Mind you I'm in one of the oldest UPS trucks we get, the one's that lock without being able to open from the back!!! I was with out my cell phone and DIAD(in the cab) NO WAY TO GET OUT. I was locked in the back for an 1 1/2 hour in the middle of the summer. Thank god that a women was walking by with her pooch and heard me screeming in front of her house. She called the 1 800 number and sure enough a sup came out and unlocked me. I was the laughin stock for sometime

Thank goodness you weren't injured from the heat.............. but since you weren't hurt:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: